Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 15:11   #46
Senior - BHPian

Delphi comes with warranty.

warranty is tricky in case of axle. because boot can damage easily with harsh usage, and further bearing will get damage when grease leaks out.
Old 18th November 2009, 02:44   #47
BHPian

The GSP also comes with warranty and i heard that It looks like its a lil better than the Delphi any comments on that?
Old 18th November 2009, 14:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

I've replaced both the drive shafts of my WagonR in Septemeber for Rs 8 K approx, when the car had clocked 52K.Actually the right one was emanating sounds right from the time the odo had clocked only 23 K---surprising for a Maruti!

But since then, every morning I find some minor oil stains on the floor below the car. Does this signify some issue?
Old 18th November 2009, 15:38   #49
Senior - BHPian

^^^^
Oil or grease, please differentiate. Either case you have to get it checked, its not a good sign.
Old 18th November 2009, 15:44   #50
Senior - BHPian

Drive shafts can actually be repaired. By repaired I mean instead of changing the whole unit, there are two bearings inside each drive shaft which alone can be replaced. But this works only if the bearings are replaced as soon as the sounds starts coming. If the vehicle has been clocking many kms with this problem, then the driveshaft replcement is the best option. Also the bearing change is much cheaper and is more of a stop gap arrangement. It will not last as much as a new driveshaft.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2009, 15:18   #51
Senior - BHPian

^^^
though I would never recommend this. and nobody should.
Old 19th November 2009, 17:01   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
^^^
though I would never recommend this. and nobody should.
You Bet! I second that.
I always say "in trouble shooting always make sure the trouble wont shoot you"
Old 19th November 2009, 17:36   #53
BHPian

Drive Shafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Drive shafts can actually be repaired. By repaired I mean instead of changing the whole unit, there are two bearings inside each drive shaft which alone can be replaced.
I had once replaced my Maruthi 800 left side drive shaft due to Rubber boot damage and soil/sand getting in. Only one side of the drive shaft ball joint can be opened after removing the Circlip and repaired ( not adviceable). The other end is fabricated in such a way that it cannot be opened.
It is important to check the rubber boots of the joints frequently. Once the boots are damaged and sand or soil gets in, you have it. Then its better to replace the whole assembly.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

I feel that frequently inspecting the rubber boots are the only preventive action you can take to prevent driveshaft issues.

On the hint of slightest damage to boots get it replaced else dirt & grime will damage the drive shaft assembly. Some mechanics claims to repair the shaft assembly by changing the bearings but don’t know how much it can last.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:56   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
^^^^
Oil or grease, please differentiate. Either case you have to get it checked, its not a good sign.
Thanks for your advice. I did get it checked up by MASS, and they said that transmission oil was leaking via a damaged oil seal on the shafts. They owned up their mistake of not changing the oil seal, and repaired it free of cost today---all I was charged was Rs 115 for the part.
Old 9th December 2009, 20:29   #56
Senior - BHPian

Is this a drive shaft problem?

SirAlec!!

Bravo! This is a brilliant thread & information.

Ok here's my story - My wheel bearings were busted but I needed to go out of town urgently so drove it all the way to Mahabaleshwar. I left by 8 in the morning & reached there by noon. There was no issues except for the loud humming sound due to the busted bearings. I didnt use the car the entire day. The weather was rainy & foggy. The next morning wen I started to drive, I was getting a loud 'tak' & grinding/scuffing sound from my left front wheel. It was more prominent at lower speeds & not very audible at higher speeds. I suspected this noise was dude to driving a long distance on busted wheel bearings. After a bit of driving it totally vanished so I assumed it must have been a jammed brake due to rainy/humid weather & which got released later.

On reaching Mumbai I decided to give the car for a service & wheel bearing change on priority. On getting the car back it was absolutely fine but these sounds emerged again after 2 weeks. The grinding/scuffing sound is very minor and usually more prominent on braking & low speeds and the 'tak' sound is irregular & comes usually comes when I am turning the steering wheel while being stationary & on sharp turns. it is not a continous 'tak' sound but comes once or twice during the steering wheel turns.

Could this be a drive shaft problem or grease leak?
Old 10th December 2009, 08:00   #57
BHPian

I have been getting the tick-tick noise from the front end of my Indica,the mechanic told me there's some play in the drive shaft. Now i can replace it with an original part costing 2950/- or buy an alternate brand costing 1075/-.
What is the difference between these two ?
Old 10th December 2009, 09:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

@ EPIC,
I dont think its a drive shaft problem. i had a similar issue. check the steering linkages and the lower arms. in my case they just tightened some nuts on steering linkages and greased some part. this was long time ago.
the tak tak sound used to come only then i turn a bit, not a continuous sound. it was obvious on steering.
Old 10th December 2009, 20:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
@ EPIC,
I dont think its a drive shaft problem. i had a similar issue. check the steering linkages and the lower arms. in my case they just tightened some nuts on steering linkages and greased some part. this was long time ago.
the tak tak sound used to come only then i turn a bit, not a continuous sound. it was obvious on steering.
Hi Amit,

This is also what the Vitesse guys told me that some greasing is required. You mean to say I am driving around with some loose nuts ?? But I am glad it is nothing major. I am however surprised that this issue still exists even after servicing the car & has been overlooked by Vitesse. but anyway, you have been very helpful. Thanks.
Old 10th December 2009, 21:23   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
I have been getting the tick-tick noise from the front end of my Indica,the mechanic told me there's some play in the drive shaft. Now i can replace it with an original part costing 2950/- or buy an alternate brand costing 1075/-.
What is the difference between these two ?
one is made by local company. and other may be drom delphi or GKN, the oem suppliers for most major company.

I would recommend to go with the original one. If possible buy from the authorised service centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi Amit,

This is also what the Vitesse guys told me that some greasing is required. You mean to say I am driving around with some loose nuts ?? But I am glad it is nothing major. I am however surprised that this issue still exists even after servicing the car & has been overlooked by Vitesse. but anyway, you have been very helpful. Thanks.

@ to both above

Just to be sure, make a deep turn on a plain surface (drive round and round in circles.) with some speed. and hear for the sound.

Most Viewed