Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2009, 12:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Engine flush do help after a 20-30k of running to remove the sludge. Considerable difference is noticed immediately after the flush. I wouldnt suggest a regular use of flush though, once or twice in 100k kms run should be sufficient.

For cleaning of the fuel system, BG 44K(stronger) and BG CF5(lighter)are recommended worldwide in all kinds of petrol and BG244(stronger) and BG248(lighter) for the diesel and need to be used at specified intervals(10-15k kms) ONLY. No need for regular(system G/D) additives if you use these.

System D(diesel) and System G(petrol) are also good products for regular usage.

Last edited by dadu : 10th May 2009 at 12:22.
Old 10th May 2009, 12:33   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
is regular flushing with every oil change bad?

some folks have flushes forced onto them by ASC's out to make a quick buck
Oddly enough, regular quick flushes at every oil change may be less harmful than a heavy flush after 50k or 80k km. But then, the cost of a flush at every oil change far, far exceeds the benefit got in terms of improvement in engine life.
Old 10th May 2009, 13:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Engine flush do help after a 20-30k of running to remove the sludge. Considerable difference is noticed immediately after the flush. I wouldnt suggest a regular use of flush though, once or twice in 100k kms run should be sufficient.

For cleaning of the fuel system, BG 44K(stronger) and BG CF5(lighter)are recommended worldwide in all kinds of petrol and BG244(stronger) and BG248(lighter) for the diesel and need to be used at specified intervals(10-15k kms) ONLY. No need for regular(system G/D) additives if you use these.

System D(diesel) and System G(petrol) are also good products for regular usage.
how do you use BG44K ? do we need to put it in Fuel tank? does it clean pistons valves etc? can you please give the prices of BG44K and BG CF5 ?
Old 10th May 2009, 13:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I use OWS vitamin pack for my Lancer and next week is the Alto's turn.

OWS 210 engine flush to drain out the old oil and sludge.
After that new OWS 5W50 synthetic oil along with one bottle of OWS 220 engine oil additive to restore lost compression.
Then finally OWS 360 fuel system cleaner in the fuel tank with 10litres of fuel to clean fuel lines and injectors...
Hello Vid,

Am planning to do the same treatment of engine flush to my Alto in two weeks time when I go to pick it up from my native. It has done 55k+ kms so far.

Have to decide between semi-synthetic (Castrol Magneta, as used by Akroy) or full-synthetic to be used.

What will be your recommendation?
Old 11th May 2009, 13:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
how do you use BG44K ? do we need to put it in Fuel tank? does it clean pistons valves etc? can you please give the prices of BG44K and BG CF5 ?
Sikand Standley is the Master distributor for India, you can check for your local prices with them. Hover your mouse on the yellow dots.

Yes, it needs to be added to the fuel tank(prorata) as per specified treatment based on you tank capacity. Each can treats apprx60-75ltrs.
For details on the treatment and cleaning, check here
Old 11th May 2009, 13:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The Indica normally aspirated and turbo engines are known to have premature oil control ring failure (at or before 80k km). A flush in this engine would likely speed up the process. IMHO, avoid flushing old Indica engines.
so i am 40,000 kms. would this be considered an "old engine" ? i am assuming not. but anyways, what are opinions on whether an engine flushing is worth trying or not ? mainly safe or not ?
Old 11th May 2009, 17:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
so i am 40,000 kms. would this be considered an "old engine" ? i am assuming not. but anyways, what are opinions on whether an engine flushing is worth trying or not ? mainly safe or not ?
I was resisting from posting a link. But here goes:

Yahoo! Groups

My Marina has not had any engine flushes yet!
Old 11th May 2009, 17:38   #23
Team-BHP Support

Engine flush can be done every 20k kms, it will remove to an extent the sludge and stuff. But to get better results one needs to use flushing oil also to remove the dirt before filling new oil. If oil is changed every 5k kms that itself will assure some amount of protection against sludge etc.

On the other hand if you really want a squeaky clean engine internals, there is no replacement to a complete strip job of engine. No matter how good a additive or oil is, some amount of sludge will remain in the engine.

Quote:
I own an indica TCIC, running on regular + System D from about 13000K
i did a flush while switching from castrol GTD to delvac MX at 20K , and the engine was noticeably rougher. not sure because of the oil or the flush.
This is because Delvac is a thinner oil compared to castrol GTD. Though my internet research shows Delvac is better for modern high performance usage.
Old 11th May 2009, 17:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

but both were 15W40. Is there anything else that determines the thickness ?
Old 11th May 2009, 17:51   #25
Team-BHP Support

Yes there are lots of stuff, start with "what should i buy" Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

Finer specs do matter a lot and sometimes shows up also, from a users perspective.
Old 11th May 2009, 17:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

plus I read about your fingers test in the ownership thread now . good enough for me!
Old 11th May 2009, 18:12   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
plus I read about your fingers test in the ownership thread now . good enough for me!
Dont go by that "test" too much Its not a very scientific method to follow lol

Instead read up on the finer spec mentioned on the can, check what it means and how relevant it is for a particular engine. Also check for what is manufacturer recommendation and ideally stick to the highest recommendation from them or maybe one notch above for oil specs. This will give you a long lasting, trouble free engine.
Old 11th May 2009, 22:16   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Hello Vid,

Am planning to do the same treatment of engine flush to my Alto in two weeks time when I go to pick it up from my native. It has done 55k+ kms so far.

Have to decide between semi-synthetic (Castrol Magneta, as used by Akroy) or full-synthetic to be used.

What will be your recommendation?
It's entirely upto you. According to me Magnatec is not very different than the regular oil. I was happy with the results of OWS synthetic on the Lancer hence decided the same for the Alto.

For regular driving it may not be a problem. But there are days when the Alto engine sees the upper rpm region's often.
Old 11th May 2009, 22:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
...For regular driving it may not be a problem. But there are days when the Alto engine sees the upper rpm region's often.
Now, that would be me also!

Am looking forward to you review after the oil change in your Alto.
Old 12th May 2009, 07:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Vidyut,
It was nice talking to you yesterday and discussing in detail about OWS. I am seriously contemplating using it in my Alto @45K service (oil change is due then). I did Engine decarb at 25K and hence doing the flush again at 45K before moving to synthetic shouldnot be a issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Am looking forward to you review after the oil change in your Alto.
Yes Vidyut, your review will be the benchmark as I am still 2.5K km to go for service so I have time to check your Alto performance for a considerable distance after your Oil change.

Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks