Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2009, 23:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Isnt it the -ve terminal of the battery which is always disconencted when the ECU needs to be reset? Could someone enlighten if disconnecting the +ve terminal would make a difference? I'm stumped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
+1
even m confused how?
Disconnecting the +ve terminal will not make any difference. I have done it a couple of times without any problems.

Vidyuth - There is no battery inside the speedometer cluster. It runs of the car's battery and writes the odo values onto a non-erasable memory during shutdown.
Old 5th May 2009, 00:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

Right. I'd actually disconnected the +ve terminal long time back, during the installation for the angel eyes. Nothing happened then.

Anyways, hope the problem gets fixed with a change in the speedo cluster.

phamilyman,
As much I am happy that I might have gained something during resale, I also was waiting for hitting the 10k mark to start a long term ownership report lol.

Surprise,
The 1000 and 5000 km services are over and are noted down in the manual. When the new odo cracks another 5k, I'll take it for a 10k service. Not sure if it is just CARS India, I really found MASS very helpful. Or maybe its the Skoda effect
Old 29th May 2009, 23:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

After 1 month, and ordering 2 incorrect speedos (1 was for VXi and another for old ZXi), MASS have finally fixed the Speedometer! Got it replaced under warranty.

Don't think anyone has posted a 0 odo count pic on Team-Bhp
Attached Thumbnails
Odometer Reset - 5009 to 33 kms-29052009124.jpg  

Last edited by Fountainheader : 29th May 2009 at 23:53.
Fountainheader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2009, 23:59   #34
BHPian

Never Seen any car with 0km even in showrooms.
Old 31st May 2009, 07:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Surprise,
The 1000 and 5000 km services are over and are noted down in the manual. When the new odo cracks another 5k, I'll take it for a 10k service. Not sure if it is just CARS India, I really found MASS very helpful. Or maybe its the Skoda effect
Hope you do not run around to explain people why the car is there for a 10k kms service, when the ODO shows only 5K kms. Different people handle at different times & they should not confuse with standard service procedure involved for certain kms, which does not applicable for you as your ODO shows much lesser than what actually it has done.

Not sure whether something like this would be helpful in writing from Cars India

"Odometer got replaced under warranty at 'x' kms due to a faulty 'xyz'.
"Reg No" with "Chasis number' & "Engine number" has done "Y" kms when the Odometer got replaced. Please add "Y" kms with the current odometer reading to derive the actual kms done by the car.

You can just leave this self-explanatory letter to the service advisor at the time of leaving your car for service.
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:33   #36
BHPian

Hello all,

Old thread I found on search, reason for digging this up is, my problem carries similar symptoms - and primary diagnosis was that "ECU has hanged"

I drive i-10, Kappa 1.2L
Just yesterday, During my drive, I observed that the speedo was surging from my actual speed to bit higher, ( 60 to 80, and back, 60 to 100 and back..)
I stopped to check whats wrong.
Inspected and found nothing unusual/ no abnormal smell/sound/temperatures, etc.
Then my car refused to start!
We had to push-start our barely 1600km run new car! (was really painful to do that..)
Then, the Odo stuck at 1591km, and Trip stuck at 16.2km, and Speedo was showing "zero"
The tacho, however was showing the correct rpms. (fuel and engine heat was fine too)

We drove in same condition for about 20 minutes.
I also observed:
1. when I honked the horn, the speed seemed to come back up, but died again, (till I honked again)
2. If I raced the engine a bt more than 3000 rpm, then also the speedo surged a bit.

During the whole time, we also checked that, power windows(all) were working, indicators and horn were also fine.

I went to Hyundai
Please refer Post #44 here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...flavour-3.html

The Hyundai Guys fixed it and blamed it on the Terminator Remote Lock that I got fixed one week back.

The terminator fitment guy says, its not his fault.

I had seen at the service centre, that the "Hi-scan" showed "Speed circuit Malfunction!".

How to conclude the fault?
What would be the impact on ECU?

Do I need to do this:
How To Reset Your E.c.u. - Hyundai-Forums.com

What precautions to take now?

Care,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 23rd August 2010 at 18:35.
Old 24th August 2010, 09:41   #37
Senior - BHPian

[quote=driverace;2039254]Hello all,

Old thread I found on search, reason for digging this up is, my problem carries similar symptoms - and primary diagnosis was that "ECU has hanged"

I drive i-10, Kappa 1.2L
Just yesterday, D
I went to Hyundai
Please refer Post #44 here:

The Hyundai Guys fixed it and blamed it on the Terminator Remote Lock that I got fixed one week back.

The terminator fitment guy says, its not his fault.

I had seen at the service centre, that the "Hi-scan" showed "Speed circuit Malfunction!".

[/quote]
Surely not an ECU hang as every thing in ECU is working fine and it is recording the fault , As the fault says Speed Circuit Malfunction.

You need to ask Hyundai to check the speed sensor , It may be a poor quality control issue with sensors.

Did your remote lock fitting guy cut any ECU wire. If yes then Hyundai can void the warranty but this looks like sensor issue and not an ECU problem.
Old 24th August 2010, 10:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

The battery of my Alto was removed twice for replacing the left engine bed under warranty - once to identify/check the problem, and again after a month to actually replace it when the parts came from MSL.

Both times all the captured FM stations in the HU of my ICE got scrambled and I had to re-tune them, but my odometer never went back to zero. I fail to understand how it happened with the OP's Swift.
Old 24th August 2010, 18:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I fail to understand how it happened with the OP's Swift.
Haha. The best part was that even the MASS people could never understand what happened.
Old 24th August 2010, 20:55   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Surely not an ECU hang as every thing in ECU is working fine and it is recording the fault , As the fault says Speed Circuit Malfunction.

You need to ask Hyundai to check the speed sensor , It may be a poor quality control issue with sensors.

Did your remote lock fitting guy cut any ECU wire. If yes then Hyundai can void the warranty but this looks like sensor issue and not an ECU problem.
Well, the terminator guy did not cut any ECU wire.. (It would have died instantly then and there, wouldnt it? )
After fitment, I drove the car for some 2-3 kms.

The Hyundai guy's response was not very explanatory either.
while the problem was being rectified, they kept me away from workshop area.. :(
I was there only till I saw the scan showed "Speed circuit error"
And they came out saying that, it was terminator wiring problem (same as I have said in the previous post and here too:
)

Speed indicator is fine now!

Whats the black magic here?

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 24th August 2010 at 20:56.
Old 24th August 2010, 22:03   #41
BHPian

driverace, a few remote locks have a pre-programed action where in all doors would lock at a particular speed (say 20 km/hr) if the doors arent locked while starting the car. So there might have been a malfunction in the speed detection circuit. *possible*. I would suggest, you go in for OE hyundai remote lock (crosslink wheels). Could you post ome pictures of the terminator remote?
Old 24th August 2010, 22:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
driverace, a few remote locks have a pre-programed action where in all doors would lock at a particular speed (say 20 km/hr) if the doors arent locked while starting the car. So there might have been a malfunction in the speed detection circuit. *possible*. I would suggest, you go in for OE hyundai remote lock (crosslink wheels). Could you post ome pictures of the terminator remote?
Ya. Terminator lock system is with B/W 3 years!!
and, I rechecked, the Auto lock is after the car is cranked (not with speed.)
So, I assume, we can rule out that possibility.

Pic of the remote is here
Odometer Reset - 5009 to 33 kms-imag0048.jpg

The lock/unlock works fine, it did too, when I checked after it was installed.

Still looking.

Thanks for the reply MutantX!

Care,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 24th August 2010 at 22:20.
Old 24th August 2010, 22:22   #43
BHPian

looks similar to the Piranha remote lock. I use the Hyundai OE remote (crosslink wheels) which has "OK" features and I am fine with it. It was fitted by the dealers and carries 3 year warranty.
Old 25th August 2010, 09:22   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Well, the terminator guy did not cut any ECU wire.. (It would have died instantly then and there, wouldnt it? )
After fitment, I drove the car for some 2-3 kms.
No it would not have died if the wire was reconected and insulated again .
Actually there are various kinds of immobilizers some of them just deactivate starter motor using a relay and some send a code to ECU to immobilize ( Example Minda Indilock for Tata vehicles). Generally higher end variant comes with factory fitted immobilizer + remote but in lower variant
or sending the signal to ECU they need to tap the ECU wire.
Old 25th August 2010, 17:34   #45
BHPian

Quote:
No it would not have died if the wire was reconected and insulated again .
Actually there are various kinds of immobilizers some of them just deactivate starter motor using a relay and some send a code to ECU to immobilize ( Example Minda Indilock for Tata vehicles). Generally higher end variant comes with factory fitted immobilizer + remote but in lower variant
or sending the signal to ECU they need to tap the ECU wire.
Roger that!

I will try to find out, what that guy did, ECU method / Starter method.

I am guessing it has to be the starter method, or otherwise, Push start wouldnt have worked, ..

Thanks for the input.

Care,

Ace.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks