Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2009, 03:00   #151
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Jitu, I think a stock swift runs 1 bar IIRC. I think Rdk should be in a better position to give us further details.
Old 19th May 2009, 07:27   #152
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
Those values (pressure unit) should be Absolute, at atmospheric the pressure unit is around 101kpa. so 135kpa should be around 5 psi & 200kpa should be around 13.7 Psi.
How much boost does the stock swift runs from factory?
Thanks for correcting me.
Its the same mistake I keep making all the time, I come up with 19Psi completely forgetting about atmospheric pressure, AGAIN

Stock swift definitely makes more than 5psi boost.
My swift with the damaged turbo was making 11 psi at a stratospheric 4500rpm. A good turbo should make much more at lower rpms. I'm going on the hunt for someone with a new swift DDiS to see if I can get proper readings.

Old 19th May 2009, 15:17   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post

Following are the readings from SDT for boost pressure.

Idle 800Rpm(without AC) - 94Kpa
Idle 900Rpm(with AC) - 95Kpa

All the below readings are with AC turned ON.

Note - Its difficult to get the exact reading at 2000rpm as the rpm counter figures change quickly in the device as its real time. Say for example at 1950rpm by the time you look at the pressure reading the rpm is 2025 or 2050 or 2100.

2nd Gear at around 2000rpm - 145-147 Kpa
2nd Gear at around 3200rpm - 194 Kpa

3rd Gear at around 2000rpm - 157 Kpa
3rd Gear at around 3000rpm - 210 Kpa

4th Gear at around 2000rpm - 159 - 167 Kpa (it varied here I dont know why)
4th Gear at around 3000rpm - 210 Kpa

5th Gear at around 2000rpm - 198 Kpa
5th Gear at around 2500rpm - 215 Kpa
Okay here you go with the post service results for boost pressure.

Idle 800rpm without AC - 94 Kpa
Idle 900rpm with AC - 94 Kpa

2nd Gear at around 2000rpm - 150 Kpa
2nd Gear at around 3000rpm - 197 Kpa

3rd Gear at around 2000rpm - 159 - 162 Kpa
3rd Gear at around 3000rpm - 205 - 206 Kpa

4th Gear at around 2000rpm - 165 - 176 Kpa
4th Gear at around 2500rpm - 215 Kpa

5th Gear at around 2000rpm - 191 Kpa
5th Gear at around 2500rpm - 216 Kpa

I also took the readings for first gear some how. But I do not trust what I saw as it changed very quickly in the SDT. Hence the below readings could vary drastically from what I have mentioned.

1st Gear at around 2000rpm - 103 kpa
1st Gear at around 3000rpm - 121 kpa

This all after they changed the Engine Oil, Oil filter and the general 2nd Free service. Regarding the Air Filter, the SA said maruti has instructed them not to blow air to clean the Air Filter of DDIS as its very thin. When asked him how to they clean if need be, he said sir "hum usku upar se thoda kuch dust ho to jhatak dete hai" which they did in my case.
Old 19th May 2009, 15:33   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush
...Regarding the Air Filter, the SA said maruti has instructed them not to blow air to clean the Air Filter of DDIS as its very thin.
This is news!.. I have been witnessing compressed air decimating the filters then!!?
Old 19th May 2009, 16:17   #155
Senior - BHPian

There you go ripper ,now tush has the figure now.I am now personally studying the swift diesels which have done more than 30k kms for the power compared to the new ones.There is a drop in most casses but only marginal.This may be due to incorrect air pressure in the tyres etc.Anyways in say next 15-30 days i will have a report on this.
ram
Old 19th May 2009, 16:22   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Regarding the Air Filter, the SA said maruti has instructed them not to blow air to clean the Air Filter of DDIS as its very thin. When asked him how to they clean if need be, he said sir "hum usku upar se thoda kuch dust ho to jhatak dete hai" which they did in my case.
Can be true since most service center uses pressurized air directly onto the filters. If you have a home/car vacuum cleaner with blow function, you can do a DIY without causing any such damages.

Yes oil/filter would improve the reading a lil bit thanks to the same fresh oil helping in better circulation on turbo bearings.

@ripper: highly unlikely but the swift turbo is just plain oil cooled right? and not a hybrid (oil+water) cooling.
Old 19th May 2009, 17:22   #157
BHPian

One another thing to Share.

After we took the readings of boost pressure post service. The SA had told me the readings of my DDIS are normal with no base to his argument. I asked him for a sheet or manual that they would have which has the default reading for boost pressure for every gear. He said he doesnt has that. He convinced me that he understood what problem my car was experiencing and was double confirmed when I actually showed him in RPM meter that the boost doesnt occur exactly at 2000 - 2100rpm.

To support this arguement we immediately drove another DDIS done 17000Km which was a new model. Exactly at 2000rpm the car would spool amazing. He understood then the difference between my and that car.

I shared the problem of ripper with him. And also told him that my first DDIS didnt had this problem and was the old model with no digital clock. He said there are 2 makes of turbo unit. We need to check the make of my car and a car which has no problems. He indicated the other make could have turbo spooling up later.

He has asked me to drive the car for a few days and let him know the results in the mean while he will also test other DDIS now that he has understood the problem. After hearing rippers issue he even indicated of checking my car with another turbo unit for which I will have to keep my car there for 4-5 days. Should I do this in case I see no improvements? Wouldnt this be hurrying up directly to the turbo unit as the cause?

@ripper can you confirm what make was your faulty turbo and the new one as well if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
He revved the car till 3500 ropm and the reading was 134kPa!!
Was it in neutral ?

Last edited by tush : 19th May 2009 at 17:24.
Old 19th May 2009, 17:55   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Can be true since most service center uses pressurized air directly onto the filters. If you have a home/car vacuum cleaner with blow function, you can do a DIY without causing any such damages.
Could be true actually. My MASS outright refused to clean it using an air pressure blower. And they did it using the "thak thak" method. So it was not as if they were lazy or something !!!
Old 19th May 2009, 20:58   #159
rippergeo

My car is the so called new model with the digital clock as factory fitment. BTW, all swifts, even the older models spool up at precisely 2k when new.

Old 19th May 2009, 21:36   #160
BBT
BHPian

Sorry for not posting earlier - the answer to the question that everyone is asking is that the car was not in gear when the reading of 130kPa @3500 rpm was tested - all the readings that were given in the booklet were for an idle car and not when driving. Seeing as this was a proper Maruti booklet (it was a 1/4 scale model of our standard Swift User manual, and contained the correct readouts for all Maruti models), I really did not see any point in insisting on a proper road test with the Tech 2 connected. In addition, I seem to have posted about a similar "turbo missing" feeling post my 2nd service which went away after about a month so I have decided to stop being a maniac and am hoping that the car will sort itself out in a few days
Old 19th May 2009, 23:01   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
My car is the so called new model with the digital clock as factory fitment. BTW, all swifts, even the older models spool up at precisely 2k when new.

Yep, Mine is 5 months old and i can confirm that when it was new, the turbo used to spool at 2k exactly in 2nd gear!

But now in 2nd gear it spools at 2150rpm. Also after the 3nd service i ve noticed that when the kick starts in 2nd gear at 2150 the front tyres screech a bit as there is a loss of traction due to the turbo kick. I am running on 185's by the way. The feeling of losing grip because of acceleration is deadly

In 3,4th and 5th the tension starts at 1900 rpm and at 2000 rpm there is a full blown kick in all gears except 2nd. Havent tried 1st at all, as its very short and no point revving the car in 1st!

It has run 10 thousand km btw!
Old 20th May 2009, 07:14   #162
BHPian

Being a similar engine, how is the experience with Quadrajet? I am asking since I have seldom experienced a noticeable change upto ~3K and I rarely exeed 3K. (Is it because I had never driven a turbo earlier?) Mine is four months and 4000 kms.
Old 20th May 2009, 07:49   #163
rippergeo

@BBT- thats a sensible course of action.
@jaggu- the turbo is oil cooled
@janitha- the quadrajet pulls very linearly. It would be difficult to say exactly when the turbo is fully spooled up, without a boost gauge

Old 20th May 2009, 07:50   #164
Senior - BHPian

the quadrajet should spool in a little earlier, ~1750 rpm. keep the engine at idle, and after the 1 minute waiting period, try raising the rpm to 1500 and then to 1800, and then maybe 2000. The engine should feel more responsive ( ie when you lift your foot off the acellerator slightly, and press it back again, the engine response should be more immediate) as you increase the revs. there should be a noticeable difference between 1500 rpm (should feel laggy, like regular diesels) and 2000 rpm
Old 20th May 2009, 12:11   #165
rippergeo

If what BBT's service advisor says is true, then we can do away with my more cumbersome and dangerous method of testing.
How come only this SA has possession of this book?

When my my busted turbo was hooked up to tech2 and revved in neutral, I remember getting readings of only 112kpa,max recorded (dont remember the rpm at which it was picked up)

Can people who have actually had turbos replaced, please start posting on this thread? I'm still waiting for mine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks