Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 10:29   #1
BHPian

Maruti 800 - Rattling Noise When Accelerating

Hi.

I have my Grandfathers Maruti 800, Year 2002 model.

Last week, the car was serviced in Tumkur, a city 1 1/2 hr drive from Bangalore.

When I took it from him, I found the following problem:

1. When I put the car in gear and press the accelerator, there is dudd dudd duddddd dudddd duddd duddd sound, most probably from the front left hand side.

2. When the car is idling, there is no sound.

3. When the car is in gear /neautral and moving on a slope without accelerator pedal presse, there is no sound.

4. When the accelerator pedal is pressed, only then this sound is coming. That too it increases with acceleration. First it will be slow, then it becomes faster, as if it is linked to the wheel (faster the wheel turns faster the sound).

I want to give it quick check up, but before that kindly suggest what could be the problem.
Old 12th May 2009, 11:25   #2
BHPian

I am not sure what could be the problem. As you said, most likely it is the drive shaft of the left wheel. One thing I could share is, even my 15 year old M800 also makes this noise, especially on the uphill climbes. And from the left side too. I had it notified to a service center, but he did not seem concerned. I am hearing that since last 20,000 kms. So far no problems. The sound goes away after the car attains 50 km/hr speed.
Old 12th May 2009, 11:39   #3
BHPian

As shipnil pointed out, it seems to be the infamous 'drive shaft problem'. Take it to the *** and they will confirm this in a minute
Old 12th May 2009, 12:44   #4
BHPian

First of all I am sorry for the poor grammar in my query. I noticed the typos now.

And Shipnil, I guess even in my car the sound reduces after reaching higher speeds.

My query is, if this is a drive shaft problem, will it affect the drive if I'm going on a long drive, in ghat section?
Old 12th May 2009, 13:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like a gear inside the car's gear box has broken. I know this cause the final drive gear on my car gave way a couple of weeks back and my car was showing the exact same symptoms.

For a proper diagnosis. Keep you left hand on the gear lever when you accelerate. You should feel the vibration in it corresponding to the sound that you can hear. I don't think it is a drive shaft problem because the drive shaft sound can only be heard while taking a turn.

Get you car's gearbox opened and checked.
Old 12th May 2009, 14:56   #6
BHPian

Will take it to RNS motors tomorrow morning. Thanks!
Old 12th May 2009, 15:10   #7
Team-BHP Support

Check drive shaft first, then only move on to gear box since its an old car. A visit to the a.s.s is recommended, you didnt make the complaint when you first received the car after service?
Old 12th May 2009, 17:18   #8
BHPian

I am in office now. My friend took it to RNS motors. Even he noticed the sound while driving to the service centre. There a representative went on a test drive. He noticed the sound too and said there may be problem with differential.

Later, other representatives checked the vehicle and said there is no problem. They again went on a test drive. But now there was no sound. He went on the drive some more and he said there is no problem with the vehicle.

@Jaggu, my Grandfather got it from service. I went and took it from his house. As soon as I put the car into gear and started driving, I noticed this sound. Initially I thought there was a tyre puncture or some stones are stuck in the tread. But tyre was allright. Later yesterday night, while parking, I went on a drive. I noticed the sound. Duddd duuddd gradually increasing with increase in acceleration. As soon as I lift the foot from the acceleration pedal, the sound stops.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:31   #9
BHPian

Update:

I went to Bosch service centre in West Of Chord Road. He diagnosed the problem as Drive Shaft Assembly rupture.

LHS Drive Shaft Assembly replaced. Cost Rs. 2,444 including labour.
Old 13th May 2009, 21:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
is it necessary to get both drive shafts replaced if one of them is faulty.
Old 13th May 2009, 22:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

no its not necessary. to change both the driveshaft. But check the condition of gear oil. It drains out when the driveshaft is removed.

^^^
2444/- is expensive. as original gvn (MGP) driveshaft is 1950/- left and 2000/- right. Labour is hardly anything. Its a Rs.100 job.
Old 18th May 2009, 10:42   #12
BHPian

SirAlec,

I think BOSCH car service is expensive than other places. But since I was traveling on that day, I did not want to take chance with Bimal (who have a notorious history) and RNS already had said there is no problem with the car.

While changing the drive shaft, they drained out the gear oil, fixed the shaft then refilled the gear oil. Also, they washed the car free of cost and added some soap additive to the windscreen washer water tank. This additive really helped me yesterday while driving in rains. The muddy spray from the tires of vehicles would hit the windshield. This soapy water would clear the screen.
Old 18th May 2009, 11:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsid View Post
Update:

LHS Drive Shaft Assembly replaced. Cost Rs. 2,444 including labour.
Sorry for the late reply. Since you have already replaced the drive shaft, there is no point in talking whether it was okay for hilly road. I frequently go for sightseeing in the western ghats around pune and so far the car has not let me down.
Talking about the charges, I don't think they are high. I had replace my RHS shaft once and it cost me around the same amount at MASS.

One more suggestion for you. When I replaced the RHS shaft, the old one had pin type locking nut. (15 yr old car). But the shaft it was replaced with had a locking nut that needed to be hammered to be locked. The problem I faced, when a couple of months after the replacement the RHS bearing gave in. The reason was the original oil seal present with the bearing was of the size of the old shaft. The new shaft has slightly higher diameter. Becasue of this oil seal got damaged and the it killed the bearing. The bearing had done only 12,000 kms against the normal life of 40,000. Check if you had pin type locking nut shaft previously.
Old 18th May 2009, 14:39   #14
BHPian

This car is 2002 model. So I guess he has replaced it with similar type shaft. I will check with him once.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks