Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2009, 23:48   #31
BHPian

hey vasoo,
filling the roof liner with insulation is going to make things worse as its going to create the effect you get from a thermos flask. whats hot stays hot and when cold its stays cold. and when you have heat coming in from your windshields that will make things worse. and sticking heat rejection films on your roof is a no no, won't work my friend. most of the heat that enters a parked car comes through the windshields and windows, having film on them helps. well, another wacky solution would be painting your car's roof white to reduce the heat from the roof. anyway keep bringing in more ideas cus its really getting hot in here.
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

I guess after-market Sun roofs can be installed in Cars for around 10,000 Rs. If you open the roof before entering the car, guess you'd experience some improvement in temparature. Down side is that you'll need to cut your car roof to install Sun roof.
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:58   #33
Senior - BHPian

I would like car makers to provide a vent which can be opened. We can put a solar powered little exhaust fan there too.
Old 22nd October 2010, 22:23   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I guess after-market Sun roofs can be installed in Cars for around 10,000 Rs. If you open the roof before entering the car, guess you'd experience some improvement in temparature. Down side is that you'll need to cut your car roof to install Sun roof.
A quality sun-roof will cost you Rs. 30,000 and up. And getting a sunroof to cool your parked car faster is akin to buying a cricket bat to play golf.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2010, 13:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A quality sun-roof will cost you Rs. 30,000 and up. And getting a sunroof to cool your parked car faster is akin to buying a cricket bat to play golf.
I remember seeing an ad for a sun-roof long time back, it was quoted 9K. It may be the basic bad quality one. Definitely not worth for 30K.

@GTO, have you tried opening the Sunroof before entering a car parked in the hot sun? My sun-roof theory was a wild guess, just wanted to know whether there would be a marked improvement in temparature.
Old 31st March 2011, 11:55   #36
BHPian

Re: Prevent Heating in the Parked Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry.brant View Post
i got this weird idea from an owner of M800.
He puts a bunch of banana leaves on his car when its parked outside his house , its weird but i would try to get some pics tomorrow.
Thats a cheap and efficient solution.
How does this work? Would lov to see some photographs if you been able to find any.
Regards,
Ashok
Old 15th April 2011, 18:54   #37
BHPian

I am having to park my car under the sun. Got this windscreen sun-shade for Rs.220/-.
Attached Thumbnails
Prevent Heating in the Parked Car-img10048.jpg  

aks2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 17:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Not sure whether somebody has posted this before - I have found that my Alto which is parked in the Sun, cools significantly faster if I open the rear hatch (along with the doors).
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 17:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

I had seen thermocole lining in the M800 which came with factory fitted AC. May be beefing up the insulation between the steel roof and ceiling fabric will provide some relief.

A blind similar to that shown in previous post on both front and rear wind screens will also help.

Finally, drive for a couple of minutes with all windows open before switching the AC on, and the car cools pretty fast. Of course a vent with a fan attached would be ideal, but that would involve extensive plumbing and sheet metal work.
Old 25th November 2011, 18:26   #40
Team-BHP Support

I have to leave my car parked in the Sun for quite a long time, on some days. To combat the heat, I have begun to practice a method which will help remove the hot air inside the car.

Step 1: As soon as you get into the car, roll the windows half-way down.

Step 2: Switch on the AC-blower and position it at the max-level.

Step 3: Re-direct the blower from face-level to front-windscreen/feet level.

Step 4: Enable fresh-air circulation instead of regular re-circulation.

After about 10-15 minutes of driving, 70% of the heat in the interiors should be expelled. Do NOT forget to go back to the original AC settings. And make sure you've enabled re-circulation after 10 minutes. If it's on fresh-air-cycle for too long, the filter would be prone to getting clogged quickly.

Avoid:

- dark upholstery, especially leather, manages to absorb a lot of heat. Try and avoid going in for these.

- Some have suggested to keep the window open. Now, even if it's 1 inch or even 1 cm, it's enough for prying eyes. Don't EVER leave your window open, even a little bit. 1 cm is enough for a thief to be able to break into your car in minutes.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 17:26   #41
BHPian

Parking under a shade is not always possible. Use of high quality sun-film is of no use. The reason is simple: the film is on the inside of the glass and will allow heat to enter inside. Beyond that it does not matter whether the film absorbs the heat or transmits it, the car will heat anyway.

When the car is parked and the situation is static, high class film is just as good as an ordinary film. The only good solution is to "reflect the heat" from the outside of the car. I have yet to try out this method, but here is the plan. Put a reflective banner (not a mirror, but an opaque white sheet) covering the windshield on the outside. The two ends of the banner could be drawn in and secured through the front part of the doors. Similar treatment could be given to the rear glass. The side glasses are usually not too important. The reflective surface will prevent the sun from even reaching the glass, let alone entering the car.

@aks2010, is your sun shade something as above? Could you provide a clearer picture and also details of how to source this shade? Thanks.
Old 29th February 2012, 11:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks2010 View Post
I am having to park my car under the sun. Got this windscreen sun-shade for Rs.220/-.
Does this stay stuck all day in sun?
Old 29th February 2012, 15:07   #43
BHPian

Never buy items from Rediff, especially from Ojus. They won't give you the item and they will take the money. To get back your money you have to fight with them through email. When you order it they will send you the courier tacking number but it will be a fake way bill number. For knowing more please read mouthshut.com. This same item is available in Ebay and cheaper too - about Rs. 600.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th May 2014 at 10:23. Reason: Typos
Old 6th March 2012, 19:52   #44
BHPian

Two very stupid ideas here ..

1. Put a luggage carrier on the roof and make sure it is some lining below it. That ways, sun's direct heat will not come on the car roof causing it not to heat up much.

2. Use white color towel to cover the dashboard (in case if it is all black). I have tried this one personally and it does work. Maximum heat comes from windscreen which can be avoided by the towel.

(Please don't kick my b*** for these two silly options .. )
Old 7th March 2012, 09:38   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Two very stupid ideas here ..

1. Put a luggage carrier on the roof and make sure it is some lining below it. That ways, sun's direct heat will not come on the car roof causing it not to heat up much.

2. Use white color towel to cover the dashboard (in case if it is all black). I have tried this one personally and it does work. Maximum heat comes from windscreen which can be avoided by the towel.

(Please don't kick my b*** for these two silly options .. )
Another variation harking back to my Ambassador days was to have a "Khus Khus" under the carrier, spray water on it and the car remains cool in worst of summers. As the seats were rexine, which would heat up tremendously a white seat cover made of toweling material helped a lot.

In some cases the stearing wheel rim gets extremely hot. A white towel draped over it is the answer.

Most Viewed