Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:20   #1
BHPian

Swift ZXi - Metal Scrapping Sound - Initial

I have a swift zxi, covered 8K kms. Now for the past 2 days whenever i start the car after a halt and acclerate for movement the car moves but with a metal scapping sound. After driving for around 10-15 mins the sound seems to fade away or as it appears to me.

What could be the reason for this, any help guys..
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Get the break disc checked.
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:07   #3
Team-BHP Support

This happens when brake pads are worn, and metal scrapes against metal.But in 8K done car its extremely unlikely, so seems like some problem with brake system. I suggest you head to MASS soon, otherwise you may damage the disk itself, which can be expensive
Old 3rd June 2009, 15:20   #4
BHPian

hmm right tanveer, need to check with MASS on weekend, the car is fairly new so its very unusual. I feel it comes from the left rear end side of the car.

I am a careful driver so its even more surprising as to how this got developed in the first place.
Old 3rd June 2009, 15:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

Are you sure its coming from your wheels and not from the pulley belts?

If its wheels, check your brakes, if they are getting stuck or something.
Old 3rd June 2009, 15:37   #6
BHPian

Hmm well as far as i can observe, its from the rear left side of the car.

Will the pulley belts generate a metal scraping sound.

Also in terms of drivability i dont see any hestitation with the vehicle in terms of pulling power.
Old 9th June 2009, 11:28   #7
BHPian

Ok here is an update on the car.

I took the car to Maruti Service Center and they diagnosed it to be a noise comming from the front disc breaks. They recommended a cleanup to rectify the problem.

A running request for opened for this issue as my car is just 2 services old and has done 8K kms till date. I was told to collect the car in the evening.

In the evening i collected the car and was billed 480/- INR for the disc cleanup, which i failed to understand as i thought the workshop shouldnt charge till the 3rd free service on any issues with the running car.

But since there was no one to take this matter, i paid and collected the car and went off.

Next morning started the car as usual to go to office as voila the sound still exists.

So in total the whole exercise wasted and the money spent aswell.

Called up the service advisor and gave him a solid piece of mind, he has asked to bring the car back for another checkup.

I am going to speak with the service manager on the charges levied for the incomplete job and also why should it be a chargable job when i have the car just barely 2nd service old.

What could be the issue with the car.
As stated earlier, there is metal scrapping sound which comes when the car is started after being idle for say 30-40 mins or more. The sound goes after some driving, i dont suspect the belt as it would have been the belt it would create the sound while at idle aswell. The sound appears while driving only not when in idle.

Help Guys..
Old 9th June 2009, 12:27   #8
BHPian

I had a similar problem, when one of the metal clips that hold the brake pad in the caliper was scraping against the brake disc. maybe you could check on that.
Old 9th June 2009, 12:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Your brake pads are finished.
Replace them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist
when one of the metal clips that hold the brake pad in the caliper was scraping against the brake disc.
That is the pad wear indicator.
Old 9th June 2009, 13:01   #10
BHPian

Thanks techno will give that hint to the service guys.

Nitrous - Isnt that too early for the pads to wear.. the car has just done 8K kms, it was purchased in Feb this year. I am not a harsh or rash driver, so its hard to believe the pads have worn out soo early.

Anyways thanks will get them checked aswell.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks