Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2009, 23:38   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvarunagarwal View Post
The dealer there said that there is no need to install one due the same reasons as mentioned in your respective posts. He said (and the car's manual confirms it) that there is a transponder chip placed in the key which wirelessly communicates with the engine and if the original key is not there inside the car the car will not start.

Well that part is definitely true. The engine will simply refuse to start until the key has been authenticated. Duplicating the key will be of no use to a thief

Many car companies are offering this these days, Maruti has it's iCATS system on all new cars now. Don't know about others.
Old 23rd May 2009, 00:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Well that part is definitely true. The engine will simply refuse to start until the key has been authenticated. Duplicating the key will be of no use to a thief

Many car companies are offering this these days, Maruti has it's iCATS system on all new cars now. Don't know about others.
Tata Vista has RFID immobilizer in the key.
Old 23rd May 2009, 18:36   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He said (and the car's manual confirms it) that there is a transponder chip placed in the key which wirelessly communicates with the engine and if the original key is not there inside the car the car will not start.
Quote:
Cars are getting stolen (including icats enabled Maruti's or similarly equipped Scorpios) despite having this anti-theft feature. No car is theft-proof. That's why I posted earlier that the key is to make things as difficult as possible. A gear lock, irrespective of whether the car has icats or not, will make the steal less desirable to the thief.
Old 23rd May 2009, 21:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Cars are getting stolen (including icats enabled Maruti's or similarly equipped Scorpios) despite having this anti-theft feature. No car is theft-proof. That's why I posted earlier that the key is to make things as difficult as possible. A gear lock, irrespective of whether the car has icats or not, will make the steal less desirable to the thief.
If the thief can't start the car only how does having gear lock be of additional help?
Old 23rd May 2009, 21:31   #20
BHPian

How effective are gear locks ?? the ones in which the rod goes in...

I have heard all these encryptions and RFID works only when someone uses a key to steal...but what if the thief bypasses the lock by just opening the under steering cover...

And how about MICRO VBB ??? is it helpful??
Old 24th May 2009, 09:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
I have heard all these encryptions and RFID works only when someone uses a key to steal...but what if the thief bypasses the lock by just opening the under steering cover...
Accessing the starter wires isn't going to help much when the ECU won't turn on the fuel pump, refuses to run the injectors and shuts down spark. The pleasures of owning a Civic.
Old 25th May 2009, 22:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Accessing the starter wires isn't going to help much when the ECU won't turn on the fuel pump, refuses to run the injectors and shuts down spark. The pleasures of owning a Civic.

The same with my i20 (I guess, cany any expert confirm?). That is where the question arises, how gear lock is of additional help if any?
Old 26th May 2009, 11:07   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If the thief can't start the car only how does having gear lock be of additional help?
You can count on Indian ingenuity to find a solution. Theives now roam around with cracked ECUs! Refer to this thread for more information.

There isn't a system out there that is 100% theft-proof.
Old 26th May 2009, 11:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

are those chipped keys, like one I have for SX4 , are of any use? Does that gives some protection to handover the key to washer guy? Because I think duplicating the key is easy but it will not be easy and quick to duplicate the chip in side the key base.

Though as base rule, I never handover the key to washer or parking attendant, even if I have to move to another parking.
Old 26th May 2009, 11:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Best (and convenient) ways to protect your car against theft in India:

1. Use a solid gear lock (the type that permanently bolts on to your car). Second option is a steering lock.

2. Security alarm + motion + impact sensors + immobilizer.
I have a gear lock and a steering lock and Autocop.
The point is, even if a thief is determined enough to cut through the
steering lock and uninstall the gear lock, he will have to have a good amount of time to do the deed, which in many cases is not feasible.
Quote:
5. Don't let your car keys circulate amongst the watchmen / car wash guys of your society.
Good point and severely neglected!
Quote:
Of course, no car is theft-proof and a determined thief will still be able to drive away with your wheels. But the key is to make it as difficult as possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks