Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2009, 20:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

I got the HT coils checked and they say its fine. The surprising part is if there was incomplete combustion, the spark plugs color would tell it but they are pefectly normal.
Old 19th June 2009, 23:31   #32
BHPian

I had the problem which was almost similar to what you were facing. The issue was with a blocked breather tube/ EVAP Purge canister outlet.
its a small part which you can see inside the Right rear wheel arch, some what beneath the fuel filler cap. it is placed a bit closer to the rear shock strut.

Check whether you got mud over that, if so take it to a service station and ask them to pressure wash the canister. If you soak it out with some diesel before having pressure wash, even the hardest mud will come off.

Once you get the mud cleared off, remove the negative terminal cable from the battery for resetting the ECU. Put back the negative cable and recheck whether you have the issue.

PLEASE DO NOT WASH THE ENGINE BAY WHILE YOU ARE TROUBLESHOOTING THIS, OR YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO FIND THE DIFFERENCE, SINCE MOISTURE IN ENGINE BAY CAN SIMULATE THE SAME SYMPTOMS WHAT YOU ARE HAVING.
Old 20th June 2009, 09:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

@sunshine.. Thanks for the suggestion mate! Will surely check it out.
Old 20th June 2009, 09:48   #34
Senior - BHPian

Have you checked your Fuel Pump? I had been complaining that my 1.6 does not accelerate/ move at higher speeds as smoothly as it used to. I really needed to try if i wanted to move it up to 100km/hr and as soon as i take my legs off the accelerator the car used to come down to around 80km/hr within no time. Thought it was because the car was growing old and the service centre also was not able to find any fault. Off late the problem aggrevated and the engie also started to jerk. It has now been diagnosed as a fuel pump problem and as usual i am awaiting spares. Will check the issue with speed once the pump is replaced.

Please do check your pump, Fuel Pressure regulator, Air Filter, Cat CON.(a blocked cat-con could cause considerable loss of power)
Old 20th June 2009, 11:29   #35
BHPian

gemi,

he has already done the Fuel pump check and found it working perfectly. So a fuel pump fault is almost ruled out.
Old 18th July 2009, 10:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
@sunshine.. Thanks for the suggestion mate! Will surely check it out.
Hi extreme_torque, were you able to solve the problem? I am curious to know, since one of my relatives' Palio (1.2 Elx Petrol) is reported to have same problem of sluggish pick-up. Today they planned to give it for a service. Clutch plates is the one the mechanic suspecting on the face of it. Will have to wait, what it comes up to after the service, though. I'll update once I get to know. Meanwhile, if you could tell us the solution, if you were able to resolve it, it'd help.

Thanks,
KK
Old 18th July 2009, 14:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
PLEASE DO NOT WASH THE ENGINE BAY WHILE YOU ARE TROUBLESHOOTING THIS, OR YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO FIND THE DIFFERENCE, SINCE MOISTURE IN ENGINE BAY CAN SIMULATE THE SAME SYMPTOMS WHAT YOU ARE HAVING.
I promised to get back to E_T after my last post - am yet to get sufficient miles on the odo for me to be conclusive - but reading your post confirms one thing - while servicing my vehicle (@ BUBhandari, Pune) they had covered the ECM with plastic cover, and the service engineer remarked that they want to keep moisture out while pressure washing.

As for my last month's driving experience - started raining now in Pune, so the requirement of AC has come down - car labours up flyovers and inclines on 4th with AC on - no problem without the AC. On some days I feel this acutely - may be following this thread has made me more conscious about it and shifting gears!!

And, yes, I agree that if this a collective problem then FIAT should be appraised and hopefully they will be able to pinpoint the reason.
Old 23rd July 2009, 19:49   #38
BHPian

Seems to be Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishoryk View Post
I'll update once I get to know.
As expected, it turned out that the problem was with worn out clutch plates as well as broken gear box seal. My cousine could not notice any significant wear on the clutch plates. Also, he was told that, since the gear box seal broke, the oil leaked out into clutch plates assembly. Probably that could be the reason why the car was sluggish. The symptoms were that when you accelerate, engine revves up fine (one can see the RPM increase), however car does not move. Some times gear had to be lowered to sustain acceleration. Not sure, why or how the seal broke.

After the repair, it looks better. Needs to be observed, though. Just thought of sharing.

Tx,
KK
Old 15th December 2009, 18:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Update: The problem is still there. I took the car to an independent garage which specializes in Palio. The mechanic told me that it looks like a fuel pump issue but when opened we found out that the fuel pump is working absolutely fine. The spark plugs are coming out white at the tip instead of being light brown... what does this indicate?
I have now gone ahead and got CNG installed last week but the strange part is that the problem is still there and just like it was for petrol!!!! Anymore pointers guys???

Last edited by extreme_torque : 15th December 2009 at 18:30.
Old 15th December 2009, 18:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

There another thing I have noticed with my car. When I press the power window switch even though the windows are fully up, the headlights and the instrument console light dims slightly as if the power window switch is sapping power from the circuit when the car is running. With ignition on and the engine off it doesnt happen. I am now doubting if it is the alternator which isnt supplying the required amount of current. Give me some pointers guys, I have almost given up on this!
Old 17th December 2009, 13:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The problem is still there. I took the car to an independent garage which specializes in Palio. The mechanic told me that it looks like a fuel pump issue but when opened we found out that the fuel pump is working absolutely fine. The spark plugs are coming out white at the tip instead of being light brown... what does this indicate?
Hi, E_T! Thanks for waking me up - I was in some sort of hibernation, I guess!!

My Palio is now serviced, oil changed and niggling issues fixed. Have covered more than 2000 kms since then. Well, the driving experience is this - with AC on, in the 5th gear, it does pull me up the flyover - as long as I am alone, and there is some strain but not so bad that I have to down shift. Will passenger, it definitely feels sluggish - so I am forced to down shift. During service there was nothing abnormal noticed, and service engineer says it is not advisable to climb on 5th gear - which he says is overdrive and 4th gear is the best suited for flyovers in city and gentle uphills. Have to live with it, I guess.

The white tip on the spark plug means lean mixture - is it because of the gas kit you have fitted? May be other owners using gas will throw some light on this.

Quote:
There another thing I have noticed with my car. When I press the power window switch even though the windows are fully up, the headlights and the instrument console light dims slightly as if the power window switch is sapping power from the circuit when the car is running. With ignition on and the engine off it doesnt happen. I am now doubting if it is the alternator which isnt supplying the required amount of current. Give me some pointers guys, I have almost given up on this!
I too face the same problem - I first thought that the battery was weak (the indicator was showing white instead of green) and had it charged; now the indicator is back to green, but still same problem persists. While charging the battery, I got it confirmed that there is nothing wrong with my alternator. What I am thinking now is that - there are two bulbs on the headlight (hi/lo) = 60+55 = 115W*2 = 230W + all other items like running lights, power window switch lights, tail lamps etc. drawing power from the battery; so after cranking the engine, the battery power must have dipped down, which will get replenished after the drive. Whereas, without cranking the engine, the power is available fully. Is this the solution?
Old 17th December 2009, 14:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The spark plugs are coming out white at the tip instead of being light brown... what does this indicate?
White tip = Car is running too lean

Quote:
There another thing I have noticed with my car. When I press the power window switch even though the windows are fully up, the headlights and the instrument console light dims slightly as if the power window switch is sapping power from the circuit when the car is running.
Get the battery checked for replacement.
Old 17th December 2009, 15:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
Get the battery checked for replacement.
My car's battery is brand new. Just around 2 months old. As I said it doesnt happen when the engine in off and battery is powering everything. It happens when the engine is running.
Old 17th December 2009, 15:19   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
The white tip on the spark plug means lean mixture - is it because of the gas kit you have fitted? May be other owners using gas will throw some light on this.
No this was before I got the CNG installation done.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:12   #45
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Does your car have a EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve? Sometimes a malfunctioning valve saps engine power

If your car has a ecu and a catalytic converter then a faulty oxygen sensor can also bugger up engine performance

Last edited by DKG : 17th December 2009 at 16:16.

Most Viewed