Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2016, 12:43   #316
BANNED

Re: Tips on driving an Automatic

@landcruises123; I was referring to situations where you are stopped for a few minutes. When Parking yes, the handbrake must be applied.
Old 2nd January 2016, 13:37   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
But at a signal or in situations with traffic all around you better to be N + Handbrake. Reason is that when in P, the car is held in place by a 'parking pin' ( dont recollect the actual name). The gearbox is engaged and in the unfortunate event of getting rear ended, you can end up damaging the gear box. In N this problem is not there.
Thanks. Yes at intersections and places other than home/office parking lot I use N + hand brake. Apart from the problem of accidental damage that you mentioned while engaging P mode, I also feel that it is easier to move from N to D when the traffic moves (just one position change) compared to moving from P to D.
Old 3rd January 2016, 00:06   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
Some cars even tend to creep in N.
AT cars tend to creep in D. Since the gear is not engaged in N mode, I am not sure how the car will creep in N ? Which cars, BTW ?
Old 3rd January 2016, 09:41   #319
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
AT cars tend to creep in D. Since the gear is not engaged in N mode, I am not sure how the car will creep in N ? Which cars, BTW ?
I think it was my Zen AT or Santro AT which would creep in N. It was not as severe as in D, in fact the Zen had a warning ticker about it on the dash. I have had at least one AT car since 1999, and am on both At since 2010.
Old 3rd January 2016, 15:25   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Most Honda's will not start unless the Brake is pressed as well.
I own an ANHC AT and the car starts without the brake pad being depressed. This is with the gear position in P.

Have never tried starting with the lever in any other position but now that I have read this post let me try.

And no, the car doesn't creep in N mode.

Last edited by @Chaand : 3rd January 2016 at 15:27.
Old 3rd January 2016, 18:34   #321
BANNED

@Chaand; My Civic definitely will not start without the Brake being pressed. I will have to check in the Brio! These will not creep due to the built in grade control logic.
Old 9th January 2016, 23:23   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Chaand; My Civic definitely will not start without the Brake being pressed. I will have to check in the Brio! These will not creep due to the built in grade control logic.
My V40 doesn't start without the brake being depressed either. Pressing the start button without pressing the brakes only turns on the electronics fully. Pressing the start button again without the brake depressed will result in an error message being displayed in the dashboard.
Old 14th January 2016, 17:46   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
These will not creep due to the built in grade control logic.
Are you saying it will not creep in D ? I doubt that because AFAIK AT cars do creep in D - and is intended that way.

Or did you mean it won't creep in N ? In N anyway, the drive is not engaged and no AT car would creep. So nothing to do with any logic.

Regarding "grade control logic", isn't that for regulating the speed / gear when the car is in descent / ascent ? Creep happens on level ground in D.
Old 14th January 2016, 19:22   #324
BHPian

Hi,

I am using a 2009 model Hyundai i10, the following is my driving habits:

1. I park my car in P mode with handbrake on.
2. While starting up, i will let the car remain in the same P+HB mode and crank up the engine and leave it for a few minutes before taking off.
3. In signals i always engage the P mode with my legs lifted off the brakes.

Would someone please explain me weather this is a good practice in general or not?
Old 15th January 2016, 02:26   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visran View Post
Hi,

I am using a 2009 model Hyundai i10, the following is my driving habits:

1. I park my car in P mode with handbrake on.
2. While starting up, i will let the car remain in the same P+HB mode and crank up the engine and leave it for a few minutes before taking off.

Would someone please explain me weather this is a good practice in general or not?
1- is fine although you don't really need the handbrakes unless you have parked on a slope

2- Most modern drivetrains can take off pretty much immediately although no harm done with the practice you follow

3- NO, NO, NO... On signals, either leave your car in D with your foot on the brake or on longish signals, shift to N with your foot on the brake
God forbid, if you were to be slammed from behind at a signal (quite common on our roads), you will not only be looking at a ruined bumper but also a screwed up transmission
I repeat, there is nothing you gain with shifting to P on a signal but you do potentially have a lot to lose
abhi182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 08:41   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visran View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
3- NO, NO, NO... On signals, either leave your car in D with your foot on the brake or on longish signals, shift to N with your foot on the brake
God forbid, if you were to be slammed from behind at a signal (quite common on our roads), you will not only be looking at a ruined bumper but also a screwed up transmission
I repeat, there is nothing you gain with shifting to P on a signal but you do potentially have a lot to lose
This is what I have started practicing:
  • Halt of approx. 1 minute: N + HB + Engine ON
  • Halt of 1.5+ minutes: N + HB + Engine OFF after 15 seconds
  • Parking & getting off the car: P + HB + Engine OFF after appropriate cooling off time which is dependent on the drive that I just completed.
sohu9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 17:36   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True. Been there, experienced that. Saved only as the car was on N and just rolled forward innocently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohu9 View Post
This is what I have started practicing:
  • Halt of approx. 1 minute: N + HB + Engine ON
  • Halt of 1.5+ minutes: N + HB + Engine OFF after 15 seconds
  • Parking & getting off the car: P + HB + Engine OFF after appropriate cooling off time which is dependent on the drive that I just completed.
If you are not on a slope, better not engage the HB. For the same reason as mentioned above.
Old 16th January 2016, 13:17   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
If you are not on a slope, better not engage the HB. For the same reason as mentioned above.
Please note that I don't use foot brake when I am using N + HB at signals. Are you suggesting that HB is not required at signals if the road is flat (no slope) even if I don't use foot brake? Or are you suggesting that one should use N + foot brake at signals?

I would think that at least one of the brake (hand or foot) should be engaged. My preference is HB instead of the regular foot brake.
Old 16th January 2016, 13:47   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohu9 View Post
Please note that I don't use foot brake when I am using N + HB at signals. Are you suggesting that HB is not required at signals if the road is flat (no slope) even if I don't use foot brake? Or are you suggesting that one should use N + foot brake at signals?

I would think that at least one of the brake (hand or foot) should be engaged. My preference is HB instead of the regular foot brake.
If the road is flat, no need for any brake. Just shift to N & switch off the engine for longer signals.
For shorter signals, if you decide to keep the engine on and shift to N, then you may lightly apply the footbrake (because even if you by mistake shift from N->D, the car won't move as you have the footbrakes on).
In case of a sudden hit at the back of the car, it is a lost faster to release the footbrake than to release the handbrake.
Old 16th January 2016, 13:49   #330
BHPian

Quote:

Very true. Apart from this, some cars unlock the doors as soon as you engage P. This is a risk in most of our Indian cities and another disincentive for using P at signals.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks