Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2005, 17:19   #31
BHPian

Dont know if i should be asking this question...but still i will ask..
Technically what is the difference between "N" and "P"??
Old 17th July 2005, 17:36   #32
Senior - BHPian

simple description would be -
when (P) is engaged the wheels are locked {P stands for parking}..the car will not move ...
neutral is when the wheels are free and rolling without any gear engaged ...
Old 17th July 2005, 18:32   #33
BHPian

So how are the wheels locked?? Is parking breaks engaged or a gear is engaged??
Old 17th July 2005, 19:17   #34
Senior - BHPian

at (P) only the drive wheels are locked ...(if its a FWD then the front wheels are locked vis a vis for RWD)

hand brake/parking brake is used to lock up the rear which one has to do manually ..
Old 17th July 2005, 19:45   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania
alright..need some tips about driving my NHC CVT which I got 3 weeks back..
Wanted to ask - if there is a long downsloping road,can I shift into N from D mode when adequate cruising speed has been reached,or will it affect the CVT engine,and stuff??..
Also,after the slope ends,and need to drive back on normal straight road,can I shift into D from N while the car is still on cruising speed?..
In NHC CVT,shifts between N and D don't require the brake to be pressed,nor the lever switch on the CVT shift knob has to be pressed..
I just wanted to know whether doing this will save on fuel a bit,if the slope is quite long...and also,whether doing this will affect the CVT gearbox.
Srasania,

The ironic thing is that chances are you will SAVE more fuel if you stay in D, or L without pressing the throttle. (Im not 100% sure if this is the way it works for auto boxes though, but in a manual MPFI car when you are going downhill and you leave the throttle, the ECU cuts the fuel supply, so going downhill or rolling in 4th/5th/6th will actually use no fuel, whereas if the car was in N it would take fuel just to keep the engine running.)

Rodeo,
You can think of P being similar to when a manual car is in gear but the engine is off.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th July 2005 at 19:48.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2005, 22:37   #36
BHPian

hey rehaan..well,the NHC CVT also works on an PGM-FI(Programmed Fuel Injection) system..I saw it on the Honda Car India website
Direct link for Specifications is
http://www.hondacarindia.com/city/pe.../techspecs.asp

So,I guess that whatever you said - like keeping the car in D itself will cut off Fuel supply to engine while going downslope instead of keeping it in N is better..safetywise,as well as FEwise..!
cheers,
Suraj
Old 17th July 2005, 23:08   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vack
yes.. have to agree with that... in bombay traffic i prefer driving an auto than a manual... just makes soooo much more sense!!!!
Would you care to state why you do not like driving a manual ?
Old 18th July 2005, 10:41   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
hey rehaan..well,the NHC CVT also works on an PGM-FI(Programmed Fuel Injection) system..I saw it on the Honda Car India website
Direct link for Specifications is
http://www.hondacarindia.com/city/pe.../techspecs.asp

So,I guess that whatever you said - like keeping the car in D itself will cut off Fuel supply to engine while going downslope instead of keeping it in N is better..safetywise,as well as FEwise..!
cheers,
Suraj
Hi Srasania,

Well the question with the CVT was not whether it has electronically controlled fuel injection. Its a question of whether or not the tranny can transfer the load in the opposite direction. (same reason you can't push start an auto car).

Im really not sure about this, could someone with the right info clear things up -
>Will the fuel used be less if going downhill in D on an auto and for a CVT ?
>Will putting the car in D1/D2/S/L etc work for cutting fuel supply as stated in the above post by me, since it would lock up the torque converter?
>Will the same apply to a CVT?

My guess would be that the gears lower than D (ie D4 or S etc) would probably be your best bet.
But the fact is that either which way you should not be putting your car into N when going downhill, whether you have a manual or an auto.

cya
R
Old 24th July 2005, 00:18   #39
BHPian

hey rehaan..
Well,I guess keeping the car in D rather than in N while going downhill actually saves fuel like you said..!..because I now just keep the car in D..even at traffic lights..never shift to N..and my Fuel Economy has drastically increased from 10.5km/litre to 12.5km/litre keeping the same fuel(Speed 93),and same driving(100% AC on,City driving conditions)..
I don't know the answers to the technical questions you've put in your post..am a novice ! ..but as per the FE figures for my CVT,I'm presuming that the Fuel supply is cut off if feet are off the gas pedal in CVT.Don't have any idea about conventional auto gear cars though.
cheers,
sr
Old 24th July 2005, 02:08   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I now just keep the car in D..even at traffic lights..never shift to N..and my Fuel Economy has drastically increased from 10.5km/litre to 12.5km/litre
Hi again,

Keeping the car in D instead of N or P at traffic lights bringing up your average? I SERIOUSLY doubt it; it would do the opposite in my opinion!

cya
R
Old 24th July 2005, 22:26   #41
BHPian

Even I don't know why that happened Rehaan !!..but well,I'll check out the traffic lights thing in N as well as D for next few more days..and will report effect on FE !..I am really surprised as to how the FE increased from 10.5 to 12.5 recently !?..is it because of 1st free service done 4 days back !?..
cheers,
sr
Old 29th July 2005, 18:06   #42
BHPian

is it just me, or does anyone else think that driving a manual transmission in indian traffic is a pain in the but???? ..or maybe i just feel like that cause im a newbie at this, lol. Bangalore traffic scares me a little..i wonder how Mumbai or Delhi traffic is....
Old 29th July 2005, 18:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

i miss the automatic too at when am caught in a bumper to bumper traffic situation ...
delhi - traffic is extremely rash .. main roads are wider ,cleaner ,lesser potholes thereby giving way to overspeeding youngsters ..
Qualis - terror on the roads from delhi to gurgaon and delhi to noida ..call centres drivers are a complete menace ..reckless, liscenseless and Jaatts not a good combination ...
Old 29th July 2005, 19:52   #44
Team-BHP Support

auto tranny shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfikar
Well i have been driving a A/T Nissan 1.8L since oct 2004 and i like it...
its the best thing in traffic...
when ever you come to a signal you can put it in "N"...
as in "D" the car will keep moving Foward...
i have driven number of A/T cars and all move when in "D"...
"P" is used when u are stoping the car for long time...
You can always use it in signals also...
the best thing i like about auto is that you can also drive it like a Manual...well sort off...

on the Shift you will have P, R, N, D, 2, 1...
when your trying to race put in 1 and start will will not shift to another gare till you take it off 1...take it till the red line then put it in 2... again take it till the read line and then put it in "D"...
its FUN...
i dont think it would damage the car...
but FE falls like anything...
my car gives me about 6+KMPL when i Pull it bad...
normally 7-8...
but it gave me 11KMPL on highway...
so have fun with it...
you should definitely read up a little on automatic transmissions, else you're going to be spending money on rebuilding or replacing your transmission pretty soon.
ad
Old 9th April 2007, 23:13   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania View Post
hey rehaan..
Well,I guess keeping the car in D rather than in N while going downhill actually saves fuel like you said..!..because I now just keep the car in D..even at traffic lights..never shift to N..and my Fuel Economy has drastically increased from 10.5km/litre to 12.5km/litre keeping the same fuel(Speed 93),and same driving(100% AC on,City driving conditions)..
Havent worked with CVTs, but its unlikely... Something else must be equating for better mileage....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hi Srasania,

Well the question with the CVT was not whether it has electronically controlled fuel injection. Its a question of whether or not the tranny can transfer the load in the opposite direction. (same reason you can't push start an auto car).
Exactly

Quote:

My guess would be that the gears lower than D (ie D4 or S etc) would probably be your best bet.
But the fact is that either which way you should not be putting your car into N when going downhill, whether you have a manual or an auto.

cya
R
Thats what i would say......

No matter what the system, if the drivetrain can load the engine in opposite direction, use it for slowing down.... You save fuel and brakes !!!!! Plus you stay in control...

Last edited by rdkarthik : 9th April 2007 at 23:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks