Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 12:00   #16
BHPian

The OP has a ZXi which comes with ABS and wider tires. And 80KMph with 30 Mtrs is more then enough for the car to stop. But with ABS the car takes longer to stop then one without ABS.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

So you're expecting the car to turn with the wheels locked? You need to release those locked tyres before you try to steer your car or it goes in a straight line. Laws of physics, Maruti or Swift's brakes have nothing to do with it.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:39   #18
BHPian

The last sentence will be complete when said: unless otherwise it has ABS :-)
Old 11th May 2009, 15:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
'Slamming your brakes' is not exactly the best way to slow down.Pump the brakes on a non-abs car,release if the wheel locks and pump again.

Very difficult to do that in a panic braking situation !

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Instead of sticking with the stock tyres, why dont you go in for tyres offerring better grip? The braking feel would definitely improve. The stock tyres on the Swift are not exactly the most confidence inspiring.

Doesnt the ZXI come with wider tires ?

I wonder whether the tire was not at the right pressure and hence the grip was not there. Typically while doing highway driving the tendency is to over fill. maybe this was done to a greater degree that led to poorer grip
Old 11th May 2009, 17:32   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Another one adding to the consensus: Locked breaks means they worked perfectly.

There are all kinds of gadgets, usually with abbreviations, that do their best to stop a car under control. ABS is one of them. The Swift is not an expensive car, and we cannot expect all the bells and whistles. After all, we do know the specification when we buy it (I have one too).

There are situations that a given car just cannot handle. We just have to live with that. You learnt a valuable lesson, not to expect so much.

I learnt a similar lesson, more than fifteen years ago, on a UK main road. The speed limit was 50MPH (it was reduced from 60 for a village), and I was driving at 50MPH. An old guy drove out to cross in front of me at a crossroads, and stalled.

My experience was much the same as yours. Locked breaks, no steering --- but I did not stop in time. Thank goodness he was in a car, not on a bike: neither he nor his dog were hurt. Of course I was wearing a seatbelt, and was also unhurt. Both cars, though, suffered substantial damage. Mine was a VW Passat; excellent car.

ABS might have prevented that collision. More experience on my part (be how often do we practice such emergencies?) might also. I never thought to blame the car, but I did learn that the speed limit is not necessarily the speed which is safe.
Old 11th May 2009, 17:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
But with ABS the car takes longer to stop then one without ABS.

Really?? I thought it was the other way round.
Old 11th May 2009, 18:16   #22
BHPian

ABS is there to give you control over the car when slamming the brakes. It helps you steer the car.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian1979 View Post
Whether ABS would reduce the stopping distance or increase it depends on a lot of factors (road conditions mainly) and is extremely debatable.
Old 11th May 2009, 18:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The OP has a ZXi which comes with ABS and wider tires. And 80KMph with 30 Mtrs is more then enough for the car to stop. But with ABS the car takes longer to stop then one without ABS.
The OP has a Swift LXi.
Old 11th May 2009, 18:31   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian1979 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
ABS is there to give you control over the car when slamming the brakes.
Whether ABS would reduce the stopping distance or increase it depends on a lot of factors (road conditions mainly) and is extremely debatable.
Oh good. One more thread where the "ABS is good, ABS is bad" argument has started. Have fun, guys.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1297065-post15.html
Old 11th May 2009, 23:04   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Doesnt the ZXI come with wider tires ?
Like i'd mentioned in my post, it appears to be wishful thinking from the OP that he's bought a ZXi. This was why i was talking about upgrading the tyres.
Old 15th May 2009, 22:25   #26
BHPian

I have the stock tyres ... that is exactly why I'm asking if Tyre upsize helps ..

Thanks but I guess at 80KM/hr and and distance of 30mts the car must certainly stop ..

I still love my swift. Actually right after I came back from chennai I also took test drive of the ZXI variant just to see what I missed out on in the process of saving RS70,000 and I must say the brakes are impressive. Apart from that I have actually not had a chance to drive a Swift with broader tyres but I have heard from a lot of drivers on road that the control and braking is compartively better.

I actually did that but the he offered a very less amount for my car. : )

Last edited by ported_head : 15th May 2009 at 23:18. Reason: consecutive posts
Old 16th May 2009, 04:42   #27
BHPian

Hello, It would be better if you switch to better tyres first a broader tyre like 195 or 205 section would give you the maximum contact area,if you are still not happy with the braking get yourself Tarox Replacement rotors, Rippergeo on the forum uses the same on his car and as per his evaluation it's pretty good even without ABS (his is a Vdi without ABS). I have driven swifts with nothing but larger tyres and it makes a world of difference.
Old 16th May 2009, 05:17   #28
BHPian

The features like ABS and power steering are good only if they are company fitted .
There are no such mechanics who can do the job as good as factory fitted equipments.
Old 16th May 2009, 11:13   #29
BHPian

My friend Karthik Kumar on the forum had the same issues,
Problem was rectified when he changed the tyres to Advan Neovas.
After many panic situations he has realised that his life is more important than the tyres life. neovas tyre life is about 20-25k kms (depends on driving styles aswell).
In one of the night drive he was driving at around 150kmph in a turn and suddenly see barricades and jams the brake, to my surprise the car behaved extremely well and i was impressed.
He has also installed Tarox rotors, have to check how it is breaking now in the next night drive meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
If the lungi guy was 30 mts and you missed him, thank god that your car saved him and his lungi.

Quote:
After looking into many threads i thought swift comes with ABS+EBD and helps stopping faster.
Old 16th May 2009, 11:41   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
In one of the night drive he was driving at around 150kmph in a turn and suddenly see barricades and jams the brake, to my surprise the car behaved extremely well and i was impressed.
I will not post my first reaction to this, because I firmly told myself that I was not there, do not know the details or the situation, and so cannot say your friend was wrong --- but I really have doubt about driving into a situation where you cannot see what is ahead at that speed.

Whether or not this applies to your friend, my point is that I feel that people expect the equipment of their car to save them from bad or inappropriate driving, and that that is a very wrong expectation.

Of course, putting the barriers just around a corner sounds pretty crazy, but I have done enough driving on roads here now to expect that, especially at night, there will be unlit, dangerous obstructions --- put there by the traffic police!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks