Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2009, 21:07   #1
BANNED

Hi People,problems with getz 1.3!

Hi Guys,i had purchased a used march 2005 hyundai getz 1.3 GL in feb 2009 for 2.3 lakhs.At the time of purchase the odo was reading 41k.Since i was scouting for a car for my family use i went ahead because the deal looked tempting and because of the huge amount of space inside.I purchased the car from a used car agent in chennai.The car was scratchless from outside and the interiors also looked in good condition.I did a small test within city limits and was satisfied.I did not look further....settled the deal next day itself.Since my usage would be very limited i wasnt much concerned with its fuel efficiency....which i got around 10-11kms in the city with a/c.However here are a few grouses i had with the car:-

1.Engine sounds very noisy at high revs!

2.Sluggish pickup and performance....car stalls frequently in traffic.I had once taken the car for a trip to bangalore...overtaking was a pain...the car does not cross 100 howeva hard i tried.

3.Clutch was really hard...it gives mee pain in the foot!

4.Poor high speed stability...goes out of control unless u have a steady hand.Its running on narrow 13 inch rubber.

5.A lot of body roll while hitting bumps at low speeds.

6.Engine shudders and jerks a lot in 1st and 2nd gear!

I have been totally robbed of my driving pleasure because of these problems.Do you guys think i have purchased a defective car.One more thing i wanted to reveal was that i found out that the odo had been reset by the dealer because the october 2008 service records was showing it as 87k kms.Apart from these gruelling problems the car has been pretty fine with its spacious interiors and huge boot.Seats are also pretty comfortable.So any getz owners on this forum please help me ouuut!.What can i do to ensure that the car is perfect driving condition?What all actions have to be taken and how much expenses will it come to?I feel pretty sad because i had purchased the car with high expectations after reading the report of all the getz owners.So guyzzzzzz........plzzzzzzzzz help me out!!!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.
Also Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th May 2009 at 21:10. Reason: see note in post
Old 5th May 2009, 22:15   #2
BHPian

I have a Getz 1.3 GVS and don't have the issues you are highlighting

You have mentioned that the car has possibly done more than 87k kms. Issues 1 & 2 & 6 are probably due to lack of general service and tune up.

Issue 4: The stock 155 profile tire is not very encouraging, 175/70 is the recommended upgrade.

Issue 3: Did you have the clutch issue at the time of test drive? Looks like you need to replace the clutch components.

Issue 5: Getz has a fairly stiff suspension setup, and it does not glide over bumps at low speeds, looks like your shocks needs replacement

Not sure how much it is going to cost you fix all these, BTW did you review the service history prior to purchase? Did you identify any of these issues on your testdrive??
Old 6th May 2009, 00:35   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraveenM View Post
I have a Getz 1.3 GVS and don't have the issues you are highlighting

You have mentioned that the car has possibly done more than 87k kms. Issues 1 & 2 & 6 are probably due to lack of general service and tune up.

Issue 4: The stock 155 profile tire is not very encouraging, 175/70 is the recommended upgrade.

Issue 3: Did you have the clutch issue at the time of test drive? Looks like you need to replace the clutch components.

Issue 5: Getz has a fairly stiff suspension setup, and it does not glide over bumps at low speeds, looks like your shocks needs replacement

Not sure how much it is going to cost you fix all these, BTW did you review the service history prior to purchase? Did you identify any of these issues on your testdrive??
Thanx Praveen...the car had recently been serviced.Although i found an increase i pickup after that,the car is really sluggish in 3,4 & 5 gear.I often find many scooties and activas overtaking me in a traffic light sprint....wat the hell?One of the members had mentioned that the getz will do 100 in 3rd gear but mine seem to run out of breath at 60 before upshifting.A lot of racy engine noise intrudes into cabin at high revs.One great thing is gearshift is buttersmooth-can be operated with a single finger.Some of my frenz have achieved top speeds of 150-160 but mine seem to be running out of breath at 100 and is highly unstable at speed.Is there any components in the engine that can be checked or replaced or should the engine be rebored?Plzzz Help me out guyzzzzzz
Old 6th May 2009, 01:18   #4
Team-BHP Support

There could be a lot of things wrong in these kind of situations. You said that the car is possibly 87k old but the agent reset the odo. Do you have the mechanical odo? I can't remember whether the 2005 Getz came with a digital or a mechanical odo. But if I am not very much mistaken it was digital. Its much more difficult to tamper these though possible. More than that its difficult to spot such tampering unless you look closely at the console for any tell-tale marks (say, faint jab marks from a screwdriver). However if you have conclusive evidence to prove that the car has indeed run those many kms then you can lodge a forgery and cheating case against the dealer and the past owner. Chances are that the previous owner will immediately croak and sing about how the odo was perfect when he sold it to the agent. You can decide after that how you want to take it further, if at all.

Now about these problems, I would say you need to create a list of all the problems. Thereafter take it to a respected Hyundai A.S.S. and ask them to thoroughly service the car (not the wash and tighten and top-up kinds) to eliminate these issues. Your car may have a clogged filter to begin with. Then it may have a clogged exhaust (check whether its leaky as well). Other issues may involve worn-out or uneven gap in the spark plugs, Choked injectors etc.

All the above may lead to experiences like starting problem, shuddering, jerks and engine shutdown, poor pickup etc. Ride quality problems may similarly be due to skinny tyres, but more than that in a car with over 87k on the odo it may also be due to completely kaput shock absorbers.

Net-net, your car needs a thorough check and overhaul IMHO.
Old 6th May 2009, 02:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunkyfydex View Post
Getz is a super silent car. Only my stock K&N makes some sound.

2.Sluggish pickup and performance....car stalls frequently in traffic.I had once taken the car for a trip to bangalore...overtaking was a pain...the car does not cross 100 howeva hard i tried.
The pick up is not great compared to Swift. But it attains 100 easily. 140 is possible on a decent stretch.

It is very light, lighter than other petrols i have experienced.

4.Poor high speed stability...goes out of control unless u have a steady hand.Its running on narrow 13 inch rubber.
It is well built and stable at high speeds.

The suspension is more comfort oriented, but no body rolls at low speed.

Seems to be an issue with your car.

As pointed out by others, get your car checked thoroughly at the service centre. The issues are not there in a typical getz.
Old 6th May 2009, 06:40   #6
BHPian

It seems that you have ended up with a car that has been subjected to neglect and abuse for almost 1 lakh km. I suggest that you take the car to a reputed Hyundai service centre and first get the following work done-

1. Change the air/oil/fuel filters
2. Change all the oils
3. Clean the thottle body, O2 sensor and the IAT sensor
4. Check the spark plugs and replace if necessary
5. Check the ignition coil and replace if defective
6. Get the injectors cleaned
7. Any other work that is recommended by Hyundai for a routine 1L km service)
8. You may also want to do a compression check for the engine since there seems to be a substantial loss of power in your car.

This should set you back by approx. 4-6000 rs (if ignition coil is ok, else add another 4000 bucks to this).

Once you have done these, drive the car for around 100 km and see if there is a difference. If the car still doesn't perform as expected, you are looking at some major repair jobs.

As far as the clutch and suspension is concerned, well, they have outlived their optimal life span, especially since the previous owner does not seem to have taken good care of the car. 1L km means that it's time to replace the clutch assembly and overhaul the suspension. A full suspension overhaul should cost approx. 20-25,000 rs and replacing the clutch assembly should be in the region of 4500-6500 Rs (not sure about the exact costs for a getz 1.3 but you can take these as ball park figures for a car of this segment).

And lastly, please don't be tempted to get the repair work done by non-authorised garages to save on a few thousand rupees, it will cost you a lot more eventually if you do that.

Last edited by Astleviz : 6th May 2009 at 06:47.
Old 6th May 2009, 07:58   #7
BHPian

Hi please ask around to see from fellow members which authorised service centre is efficient.

The noise could be because of the tappets, rocker arms. I would advise a bit of caution on its continued use.

Also, the Cat-Con could be clogged, making it sluggish . Try replacing it or removing it.

Also, Get a De-Carbonisation done from the dealership. It helps a lot.

Cheers
Old 6th May 2009, 10:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

I too have a Getz 1.3 GL, Nov 2004 model.

Quote:
Hi Guys,i had purchased a used march 2005 hyundai getz 1.3 GL in feb 2009 for 2.3 lakhs.At the time of purchase the odo was reading 41k.Since i was scouting for a car for my family use i went ahead because the deal looked tempting and because of the huge amount of space inside.
I think the deal is not as tempting as it looks. If the odo figures were to be believed, the price would have definately been higher than what you paid. A Getz 1.3, used for 4 years/40k kms should have atleast fetched 3L, if your comments on its condition are to be believed.

Quote:
Engine is noisy (but not very) at high revs, only if you keep the windows rolled down (which I believe is the case with most cars?)
Quote:
I cant believe this. My Getz easily does 100 in 3rd gear and on Mumbai-Pune Expressway, I do a constant 100-120 kmph. I have reached a maximum speed of 160 on it, beyond which it strains to go further.
Quote:
Not at all. Clutch is damn smooth on the other hand.
Quote:
Infact, quite the opposite. I really like the stability of the Getz at high speed, much better than other hatches/small cars. Get a good brand of tyres, preferably in 175/70-13 size and see the difference in your drive.
Quote:
Nopes.
Quote:
Maybe a case of clogged filter, or your injectors need cleaning.
[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraveenM View Post
I was told quite the opposite - Getz has a very soft suspension!
Old 6th May 2009, 11:49   #9
BHPian

As you will have seen, the Getz has no incipient problems. What you face is definitely begat from neglect.
Getz has a digital odo, I did not think these can be tampered with, but now I am not so sure.
Try and get the proper service history from the dealer or the former owner, then take corrective measures.
Old 6th May 2009, 12:42   #10
BHPian

I too have Getz 2007 model and it does not have the problems which is been told by you. Pickup is decent and it easily crosses 110+ in 3rd gear. Fuel efficiency is not great. Hovers around 10 to 11 KM/lit. As suggested by others get it checked at Hyundai A.S.S and if the repair cost goes beyond your budget (30 to 40K) better to part with the car and have a new one or with a direct owner rather then the dealer.
Approx 1L I believe it may not live more as the earlier owner looks like abused it a lot before handing over to the dealer.
Old 6th May 2009, 13:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
As you will have seen, the Getz has no incipient problems. What you face is definitely begat from neglect.
Getz has a digital odo, I did not think these can be tampered with, but now I am not so sure.
Try and get the proper service history from the dealer or the former owner, then take corrective measures.
Are you sure the digital od cannot be rigged? IIRC, there was a post by a member that his uncle got the odo on his used Alto rigged and set at 00000 to get the feeling of a new car.
Old 6th May 2009, 13:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

if you mean rough and relatively noisy -YES it is.

Overtaking is a major pain in the GETZ. I mentioned this in another thread but some other GETZ owners say to the contrary. But I am quite sure the gearing is all messed up and hence the real potential of the engine is not to be seen.

Clutch is really soft in the GETZ. so you need to get the clutch settings checked. also check for plate wear. My guess is previous owner might have ridden the clutch a lot PRIMARILY DUE TO THE BAD GEARING OF THE CAR. so instead of downshifting, he might have just revved the car a lot at higher gears.

True. I have noticed this. blame the soft suspension. But nothing overtly alarming. a bit getting used to maybe. But check for wheel balancing ( especially the front wheels )

see above. you may want to get the suspension checked too. going by the correct odo of 87k, you may just get the suspension overhauled.

please check the idle settings.

responses in bold above
Old 6th May 2009, 14:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Few things which you might want to do...

Get the air filter changed or go for green cotton or K&N..

Throttle body, Injectors to be cleaned.

ask the service adviser to plug the examiner and check if everything is alright.

If the car has done about 80k+ kms and there are very good chance of the suspensions going weak so get them checked.

New tyres, replace the clutch plates if necessary and overhaul the suspensions all this will make your car run much better.
Old 2nd February 2011, 13:20   #14
BHPian

clutch replacement in Getz.

At 108000 km, the clutch in my Getz finally gives up. The problem is, Trient Hyundai does not have stocks of clutch parts.They say it is not available anywhere in India, not for the next 25 days . Now, i need to go on a long drive & I cannot do that in the present condition. Any suggestions ??
Old 2nd February 2011, 14:21   #15
Team-BHP Support

Re: clutch replacement in Getz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan View Post
At 108000 km, the clutch in my Getz finally gives up. The problem is, Trient Hyundai does not have stocks of clutch parts.They say it is not available anywhere in India, not for the next 25 days . Now, i need to go on a long drive & I cannot do that in the present condition. Any suggestions ??
I doubt this can be the case (unavailable anywhere in India). Try some other dealer.

Else, search through the forum directory for a trustworthy neighbourhood mechanic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks