Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:13   #1
BHPian

Soda (sodium bicarbonate) Blasting

Hello,
I am searching for information on Soda blasting and it's availability in India,Would be great if Someone can share from where it can be done particularly in North India!

Have a good day!

Gill
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:29   #2
BHPian

re: Soda (sodium bicarbonate) Blasting

Bump!
Even in Bangalore will do.need to clean engine parts of motorcycle.
Old 3rd August 2011, 19:03   #3
Team-BHP Support

I've never heard of Sodablasting, so looked it up. Here's a quick description for others who are interested :

Quote:
Sodablasting is a process where sodium bicarbonate is applied against a surface using compressed air. An early use was to restore the Statue of Liberty in the late 1980s.[1]

Sodablasting is a non-destructive method for many applications in cleaning, paint stripping, automotive restoration, industrial equipment maintenance, rust removal, graffiti removal, molecular steel passivation against rust, oil removal by saponification and translocation, masonry cleaning and restoration, soot remediation, boat hull cleaning and for food processing facilities and equipment.
Source

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 17:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I've never heard of Sodablasting, so looked it up. Here's a quick description for others who are interested :

Source

cya
R
hi i am going to try and clean some carb parts with a pilot make sand blasting gun using wasing soda ,.
Old 11th July 2014, 14:34   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: Soda (sodium bicarbonate) Blasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto View Post
hi i am going to try and clean some carb parts with a pilot make sand blasting gun using wasing soda ,.
Hi Magneto,

Sounds interesting. How about some pictures of the gun, as well as before/after comparo pics of the carb?

cya
R
Old 11th July 2014, 16:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hi Magneto,

Sounds interesting. How about some pictures of the gun, as well as before/after comparo pics of the carb?

cya
R
is the gun available anywhere - even online? I am interested in removing the chrome from my ORVM's because one section is scratched to the underlying plastic. Then, once blasted, planning to have it painted in the body colour. Only if I had a gun then it would have been easy enough to remove the chrome. Depending on abrasive paper won't give as even finish as blasting.
Old 21st July 2014, 13:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
is the gun available anywhere - even online? I am interested in removing the chrome from my ORVM's because one section is scratched to the underlying plastic. Then, once blasted, planning to have it painted in the body colour. Only if I had a gun then it would have been easy enough to remove the chrome. Depending on abrasive paper won't give as even finish as blasting.
Unfortunately i do my work at my farm due to space constraint in Mumbai, so will take pictures next time i go there.
In the meantime you can check out Pilot spray painting guns. The sand blasting gun is made by the same people.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st July 2014 at 14:10. Reason: Post edited for readability. Please don't use spaces before punctuation marks. Thanks! :)
magneto is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed