Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2009, 10:23   #1
BHPian

getz odometer bulb replacement

The tiny bulb for the digital odometer of the Getz has gone off. The bulbs in the speedo and fuel indicator etc. are fine. Hyundai tells me the entire assembly has to be replaced, costing 5000 - odd rupees.
I can live without a light in the odo, but am curious if anyone has tried to replace this bulb or knows the procedure?

Last edited by filcord : 4th June 2009 at 10:25.
Old 4th June 2009, 10:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

The digital tacho is probably an LCD display, and the backlight is usually an integrated LED/OEL/Fluorescent, and cant be replaced seperately
Old 4th June 2009, 10:39   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
The tiny bulb for the digital odometer of the Getz has gone off. The bulbs in the speedo and fuel indicator etc. are fine. Hyundai tells me the entire assembly has to be replaced, costing 5000 - odd rupees.
I can live without a light in the odo, but am curious if anyone has tried to replace this bulb or knows the procedure?
Is it not under warranty. If yes I think it would be replaced free of cost
Old 4th June 2009, 11:05   #4
BHPian

warranty over unfortunately.
Old 4th June 2009, 11:45   #5
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the backlight is usually an integrated LED/OEL/
Yes, the light for the ODO is integrated into the LCD. You will have to get the whole LCD changed.
Old 4th June 2009, 15:19   #6
BHPian

No worries, you can find a similar bulb from any electronics shop. As it is, if the warranty has expired you can post-mortem the odo and easily de-solder the old bulb and solder it up with a new one.
The LCD screen and the illumination system are never integral with each other, be it an audio player, digital watch or odo.
It should work.
Old 4th June 2009, 17:49   #7
BHPian

integrated or not, what Hyundai want is that i change the entire instrument panel, speedo, fuel indicator, odo, etc. Hence the cost!Anyone has ever opened up their panel?
Old 4th June 2009, 18:28   #8
BHPian

Filcord, The entire instrument panel, speedo, fuel indicator, odo, etc. comes as a single unit and hence they are saying the same.
Got my console replaced recently under waranty as the temperature gauge was not working perfectly & the entire console (Single unit) was changed.

As ilangop said, try opening the console & see what what kind of illumination is there for LCD. if it is a small led bulb, take the console to a good electronics shop who can desolder the old bulb & solder a new one.
Old 5th June 2009, 05:09   #9
BHPian

You should certainly get it opened and checked, if there was a bulb, there should be a way to replace it.

Hyundai dealers are mostly interested in changing the entire thing, what would happen when someone engine needs repairs, some day they'll start saying REPLACE the engine.

I've done a few post-mortem of odo console of my santro, and think its very fixable for lights, I've Blue LED's in them.
check http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1293504
Old 5th June 2009, 17:16   #10
BHPian

Thanks, BTW the blue LEDs are cute!
Old 5th June 2009, 19:54   #11
BHPian

filcord don't waste your time opening it just to check. I have opened the cluster of my getz to pop in those famcy blue lights, only to find the backlighting LED's soldered onto the main board. If you want to still save on cost I suggest you take out the cluster and show it to some guy who does computer motherboard repairs. Maybe if you can source the LED's he'll do the job for you.
Old 5th June 2009, 20:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

The getz cluster has 8 LED bulbs inside,the Odometer is also powered by them,the stock bulbs cost Rs.15/- without the holder,once you open it make sure you dont loose the bulb holder cap,incase you want to change the light colour just put a giliten paper over the bulb done!!!

Ramie

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks