Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2011, 11:36   #166
BHPian

re: Tips on driving an automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
"At traffic signals, ensure the gear selector is moved to the PARK position".
I prefer to put into P(ark) with the engine running only when I need to get out of the vehicle for a few moments.

When inside, it is N(uetral) with the hand-brake on for safety (I do now want any freak incident like someone hitting me from behind).
Old 11th August 2011, 12:02   #167
Senior - BHPian

If you put up the handbrake you get a couple of seconds of rest. Which is worth it.
Keeping it in D means you have to hold the brakes.
But N gives you the option of letting off the brakes.
Why not use it then.
Old 11th August 2011, 12:22   #168
BANNED

I have not been here for a few months so this is additional wisdom or noise depending how you view it:

1. Hyundai 3+1 transmission. The OD gives you fourth (60kph +with a soft foot on my Santro) but still engine is engaged only in 2 & 1 for reverse braking. You cannot get reverse braking in 3. I understand that Hyundai is still using the same (or similar) transmission sa cross the range. So this is the difference from a true four speed.

2. Honda etc. when you engage the S mode with manual over-ride then you get reverse braking! I guess the same applies to most higher end ATs.

3.Samurai raised the point about having to look at the Transmission when going from N to D. The 'stop' is disabled between N and D, so you can move with impunity. You can switch without pressing the button. Thus just pull the transmission lever back and you will be in D. Cannot go anywhere else. In General look at the locking knob operation this way. It encourages you to stay in N and D. You can move from 1 to 2 and into D with no knob press. Reverse is not acceptable to the AT.

Last edited by sgiitk : 11th August 2011 at 12:23.
Old 11th August 2011, 12:40   #169
Senior - BHPian

Agree with point 2 & 3.
in S mode you get the advantage of engine braking in a Honda.

And switching to N is encouraged as you do not need to press the shift lock button between D & N
Old 11th August 2011, 12:58   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
^_ I tried the above today. I have to say it was not so dense or heavy traffic, but slow and moving. The whole thing lasted for about 4-5 minutes. The gear lever was on 2 and o/d was off. I could not find a difference between this setting and the normal 'D'. I probably will have to try this in even more dense and crawling traffic.
You will see a difference only at higher speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
3.Samurai raised the point about having to look at the Transmission when going from N to D. The 'stop' is disabled between N and D, so you can move with impunity. You can switch without pressing the button. Thus just pull the transmission lever back and you will be in D. Cannot go anywhere else. In General look at the locking knob operation this way. It encourages you to stay in N and D. You can move from 1 to 2 and into D with no knob press. Reverse is not acceptable to the AT.
How will you ensure it will be D and not 2 or 1? It is an old and safe habit I have developed after driving 50+ different AT cars, always look where the gear is shifting. Not point getting used to a technique that works only on some cars.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th August 2011 at 13:00.
Old 11th August 2011, 14:37   #171
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How will you ensure it will be D and not 2 or 1? It is an old and safe habit I have developed after driving 50+ different AT cars, always look where the gear is shifting. Not point getting used to a technique that works only on some cars.
It is there in every AT I have driven, in India or in Europe. Not having to release the lock only works between D and N. 3, 2 1 allow you to migrate towards D and not the other way round. I must confess I have never driven in the land of the AT (US) but whatever experience I have says the same. One more bit, this ability to switch from D to N and vice versa is not documented in the manual (I am still to see one mentioning it).
Old 11th August 2011, 15:17   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One more bit, this ability to switch from D to N and vice versa is not documented in the manual (I am still to see one mentioning it).
We have a saying in the techie-world, what is not documented can change anytime. I do recall driving couple of ATs without a shift button, don't remember which one though.

All ATs don't behave the same. That much I know.

For example, most ATs resist rolling back at D. But don't get too used to that. My Uncle's 2001 Volvo S-80 used to rollback in slightest inclines like it was in N even while being in D. I had to use handbrake while starting off on inclines.

In most cars I driven, you can't shift out of Park unless brake is pressed. That became an habit, I never shift out of P without pressing the brakes. But you can do it in i10 AT.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th August 2011 at 15:32.
Old 11th August 2011, 15:21   #173
BHPian

Quote:
One more bit, this ability to switch from D to N and vice versa is not documented in the manual (I am still to see one mentioning it).
It's there in the Ford's OM. A very clear diagram where black arrows indicate "lockout" of movement and white arrows indicate free movement between the positions. And yes, D to N is a free movement.
Old 11th August 2011, 15:36   #174
BANNED

@Samurai:

1.We have a saying in the techie-world, what is not documented can change anytime. I do recall driving couple of ATs with a shift button, don't remember which one though.
All ATs don't behave the same. That much I know.

Agreed, but experience of 30 years also tell you something. As for AT behaviour you yourself mention the i10 (and co).

2. For example, most ATs resist rolling back at D. But don't get too used to that. My Uncle's 2001 Volvo S-80 used to rollback in slightest inclines like it was in N even while being in D. I had to use handbrake while starting off on inclines.

This vehicle will also not have a tendency to creep at lights.

3. In most cars I driven, you can't shift out of Park unless brake is pressed. That became an habit, I never shift out of P without pressing the brakes. But you can do it in i10 AT.

Again agree. I could also do it in the Zen AT I had prior to the Santro (ditto for the Esteem AT which used the same box). Only reinforces my view that the Hyundai AT belongs to the age of the dinosaurs. Hopefully Maruti ATs have since evolved!

I feel this interlock is required, since you can very easily do serious damage to the transmission by engaging P with the vehicle not totally stationary.

Last edited by sgiitk : 11th August 2011 at 15:37.
Old 11th August 2011, 15:51   #175
Team-BHP Support

I have been driving ATs for 18 years, out of which only 2 years in the middle I didn't own AT.

Quote:
I feel this interlock is required, since you can very easily do serious damage to the transmission by engaging P with the vehicle not totally stationary.
Not really, they do have a mechanism to prevent any damage, at least I have seen it in Santro AT. Once while driving in traffic, the engine just switched off. I quickly wanted to shift to N and coast to the side. Out of confusion, I shifted to P instead, while still moving at 10kmph. All I got was a series of clicks, and no damage.
Old 11th August 2011, 18:07   #176
BHPian

Quote:
All I got was a series of clicks, and no damage.
Samurai, you mean nothing at all? Not even damage to the the (P)arking pawl or gear?
Old 11th August 2011, 21:48   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All I got was a series of clicks, and no damage.
A friend of mine did the same thing in his Civic, shifted to P by mistake while at about 10kmph. All we heard were clicks, and then it was fine once the car stopped.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 09:17   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
A friend of mine did the same thing in his Civic, shifted to P by mistake while at about 10kmph. All we heard were clicks, and then it was fine once the car stopped.
Glad to hear that, though it has never happened to me.
It is extremely comforting to hear that the Civic has some protective measures to ensure nothing goes wrong even if this does happen by mistake.
Old 12th August 2011, 09:45   #179
Team-BHP Support

Looks like both Santro and Civic have the same safeguard. But don't take it for granted in every AT car.
Old 12th August 2011, 10:26   #180
BANNED

Quote:
Looks like both Santro and Civic have the same safeguard. But don't take it for granted in every AT car.
A small correction. Santro can shift to P without intervention of the brake as you mentioned. Only the P shift is not operative. mdsaab confirms the same for the Honda (City and Civic have the same box). I do not trust automation is some things. This is why I called the Hyundai AT a dinosaur (almost no interlocks), as was the old Maruti Three-speed. There is only one thing certain in life,"Nothing is certain". Honda central locking releases when you go to P, another 'encouragement' from them.

Last edited by sgiitk : 12th August 2011 at 10:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks