Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2009, 16:48   #1
BHPian

Air-con Blower not working

so yesterday it was a scorcher and i was driving around. i stopped at a shop, got back in the car and turned the AC blower regulator. normally i keep the AC button always on and switch off only the fan so that when i turn the fan regulator, the AC comes on as well.

well yesterday, the AC button was glowing like it's on but the fan isn't working. i couldn't make out whether the compressor was being switched on. the fan isn't coming on even with the AC switch off.

so what are the possibilities i'm looking at? actually i know what are the possibilities, but i need to know approx costs of replacement if needed). and also i need to know that the compressor is ok. thanks in advance
Old 5th May 2009, 16:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Check the fuse. That would most probably be the culprit.
Old 5th May 2009, 16:57   #3
Team-BHP Support

Did you check the fuse? I am not sure, but there should be a fuse for the same. Do check if thats blown.
Old 5th May 2009, 17:03   #4
BHPian

nope haven't had the time to check. i will check it maybe tonight when i get back home. till i do, the possibilities build up in my head :(
Old 5th May 2009, 17:08   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
nope haven't had the time to check. i will check it maybe tonight when i get back home. till i do, the possibilities build up in my head :(
SS, do you have access to the manual, to know which is the fuse you're looking for? Else, please ask.
Old 5th May 2009, 17:32   #6
BHPian

ben: thanks yes i do have the user manual. also the 1.6 has the fuse numbers with functions printed on the cover panel.
Old 6th May 2009, 16:46   #7
BHPian

UPDATE:

fuse checked - it's ok.

then i had some work in richmond town, and once done i had some extra time and went over to metro ford for a quick check. so it turns out the compressor is ok. switch/regulator ok and the fuse is also ok. BUT they say that the motor will need to be opened to see what's up.

they also claimed it'll take 2 days! (something i find ridiculous).

but anyway, on the way back they had accidentally left the AC button on and the fan on as well and i noticed cool air coming through. the fan is working! it's not completely given up. BUT it's not as fast as before and hence the cooling is suffering slightly. so next step is open up the motor. i hope it can be serviced rather than replaced!
Old 10th September 2013, 16:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Linea - AC blower not working

I have been lately having issues with my car's air conditioning system, its a Fiat Linea 1.4 Emotion pack which comes with automatic climate control. Its 4 years old now with 44000 on the odo, its out of extended warranty now.

From the past 2 months, the climate control fan used to intermittently stop throwing cold air for 10-15 seconds and then came back on, the issue used to occur only once or twice a week so i didnt pay attention and just ignored it as the next service was only a few thousand km's away.

From today it has completely stopped working, i can hear the compressor clutch engaging but its not throwing any air inside, tried using heater but nothing, its behaving as if the blower motor has failed , tried searching online but think am the first one to have this issue.

What could have failed? Tried switching climate control fan fuse in the fuse box inside with something else but its not working, should i visit the Fiat ASC or some trusted outside mechanic?
Old 10th September 2013, 16:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea - AC blower not working

You mean the blower used to go off and then come on intermittently?
I had the same issue in my Linea,Blower resistor has blown,you will have to get it replaced for ~2600 bucks.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 17:07   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
You mean the blower used to go off and then come on intermittently?
I had the same issue in my Linea,Blower resistor has blown,you will have to get it replaced for ~2600 bucks.
Exactly the same issue akshay , it used to go off and then come on intermittently. So need to get the blower resistor changed? Any reason why it failed within 4 years? Also the cost of 2600 is at a fiat service centre or outside?
Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 17:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Exactly the same issue akshay , it used to go off and then come on intermittently. So need to get the blower resistor changed? Any reason why it failed within 4 years? Also the cost of 2600 is at a fiat service centre or outside?
Thanks
Mine failed in 3 years.2600 is at after sales.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 12:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

At Kashyap Fiat, Okhla, Delhi right now and their mechanic has diagnosed that the blower motor needs to be replaced, the wiring inside has melted for some reason, the part is in stock, cost 4500.
Old 11th September 2013, 16:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Air-con Blower not working

Since the car is out of warranty you might want to check with 99 RPM and see if they have it available - their prices could be considerably cheaper than Kashyap.

Quote:
At Kashyap Fiat, Okhla, Delhi right now and their mechanic has diagnosed that the blower motor needs to be replaced, the wiring inside has melted for some reason, the part is in stock, cost 4500.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 16:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Melted wiring,that is a serious issue,could have sparked a fire as well
Old 11th September 2013, 18:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

When a blower is changed, will it lead to a drop in the refrigerant gas? After a blower change in my car, the AC is not as effective as it used to be. I think there is a drop in the refrigerant gas. did you need to fill up / top up the R134 gas after a blower change?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks