Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2009, 01:30   #1
BHPian

Santro, Has anyone tried Self Service yet

Don't know if it really sounds like CRAZY, but is it possible to SELF Service a Santro ?

I had last service done approx 4000KM Back, it was 28000 and iam now 32000KM run.

I am little busy in this month, and its a REAL Torture to drop the car at service station which is on a location like SAHARA DESERT, i would have to Walk 1KM, then catch a 3 wheeler, and it would need me to change 3 times before i reach back in a Temp. of 46°C
and then rush back in same manner.

I just hate to spoil my full day on car service.

Any advice would be very helpful and appreciated.

note: asking dealer to collect the car or drop me back is out of equation.
Old 10th May 2009, 01:45   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Why would you want to service your Santro yourself, while it's still under warranty (and void the warranty as a result)? In any case, Santros don't need service every 4000 km. And you really think you'll save yourself from breaking into a sweat if you did a DIY service to save walking a kilometre and changing a few autos? Or not waste a full day by DIY?

That said, many of us do some basic service like oil and filter changes ourselves. But that's in cars which are not under warranty cover. But washing and cleaning - now that needs heavy equipment!
Old 10th May 2009, 02:02   #3
BHPian

Car is not in warranty anymore, its already 3 yrs. old now.

And being a very big DIY types, I would just love doing it on my own.
Even if i get all tips tonight, today (sunday) i would do it, as iam mostly free today.

Do help me out if its possible.
Old 10th May 2009, 02:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

As I told you, Santros don't need service every 4000 km. But if you really insist, you can check on youtube or here to find tips on how to change engine oil and filter at least.

I hope you have the tools and equipment. And don't dump the used oil into the nearest drain.

Good luck.
Old 10th May 2009, 02:23   #5
aZa
Senior - BHPian

The service at 30000Kms is kinda important, just check the manual for the car, and try and change/clean/refill the suggested things.
Old 10th May 2009, 02:32   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the link,
Yes i won't drain it, infact will get it used on various things, or give to atleast the cycle repair shop wala, who could lube a few bi-cycles and rickshaws for free.

aZa is correct, 30k Service is important, but if i get manual, i'll get it done either on own, or will take help from one of my OLD car mechanic, who's always willing to dig inside my car :-)

Is there any service manual available online for santro ?
Old 10th May 2009, 17:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

Link to related thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...checklist.html

cya
R
Old 10th May 2009, 17:44   #8
BHPian

Hey, DIY is for a simple service has some advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages: You can be assured that there has been a genuine oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs change. Good quality products have been used. There is a feel good factor too !

Dis Advantages: You will need some sockets, Wrenches to unscrew the the oil sump bolt, spark plugs. So there is an investment. Your floor could get dirty ( spillage ) . If you lose a washer or the bolt you will have to go running to the nearest parts shop ! Also, there is the danger of cross threading while replacing the spark plugs or screwing them in too tight or too lose.

My advise. Get all the parts required , for eg Good Oil, Air filter, Spark Plugs, Oil filter. Take them to a local mechanic and and wait while he does them in your presence and pay him just 100rs for his labour !
Old 11th May 2009, 01:02   #9
BHPian

Thanks Rehaan, vdiatech, I'll talk to my local mechanic, He's gem of a person and will be happy to help me.
Arranging for needed tools is certainly in my todo list with no ETA, but certainly love buying such tools.

Will post details of self service or the way vdiatech suggested.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks