Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Driveshaft / Axle Maintenance (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/59138-driveshaft-axle-maintenance-11.html)

balenoed_ 5th December 2019 12:06

Re: Driveshaft / Axle Maintenance

Baleno Sedan:

Some noise under the hood when taking left turns. It sounds like a metal plate being rubbed on the road. Happens only during left turns. The mechanic told it is the drive shaft gone wrong but there is no visible damage seen on the drive shaft like torn boots etc. Also there is no noise when we tested when the car is lifted up on the jack. The noise comes only when driven on the road (I mean with a load) looks like. What could be it?

SGP does not makes/supply drive shaft anymore. But other after market ones are available. Are they good enough? No other choice though if I have to replace. Car is at 1.6L kms on ODO. And is it okay to replace only the left one?

Leoshashi 5th December 2019 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by balenoed_ (Post 4706282)
Baleno Sedan:

Some noise under the hood when taking left turns. It sounds like a metal plate being rubbed on the road. Happens only during left turns. The mechanic told it is the drive shaft gone wrong but there is no visible damage seen on the drive shaft like torn boots etc. Also there is no noise when we tested when the car is lifted up on the jack. The noise comes only when driven on the road (I mean with a load) looks like. What could be it?

SGP does not makes/supply drive shaft anymore. But other after market ones are available. Are they good enough? No other choice though if I have to replace. Car is at 1.6L kms on ODO. And is it okay to replace only the left one?

My reply in no particular order. I wish to convey all these things so kindly pardon if it becomes a longish post. :)

1. Driveshafts aren't available in MGP/SGP. But you can look for them(specially the MGP ones in live stock) and procure.

2. Somewhat good news is that the CV joints are still in supply(albeit expensive at around 9k per side, SGP), so you have the option of overhauling the current ones to as good as new.

3. Many aftermarket shops refurbish and rebuild them. However I'm strictly not a fan of this option, as it never lasts. I have never got it done, never needed to(touchwood), but have seen friends wasting money on this option.

4. Try to source GKN/Delphi branded shafts. As per records, the shafts were localised in MGP so one of these two brands would have supplied it. Which other brands are available?

5. The common symptom of axle gone bad is: If you turn your car to left and KAT KAT KAT sound comes then your RH axle is gone bad and vice versa.

6. Also if your car has never seen a torn axle boot and if you have never been a bad boy in terms of maintenance/vehicle use then the axle shouldn't go bad this early. So also take advice from few other independent mechanics.

7. Replacing only one axle is fine.

Regards,
Shashi

balenoed_ 5th December 2019 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4706301)

4. Try to source GKN/Delphi branded shafts. As per records, the shafts were localised in MGP so one of these two brands would have supplied it. Which other brands are available?

5. The common symptom of axle gone bad is: If you turn your car to left and KAT KAT KAT sound comes then your RH axle is gone bad and vice versa.

Oh, I did not know this logic, that if the sound is when turning left, then it is the right shaft that is to be suspected.

The other makes that I found are "Track" and "GSP" and the latter is more expensive.

I am planning to have the mechanic remove both left and right and the intermediate shaft and inspect. After that will decide on what to replace.