Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2009, 14:47   #16
BHPian

Did you check if there were any temporary error codes from the ECU? Get the Throttle Body cleaned, the idle control valve may be acting up.
Old 28th May 2009, 15:08   #17
BHPian

@SHIV

What is the raised RPM when you press the clutch pedal ? I have the same issue from day 1. In my case, it gets upto 1200 rpm or so.
Old 1st June 2009, 15:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
@SHIV

What is the raised RPM when you press the clutch pedal ? I have the same issue from day 1. In my case, it gets upto 1200 rpm or so.

Hi Ravindra,
Seen it rise and hover between 2000 and 3000. Also, i have noted that this problem is generally not seen when I use fuel from HP. Ikon Users - any pointers here? I have been filling up from Shell and Indian Oil (Normal).
Old 1st June 2009, 22:14   #19
BHPian

I have been an Ikon owner for close to 2.5 years. I have this issue from Day 1. But this issue is seen only during cold starts. It goes off in 5 minutes or so. The RPM shoots upto close to 2k RPM. I have seen this with Petrol from all companies and of all octane values. I have never reported this issue (not sure why).
But the overall condition of my car is top notch at 40k kms, after abuse filled driving. And i have started believing that is a common issue in many Ikons, not all Ikons though.
Old 2nd June 2009, 01:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Does tis happen when its idle or its on the move.
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:11   #21
BANNED

A cold engine tends to idle faster in all cars. Unlike the old carb cars here you do not have the option of not using the choke!

Also, if HP fuels does not show up the problem then either the other(s) you are using are fishy or HP is fishy. The engine does not know what fuel you are using.

Last edited by sgiitk : 2nd June 2009 at 09:12.
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Partly stuck accelerator cable?
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:35   #23
BHPian

Faced this problem again this morning. It happens when on idle as well as on the move. This morning, when waiting at the trinity circle junction, i saw it going up to 2200 on idle. I am frustrated. Anyway, driving to coimbatore tomorrow. Will see how it behaves. Will go back to the service center when back.
IKon Users - What has been your experience. Is this normal of an Ikon?
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv View Post
Faced this problem again this morning. It happens when on idle as well as on the move. This morning, when waiting at the trinity circle junction, i saw it going up to 2200 on idle. I am frustrated. Anyway, driving to coimbatore tomorrow. Will see how it behaves. Will go back to the service center when back.
IKon Users - What has been your experience. Is this normal of an Ikon?
In the last 3 years of my ownership of Ikon, have faced the same problem only once. Switched off the ignition and started it,and the problem had gone.

However as a precaution poured some coconut oil on the accelator cable and touchwood, haven't faced the same problem yet.
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have Ikon from last 4.5 years, as per my experience when we are on a move and you press the clutch after leaving accelerator the RPM goes up for some fraction of seconds and then come down. It won't come down immediately. If you are referring to this then it is not a problem. It is there to provide a smoother ride with fewer jerks while driving. The same thing is in Altis also.

Other than that only when the engine is cold the RPM is relatively high which comes down in few seconds as it the car is using automatic choke.

I would suggest you to test drive other new Ikons in showroom and find out if the problem is in your car or is it a feature.
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:22   #26
BHPian

Possible problem may be;

1. RPM Switch has conked out;
2. Leakage/rupture in the Vaccum Pipe
3. ECU malfunction. In that case a remapping would be required. The ECU software would vary with the model and year of manufacture. Hence, the dealer has to carefully remap or risk making a mess.
4. Accelerator cable might have to be changed. Might be getting stuck somewhere.

This problem has occured in my ASTRA and none are able to rectify it. The GM dealer knowing nothing has made a mess of it. My car is currently in another Private Garage who is doing the remapping. Hence pl be careful with the ECU.

Last edited by sandeep.mishra : 2nd June 2009 at 13:23.
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:31   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
I have Ikon from last 4.5 years, as per my experience when we are on a move and you press the clutch after leaving accelerator the RPM goes up for some fraction of seconds and then come down. It won't come down immediately. If you are referring to this then it is not a problem. It is there to provide a smoother ride with fewer jerks while driving. The same thing is in Altis also.
The same is true for my car as well. However, I've noticed this a lot more during the shift from 2nd to 3rd gears. Its not too noticeable during shifts to other gears.
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The same is true for my car as well. However, I've noticed this a lot more during the shift from 2nd to 3rd gears. Its not too noticeable during shifts to other gears.
exactly sir. I too see it more often when changing from 2nd to 3rd while on the move.
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Similar thread exists. See here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...pm-needle.html
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:22   #30
Team-BHP Support

Mods note: Thread merged.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks