Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2005, 11:03   #1
BHPian

My screeching Alto

Hi all,
There is a screeching noise from my six-month old Alto Lxi when I start the car for the first time in the day. The noise appears to come from the right side when I am facing the engine with the hood open. After I start driving it, the noise disappears. The service people told me that this happens in some cars and is nothing to worry about.
Other mechanics I know told me that the oil settles down when the car is parked overnight and it takes time to reach all moving parts and this causes the noise. I was also suggested to use a thicker oil which will stick more to all parts.
I had the belts checked and tension is okay.
What do you guys think? Have any of you had such a problem? I am only worried about some serious problem coming up after the warranty period is over. Please advise.

Thanks,
Vivek
Old 2nd June 2005, 11:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Other mechanics I know told me that the oil settles down when the car is parked overnight and it takes time to reach all moving parts and this causes the noise. I was also suggested to use a thicker oil which will stick more to all parts.
I've never heard any screeching noise from the engine during cold starts, be it Mpfi or Carb.

The belt is all i can think of. Maybe it keeps slipping when it's cold and then grips once it gets warmed up.

Quote:
The service people told me that this happens in some cars and is nothing to worry about.
I'd be worried about any screeching noise coming from any part of the car. It's not supposed to be there.

Shan2nu
Old 2nd June 2005, 11:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of water pumps, you should consider them a regular service item. Do not wait for it to fail. Often a water pump will signal it's imminent failure by developing clattering noises. It usually signifies that the propeller bearings are on the fritz. You may also hear a screeching noise at times. This could be a low coolant level, inadequate coolant flow, or an indication that you need a new pump. Have it looked at immediately.

Source - Winter-Proof your Vehicle

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 2nd June 2005 at 11:16.
Old 2nd June 2005, 11:18   #4
BHPian

I wrote to Maruti and told them that my dealer's workshop keeps saying it is not a problem. Maruti called me up and instructed the workshop to look into it. The workshop had a thorough look at it and they say everything is okay. Some people say that this happens but how can I be sure. What else can I possibly do?
Old 2nd June 2005, 11:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some people say that this happens but how can I be sure. What else can I possibly do?
Get it checked at another place. Ask them which part of the car/engine makes such a noise and why don't all Altos have it.

I think all the belts are situated on the right hand side of the engine (when you face the car) and that is exactly where the noise is coming from.

Shan2nu
Old 2nd June 2005, 11:49   #6
BANNED

Definitely sounds like moisture on the belts. Happens sometimes when the weather is cold or damp esp. on a cold start.

If this doesn't occur every single day on a cold start, you don't have to worry too much.

hrag
Old 2nd June 2005, 13:34   #7
BHPian

The noise clearly comes from where the gearbox is located i.e. down below on the right side when I am looking at the engine. Let me be more specific. Once I start the engine for the first time in the day and rev the engine a little, this screech is heard. When I press the clutch, the screech goes away. Once I release the clutch, the screech is back. After the engine has warmed up a little, there is no abnormal sound at all. There is no sound while driving and there are no problems with the car while running. All fluid levels are okay. I am hoping this is not a sign of bigger problems.
Old 2nd June 2005, 14:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I press the clutch, the screech goes away
Press the clutch when the gear is engaged or even when the car is in neutral? Get your clutch assembly checked once.

Does the screech sound like when tyres lock up or does it sound like when 2 metal plates scrub against each other?

How can someone claim something like this as normal? Dude, you need a better service station.

Shan2nu
Old 2nd June 2005, 14:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

probebly its not a screeching but a squealing sound ..we had this problem with our 800 which we sold off now...i m not sure wat was at fault..but it went off after the car came back from a service.
heavyfoot.

Last edited by heavy_foot : 2nd June 2005 at 14:39. Reason: error
Old 2nd June 2005, 17:23   #10
BHPian

I am talking about the noise when the car is stationary and the engine idling in neutral. Just imagine the sound you will hear when two metal pulleys or gears are in contact and rotating without any oil. That is the screeching sound I hear. When I start the car and let it idle, there is no noise. When I rev the engine the noise starts coming. After heating up, the noise is gone. Maruti service people tell me it is the fifth gear and that it takes some time for the oil to reach it.
I am getting all kinds of opinions from people. One told me it could be the pilot shaft bearing and another told me it could be the synchroniser ring or something like that. But one thing is clear to me. Some part inside is not getting lubricated properly.
Old 2nd June 2005, 17:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti service people tell me it is the fifth gear and that it takes some time for the oil to reach it.
If that is the case then shouldn't it be common for all Alto's?

Quote:
Just imagine the sound you will hear when two metal pulleys or gears are in contact and rotating without any oil.
Do you mean "Grating" noise, similar to what you hear while reversing?

Is it possible for you to somehow record that sound, convert it to MP3 and thn upload it so that we can hear it.

Shan2nu
Old 2nd June 2005, 17:45   #12
BHPian

No. It is not the sound one hears while reversing. Just imagine gears rotating without oil. It is that metallic ``crrrr crrr'' noise. That is exacly the sound I get. Recording it might be difficult since I stay on the second floor in an apartment block. I will try.
That is exacly the point I have been making with Maruti service. If this is common, why are other Altos not having the noise. They are unable to come up with an explanation. They sometimes blame me and say I do not run the car enough. I am going to give it to another Maruti authorised service chap I know.
Old 2nd June 2005, 23:45   #13

mate, i think its the belts...had the same problem with my indica...and my alto has done 39000kms and no screeching whatsoever...the belts are most probably loose or moisture on them...we used to put talcum powder on the belts in our morris a long long time back! ha ha ha

mycroft
Old 3rd June 2005, 09:29   #14
BHPian

If the belts are the source of the problem, how does the noise go away when the clutch is pressed?
Old 3rd June 2005, 09:57   #15
BANNED

Open the bonnet and look for a cat. Heh. Sorry. Just one of those mornings...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks