Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2015, 09:30   #31
BHPian

Re: Help needed with Indica fuel pump

I have a 2008 Indica Turbo Diesel, Run 65000 kms. Recently I was finding diesel leakage in drops and could see the puddle marks :-) on the parking floor, plus the area below FIP smudged with Diesel.

took it to FNG, they suggested to get 3 small pipes from TASC and then they replaced all 3, assuring it will stop.

Next day morning, althoiugh i could not see any diesel drops on the outside parking ( may be it got dried up ) , but once I started the vehicle , and opened the bonnet, could see diesel leaking in rapid drops from the FIP area , but not from the pipes / pipes joints.

What could be the possible reasons ? I am worried .

- FIP seal/ gaskets damaged ?
- Some sensor failure, that elliptical metal object near FIP ?

@ Sameer, What would be the next steps to follow ? Went to TASC , but they were too crowded, so will try to do it from outside.

PS: no pick up issue at all. it still drives effortlessly on expressway at 100+ speeds, with AC on. But at very low speeds , in morning, I do feel some jerks sometimes but not worth bothering to me.
Old 30th October 2016, 18:07   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDIsamir View Post
Hi

Me being a authorized Delphi-TVS (Lucas- TVS) Fuel injection workshop would like to advice to fellow TBHPians regarding Indica Fuel pump.

Hi, could you please tell me what pump is used in the tata ace HT

Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 11:47   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoolsundar View Post
Hi, could you please tell me what pump is used in the tata ace HT

Thanks
Its the same TVS-Delphi pump in the Tata Ace but 2 cylinder engine, and for the 4 cylinder ACE it is the same pump as in the Indica.
Old 1st November 2016, 11:20   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stable rock View Post
Its the same TVS-Delphi pump in the Tata Ace but 2 cylinder engine, and for the 4 cylinder ACE it is the same pump as in the Indica.
The indica uses a distributor type pump. Delphi-TVS does not make a two cylinder distributor pump
Old 10th December 2016, 17:25   #35

Hi, Could you please tell me what the start of injection timing should be (in crank angle BTDC) for Indica Engine. What should should it be at fully retarded (low idle) and at max rpm (fully advanced). Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 20:07   #36
BHPian

Hi All

Good day

I was pleasently surprised to find a thread on the tata indica fuel pump. Appreciate teambhp for having a wide range of topics for us to get information on.

One of my close relative had a 2000 fiat uno D which was getting overheated with low pickup which was sold to him by one of the mechanics . After spending a lot on it and with no improvement he had almost lost hopes with the diesel engines and decided to scrap the car and he wanted to get it exchanged for a petrol car. However upon assurance from the current local mechanic who is also known to me, got it exchanged with a 2008 tata indica v2 with 165000 kms on the odo which was not used as a taxi but for personal use for around 65K.At this point of time due to financial challenges he is unable to go for a brand new car or from a 2nd hand car from a used car dealer,hence this option.

When he got the vehicle for driving and testing the same the mechanic asked him it to use it for a week and then decide on the prichase, which he did. The performance at that time was good, though the ac was disconnected at that, time the car could reach a top speed of 115kmph on the highway and the initial pick up was also pretty impressive for an indica which was way ahead of the old fiat uno that he had.

Then we decided to get the ac gas refilled and connected. It seems that one of the assistants of the mechanic had taken the car for a test ride without checking the water-levels in the water tank(this car being old had water instead of coolant as per the mechanic). This lead to the car getting overheated and the head gasket job had to be undertaken with some amount of work for the water channels through the lathe machine. Thereafter though the car suffered from low pickup it had lots of smoke so the pistons and rings were replaced. Now the car does not give that much smoke but the initial pick up is low and after a few moments it suddently gets the pick up and moves fast with some good smoke.

Upon showing it to a mechanic's assistant he says that the accelarator gets jammed and is a problem with any indica car you have to pump the accelarator to get instant pick up and cannot be gentle wihle driving an indica, which I find hard to digest. Upon checking the engine oil level ,although the oil level was sufficient ,I could see some smudge on end of the dip stick. I know this could be a bad deal but I dont have any other options as his fiat uno has already been scrapped by the mechanic and its this car or no car. Also the starter motor has been replaced. All this repair work was done at the cost of mechanic with my relative did not pay anything for it. However, this entire deal has taken almost 6-8months and the car was finally home last week. My relative is waiting for the paperwork to be completed

The cold start of engine takes time ,but once the engine starts the vehicle can be started immediately.The mechinc told my relative that the each morning before starting the car he should use the heater plug 3-4 times before crankin the engine.

After the work on the engine and the starter motor the car has been driven the car 300kms and the engine does not overheat.The max temper that is reaches is at 1/4th level. infact the temp needle starts to rise only after 4 kms of driving. Although the air conditioner is yet to be connected which the mechanic said will do after another 100 kms as the car is due for oil change, flushing and coolant addition after draining out all the water as per the mechanic.

About the poor pickup of the car both my relative and I had a few questions :

1. If we replace the air filter and diesel filter along with all the fluids will it help?
2. Will engine oil additives and diesel additives be helpful or will it lead to other problem like damaging the oils seals within the engine as I had read somwhere that it can cause more issues than benefits?
3.Should we also look at the catalytic convertor to be replaced as not sure if it has been done in the past?
4. Is it normal with an old indica to start only after heating the engine for 4 - 5 times ?

Sorry for such a long post as I felt would be be necessary for all of you to know the background before assisting me.

Regards
Sushil
Old 25th November 2017, 00:51   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post

1. If we replace the air filter and diesel filter along with all the fluids will it help?
Filters yes, fluids probably not, while an oil change won't hurt if it's due. Use Castrol gtd. It's the cheapest, and in my experience gives the best results, compared to more expensive stuff
Quote:
2. Will engine oil additives and diesel additives be helpful or will it lead to other problem like damaging the oils seals within the engine as I had read somwhere that it can cause more issues than benefits?
Buy some iftex system D and use it religiously. It's a Tata recommended product, and everyone who has used it on an indica experienced good improvement
Quote:
3.Should we also look at the catalytic convertor to be replaced as not sure if it has been done in the past?
No. Idea
Quote:
4. Is it normal with an old indica to start only after heating the engine for 4 - 5 times ?
No, but given your description, sounds like your glow plugs need replacement. This is a cheap and easily diagnosable fix, I'm not sure why your mechanic has not suggested it, and done work on starter etc

Another couple of points, the point where the accelerator cable ends is visible in the engine bay. Don't recall it's correct name, but you will see it move when the accelerator is pressed. Try moving it manually by hand to see if you get better engine response, in which case your cable is at fault.
If not, the issue might be with the fuel pump, and you might need an overhaul - you'll need to take it to a Lucas tvs service centre to confirm.

Remembered to add, check timing also before you look at the fuel pump route

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th November 2017 at 17:46.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 20:58   #38
BHPian

[quote=greenhorn;4311351]Filters yes, fluids probably not, while an oil /quote]

HI Greenhorn

Thanks for the response. AS far as air filter in concerned I understand that it can be changed without the help of a mechanic. But as far as the diesel filter is concerned can it be changed by us or do we have to depend on the mechanic. Also , please let me know where is the diesel filter located.?

Regards
Sushil

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks