Team-BHP - Driveshaft / Axle Maintenance
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Driveshaft / Axle Maintenance (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/59138-driveshaft-axle-maintenance-6.html)

you hear the thud when on bumps/speed breaker or on a straight line while accelerating.

If its on a straight line, just check the gear mounting. Its a rubber mount etched on a metal frame/base.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 1674292)
you hear the thud when on bumps/speed breaker or on a straight line while accelerating.

If its on a straight line, just check the gear mounting. Its a rubber mount etched on a metal frame/base.

i hear the dull thud sound in a straight line while sudden acceleration or decleration ie punch the gas pedal a little and u get to hear it, let go off the gas pedal fast and u get to hear it.

I am not sure which gear mounting you are talking abt.Is is related to the transmission?

thanks

I am facing a very weird situation.
I need to change my left axle every 2 months, since it starts making that rattling noise while turning and I feel as if the car is going to fall off. Am driving a 2003 800 MPFI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazydriver84 (Post 1691429)
I need to change my left axle every 2 months, since it starts making that rattling noise while turning and I feel as if the car is going to fall off. Am driving a 2003 800 MPFI.

Doesn't the drive shaft come with a warranty ? Two months is like :Shockked:. It should last at least 50k kms.

Well the driveshaft doesn't come with warranty. :(
but am wondering, could there be any other reason that's make all these axles go waste.

Has the left wheel of your car taken a hit, in which case there could be some slight bend on the chassis where the driveshaft is mounted. Get it checked by a comptent mechanic. Even a difference of few mm will cause trouble here. Are you having uneven tread wear on your front left tyre? Check that out too. If you anser is no to both the above, check if there is a cut on the drive shaft's rubber boot. If so, it will allow dirt to enter and your shaft would go kaput in no time. Another reason could be a bent lower arm.

what kind of damage one can expect if someone continues to drive with busted drive shafts?

^^^^
PS: please consider reading the whole thread first.

frequent driveshaft failure can be attributed to previous major hit on the apron area. which was inturn not properly repaired.

trailing arm or balance rod bend, struts leakage and also abnormal usage of tyre size and alloys.

Ok People, I had updated you earlier on the Drive shaft replacement I had made on my OHC, well both boots were cut and there was a tak tak sound... so long story short the Shafts where replaced.
The story jus began after the change - The noise with a rattle was still there on the front tire sides, plus the tik tak sounds occasionally near the door.. aaaahhhh! i was going mad and the HASS guys told me that it was the lower arm and that needed replacement. what do you want me to say??
I contacted QuickSliver from the forum and he said "bring your car to coimabtore and you can fix all your woes"
Guys, he was right. I went to coimbatore on a trip and took my OHC to TVS Honda and also because of a word from QuickSilver (who is a respected name there) I was treated to great service. The guys took my ailing car for a drive and came back with a bill that was paid with pocket change. the problem was simply lubrication and rectification of the calipers the tic tak by the door was the door hinges
and whoa la my car is FIT and drives with no noise in or out!
Sir Alec, could you please, like always - post some inputs on the maintenance in this area and also if we are informed on how this damage can be avoided.

^^
About brake calipers? that things comes in wheel servicing, which is standard after 5000kms.

this time i will takes some images while on the job. and create a new thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazydriver84 (Post 1691429)

Its likely that the front member or the one perpendicular to it (engine bedding) needs to be looked into. These only get damaged if the car has taken a hit from underneath.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnda (Post 1731213)
Ok People, I had updated you earlier on the Drive shaft replacement I had made on my OHC, well both boots were cut and there was a tak tak sound... so long story short the Shafts where replaced.

what was the cost of the drive shaft replacement ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by narayan (Post 1767185)
what was the cost of the drive shaft replacement ?

Narayan, I got the job done at Honda for about 17K (both L&R) the OEM is GKN you could source it in the open market if you have a reliable place that will do the rest!

When I fully turn my steering and reverse I hear a chattering noise from the front right wheel. However strangely there is no noise when I move forward doing a full turn.

Guys what you say on this, is there a problem with the drive shaft ?

Hi friends, I found the wheelside boot of my Zen-D loose and asked the mechanic to fix it, he fixed it without removing the axle and also didin't apply any grease. Should I check if the bearing is properly greased, as I had lost some grease when the boot came off ?