Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 18:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hi Joe,

The problem in your case is that we still don't know which ahs gone bad?

Though the brake booster can go bad, it would be a rare occurrence. I tend to agree with the mechanics version.

Did you try all those tests suggested here and in the Yahoo group posts?

Testing for the booster is easy as mentioned in one of the earlier posts.
Old 2nd June 2009, 21:05   #17
BHPian

@joecherian

I'd really advice to get it checked someplace else yar.

You see if brake fluid is indeed leaking (inside the booster) as trrk said, oil levels will go down. Again once oil is inside there is nothing much you can do.
It has a rubber diaphragm, once brake fluid touched rubber you know what will happen. I really don't think a master cylinder failure (oil seal or whatever) will leak oil into the booster. I did replace the entire oil seal "O"-ring kit once it did not spoil the booster.

Let us know once you check her out elsewhere.
I think that is the best way forward as the local guy and Authorized guy seems keen in taking you for a expensive ride.
Old 8th June 2009, 06:56   #18
BHPian

The update is, I went to Manipal motors, have them check the brake and then they too came to the conclusion that the booster assembly has to be replaced.

My question is, how much do they charge as labor charge for this job ie, brake booster assembly replacement ? Prerana motors quoted 900 and told this is around 3-4 hours job. A local work shop mechanic told this is a 1 hr job. Since this is a critical component, I am not sure whether I should go with the TASC or a local mechanic and more over, is the labor charge of 900 justifiable ?

I have bought the booster assembly outside and now need only the replacement job done.

Last edited by joecherian : 8th June 2009 at 06:58.
Old 8th June 2009, 08:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

900 Rs is ok, get it done at TASC, if they are ok with working on parts bought by you. Removing and fitting booster is very time consuming job if not very technical. Space in Indica and Indigo around booster is very less, so alot of parts have to opened up to get it on place

Last edited by rkbharat : 8th June 2009 at 08:29.
Old 8th June 2009, 12:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi Joe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
I have bought the booster assembly outside
After the work is over and you are free of this problem, please do give us the details including price of the booster that you bought.

Thanks.
Old 9th June 2009, 07:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi Joe,
After the work is over and you are free of this problem, please do give us the details including price of the booster that you bought.
Thanks.
The latest update is , my brakes are back to normal. Went to Prerana on OMR, had them change the booster. It was bit tough for them to get the booster out from its seating as there were too many obstructions. Finally, then got it out. I knew this and hence I was near the car when the whole work was done so that they don't do any mess up..

At th end, the total cost came up some thing like

booster : 5200 ( Tata price is 6600)
labor : 550

On a side note, would like to know whether any of the BHPians had given their Indigo with reg no KA ** M* 6714 for service in Prerana Motors OMR yesterday ? Since I was inside the work area seeing the work being done on my car, saw a large group assembling behind this Indigo and there were lot of talks in between them.. It seems, one of the mechanics, while backing out the car, rammed it against some vehicle or wall and the result is rear right tail lamp is shattered completely and the rear right portion of bumper also got some damage. I am not sure whether this happened inside the work shop, but the body language of the workers there seemed fishy.if it belongs to some one known to you and if the workshop keeps this unknown to the owner, do pass this info..

Last edited by joecherian : 9th June 2009 at 08:05.
Old 9th June 2009, 13:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi Joe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
booster : 5200 ( Tata price is 6600)
labor : 550
Thanks for the update.

Evidently the booster change did cure the problems.

Some seal must have given way for oil to go into the booster. I am surprised that it was beyond repair.
Old 9th June 2009, 14:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi Joe,
I am surprised that it was beyond repair.
It could have been repaired (atleast as per the local mechanic whom i consulted , not sure about the authenticity of his claim, but he told he has done this stuff). But, since it was a brake system, I didn't want to take any chances.. Just to have a peace of mind while driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks