Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2009, 10:44   #1
BHPian

New 1.3 multijet diesel in a old Palio?

Hi all
I have a 2002 Palio Sport 1.2. The engine having done faithful duty over the years has now lost grunt. Was wondering if i can buy a new 1.3 fiat diesel engine and plonk it in the old car. If yes what will be the cost and modifications required. If no then whats the next best alternative to get back the performance in the car. Kindly suggest.
Old 26th May 2009, 13:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

There is absolutely no value-add doing this.
Old 26th May 2009, 13:47   #3
BHPian

Hmmm...interesting idea. It would be a tough one though. Sourcing the engine itself is going to be tough. After that, "plonking it in" is not as simple as it sounds. Trouble is that modern cars (yes, the old palio is a modern car) much is controlled by electronics. It is not a relatively simpler mechanical swap. IMO, there is not much to be gained by this. I am sure you can get a used GTX for half of what you will spend on doing this, both in terms of money and personal time. Use the other half to tank up, and you will have the time of your life. Else, just swap the vehicle with a MJD palio. I am biased, so I would say that if you have the budget (about 2L shoudl be good enough to buy and do the minor work required for used cars) and the patience (these cars in good condition are becoming rare), go for a used 1.6 GTX or an S10.
Old 26th May 2009, 16:50   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Was wondering if i can buy a new 1.3 fiat diesel engine and plonk it in the old car.
Given the money, anything is possible. However, the 1.3 Fiat engine will cost you more than your cars worth today! Either hold on to your car, or sell and buy another factory diesel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks