Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2009, 17:24   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

SS Traveller,

Quote:
but even those new-gen electronic (LCD display) odometers can be set back (clocked) - but that paint seal is impossible to duplicate. Clocking an odo will need that paint seal to be broken.
I'm afraid that the crooks have caught up and confirm that your statement is entirely untrue. It is absolutely possible to clock back digital odometers, without so much as even touching any paint seal. There are three broad ways of performing this task (as told to me by used car dealers). I cannot disclose the information in public, but feel free to drop me a PM. BTW, not all cars sold in India have the paint seal either.

Therefore, there is a REALISTIC possibility of the car having been used as a test drive vehicle (or internal joy rides). Remember, again, inventory accounts for the highest / 2nd highest costs for a dealer. Fat chance he is going to let a car just sit idle without contributing to the bottomline. Lets not forget the HUGE question mark over why a best-seller hatchback has been lying in the dealer godown for 1 year. This is inexplicable.

Net net, someone buying a 1 year old inventory car runs the risk of it being a test-drive car, parts car, improperly stored, flood damaged, damaged by rats (and repaired), potential paint deterioration, have atleast a years less life on some rubber parts and not benefit from any potential periodic improvements / updates by the manufacturer. Plus, he needs to ensure that the dealer changes the tyres, battery, brake oil, engine oil, wiper blades and any other parts that may be worn / damaged. Still a chance that all goes well, yet the odds aren't in the buyers favour (just like the small probability of a car that's been through 10 owners and is still clean).

The possibility of something going wrong is too wide. This guy isn't buy a new car or a used car....he is buying an "old" car! And then, when he goes to sell the car, the resale will be lower too.

Quote:
30k miles in how many years?
I should have been clearer : Engine oil. The point is : Just as you state that many have run the same brake fluid for 5 years and gotten away with it, so have others run an extended duration on engine oil. That doesn't take away from the fact that brake oil is best replaced every two years and that manufacturer-recommended maintenance schedules are outlined for solid reasons.

Quote:
There are more fools in India than heaven and earth combined , and most buyers of second-hand cars that I have personally come across look at the registration date.
Visit any dealer the next time you want to sell your car. It is the year of manufacture that will count. Each dealer as well as the informed car buyer will refer to the RC book which clearly specifies the year of manufacture. Search through the forum for many user attestations (vide actual experiences) to this fact.

Quote:
I'll take it - provided there's no damage to the car as per my checklist, and the dealer's offering 50k off (cash, not equivalent value of freebies).
Though I still wouldn't recommend a one-year dead inventory car for 50K discount, let's get real. You mean you want the dealer to knock off a net 75K (50K discount + tyres + battery + oil change + wiper blades + brake fluid etc) on a best selling hatch? If there is a dealer offering a whopping 20+% off the ex-showroom price, that ought to sound off some alarms right there. Will be tough to find a deal. And if one manages to, I still cannot recommend it for reasons already outlined.
Old 5th November 2009, 17:33   #17
BHPian

Its wise to do a detailed check up. Better dont buy as this may give you trouble at later stage.

go for maximum discount from the dealer and take everything in writing.
Old 5th November 2009, 19:29   #18
BHPian

Dear Bullfrog,
after reading the persuasive points made by GTO & SS Traveller, have taken a decision yet. You seem to have started the thread & gone quiet
Have you decided to buy the car not ?
Old 19th August 2016, 11:08   #19
BHPian

Mercedes that's been standing for 2 years

*First of all, Mods, if this is the wrong subforum please forgive me*

So i'm planning to buy a Mercedes B180 CDI that was repossessed by a bank in 2013. it's only done 3000 km.

Now the issue is, there's been a court case going on and the vehicle has finally been put back in the Bank's custody. So the car has been sitting pretty in the bank's lot for the past 2 years.

My question is, Will there be considerable added expense if i do decide to buy this car? Or will it be a ready-to-go affair? What kind of problems or issues can i expect?

The deal is really sweet, but i'd rather not invest in a money pit!
Old 19th August 2016, 11:34   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes that's been standing for 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post

My question is, Will there be considerable added expense if i do decide to buy this car? Or will it be a ready-to-go affair? What kind of problems or issues can i expect?

The deal is really sweet, but i'd rather not invest in a money pit!
Firstly, you need to check if the 3000kms on ODO are genuine. Getting a service history from Mercedes dealer would be the first step.

There definitely will be problems to resolve, it would not be a ready-to-go-affair for sure. What kind of problems there could be can only be checked by MB dealer after inception. You could also get a local garage guy to check it out incase the bank does not let you take the car to the MB dealer.

Tyres most likely would need to be changed. A 2 year service would need to be done which would include changing of oil, filters, brake discs (yes they would need to be changed as after 2 years of no use they would be badly rusted), these are just basic things I can think of which will cost you upward of a lakh approx.

My hunch is there would be a lot more that could crop up depending on how the car was stored. If it was in an enclosed covered garage you would be lucky to have less issues. If it was open, its been exposed to weather change, vandalism and rodents so it is a gamble for sure.

What price are you getting it at? Sharing that would help us advice you better.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 11:36   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

You never know but here are my thoughts. Its a relative new car with little mileage. However, if it has been standing still there are likely a few things that need taken care of, it also depends how the car was stored, but lets assume it was just put away without any special consideration.

I would drain all liquids and refresh; oil, cooling liquid, brake fluid and fuel.
You will need a new battery.
You need to check the brakes, prolonged storages can cause them to seize.
You need to check the tires, they could have become squarish and the only way to solve that is to replace.

Prolonged storage can also have a negative effect on the cars electrical systems. It depends a lot about the environment in which the car was stored, but you might find quite a bit of corrosion on various electrical connections, fuses etc. not difficult to fix, but can cause endless problems on modern cars electronics.

I have had my cars in storage for periods often up to a year. Mine were stored inside a ((heated) garage. Over the years I have seen all of the above, although never all in one go on one car. But then my cars were stored pretty well.

Recently after moving from India back to Europe I have put all my cars back on the road again. I have had several electrical problems, all due to corrosion. Also, i had to replace all tires on my Jaguar. They had become square.

Again, depending on how it was stored, you want to check the paintwork.

So, no real big problems. If you get lucky you might have no problems at all?Most others I mentioned are simple to fix and or rectify.
I suggest if possible to get somebody with some knowledge of Mercedes preferably to check out the car first.,

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 12:22   #22
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I personally wouldn't buy a German that's been standing for two years with little to no usage. Issues with battery, tyres, electricals, AC compressor, brakes etc would be expected. Please confirm if the car was actually used at regular intervals or parked.

Also i am not impressed by the B Class at all. Crashy ride quality, weak engines, uncomfortable rear seat, average driving pleasure,etc. It just doesnt give you that feeling of driving a proper Mercedes like say the C Class gives for instance.

Even at a sweet price, all the associated headaches of trouble shooting and running around for spares etc are something i would personally avoid.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 13:12   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Firstly, you need to check if the 3000kms on ODO are genuine. Getting a service history from Mercedes dealer would be the first step.

There definitely will be problems to resolve, it would not be a ready-to-go-affair for sure. What kind of problems there could be can only be checked by MB dealer after inception. You could also get a local garage guy to check it out incase the bank does not let you take the car to the MB dealer.

Tyres most likely would need to be changed. A 2 year service would need to be done which would include changing of oil, filters, brake discs (yes they would need to be changed as after 2 years of no use they would be badly rusted), these are just basic things I can think of which will cost you upward of a lakh approx.

My hunch is there would be a lot more that could crop up depending on how the car was stored. If it was in an enclosed covered garage you would be lucky to have less issues. If it was open, its been exposed to weather change, vandalism and rodents so it is a gamble for sure.

What price are you getting it at? Sharing that would help us advice you better.

So i'm getting it for about the same price as a brand new Vento. So that's about it. But if we're talking ball park 200k for repairs, i might not be so keen. We were considering getting a new Jazz but at just a few lakhs more, this seemed like a good deal. but then again, the additional costs might come into play here.

This car was, by no means, going to be my primary car. just to be used as a city runabout.
Old 19th August 2016, 13:19   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So i'm getting it for about the same price as a brand new Vento. So that's about it. But if we're talking ball park 200k for repairs, i might not be so keen.
Bear in mind that even if the purchase price is cheap for whatever reason, running costs will be on par for a Merc. Spares and so on will cost that of a Merc, not that of a Vento/Jazz. Your most recent comment makes me wonder whether you're being seduced by just the attractive purchase price, and ignoring the fact that you're actually buying a car with a value of 30+ lakhs, and the running costs of a 30+ lakh car.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 13:24   #25
Team-BHP Support

Re: Long term storage effect on new Car

I'd say first go and check the car out. See what condition its in currently. If parked in the open and exposed to the elements, I'd say walk away. If parked indoors then its worth considering. But most likely the tyres will have to be changed, the battery would be flat. Apart from that it would need a full lubricant change.
Old 19th August 2016, 14:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So i'm planning to buy a Mercedes B180 CDI that was repossessed by a bank in 2013. it's only done 3000 km.

So the car has been sitting pretty in the bank's lot for the past 2 years.
I agree with the views expressed by arunphilip. Do consider the maintenance costs of a premium car before buying a secondhand one at an attractive price.

Secondly, also consider if the car you are buying is easy to sell, if you decide so in future.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 14:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Bear in mind that even if the purchase price is cheap for whatever reason, running costs will be on par for a Merc. Spares and so on will cost that of a Merc, not that of a Vento/Jazz. Your most recent comment makes me wonder whether you're being seduced by just the attractive purchase price, and ignoring the fact that you're actually buying a car with a value of 30+ lakhs, and the running costs of a 30+ lakh car.
I am well aware of the running costs. The running costs are not much of an issue for us. As long as the product is good, we don't mind paying.
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 15:15   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am well aware of the running costs. The running costs are not much of an issue for us. As long as the product is good, we don't mind paying.
My bad - I noticed the BMW and Endeavour in your signature only now, so you'll be well aware of running costs of premium vehicles.
Old 19th August 2016, 20:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
My bad - I noticed the BMW and Endeavour in your signature only now, so you'll be well aware of running costs of premium vehicles.
LOL. Actually, it's nothing like that. My parents have always loved the B Class. Very spacious and comfy. Plus being old school, my dad has a thing for the Three pointed star. God knows how much convincing, i had to do to get the BMW.
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks