Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2009, 23:39   #1
Rai
BANNED

Fiat Petra 1.6 ELX - Low Mileage after Service

Hi All,

I have 2003 Model Fiat Petra 1.6 ELX Petrol, which has covered 61000 KMS as of today.
Last week I got the 60000 KMs service done by Authorised Tata Dealer in Bangalore. Along with 60000 KMs service I also got the LAMDA sensor changed to new one.
But after this service, my Mileage has become very very low. Its unbelievably 6 KMS per liter, where as I used to get 9-10 KMS in City Driving and 14.5 in Long drive. (with 100% AC on always)
My intetion of changing the Lamda sensor was to get better Mileage. I suspect that new Lamda sensor is Not at all working.
I asked the Service Center abt this, they told me that they have SCANNED after new Sensor and everything is fine.
Before going back to the service station to fix the Mileage Problem, any suggetions from your side?

Any suggetion is very much appreciated.
Regards
Rai
Old 11th June 2009, 06:27   #2
BHPian

One easy/low risk thing to be tried (and with a high probability of working) is resetting the ECU so it gets. Disconnect the battery and keep the car in that state overnight. Reconnect it in the morning and the ECU will pick up the new patterns.
On a related note, is the Lamda sensor same as the crank sensor? Black cylindrical object which fits below the engine block and the top part has a corrugated wire cover which connects to another wire near the top of the engine block?
If it was not working, your car would not be working.
Old 11th June 2009, 09:12   #3
Rai
BANNED

Fiat Petra 1.6 elx (Petrol) - Low Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
On a related note, is the Lamda sensor same as the crank sensor? Black cylindrical object which fits below the engine block and the top part has a corrugated wire cover which connects to another wire near the top of the engine block?
If it was not working, your car would not be working.
Genesis,
Thanks for your reply.
Well, Lambda Sensor aka Oxygen Sensor is connected to exhaust, where in it senses the content of Oxygen available in exhaust based on which fuel flow is controled. (Search for Lamda sensor in this forum and you will get lots of update/information).
Well, surely I will reset the ECU tonight. Meanwhile, any other replies?

Guys, think.... give me some more advice/suggetions.....Fiat is a Beautiful car. But we have meachanics here who doesn't understand the 'abc' of tuning (especially Fiat Tuning)....and just do whatever they think is right... (ofcourse...in the end they will explain that..."its like that only sir")...
Regards
Rai
Old 11th June 2009, 09:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

I too believe restting up the ECU will solve the problem. DO make it a rule to reset the ECU after every service, this will not only refreshen ECU values but will also tell ECU about the part changed theoretically.
Old 11th June 2009, 09:53   #5
BHPian

dear mr rai
please contact 0821-2333147, mr manjunath and he will do the needful.
Old 12th June 2009, 13:47   #6

Dear Rai,

Whether following symptoms are there apart from very low mileage?
  • Whether your car gives black smoke?
  • Do you find some sign of smoke on the body near exhaust? Touch it and you will know.
  • Whether the accelerator is not predictable as it was earlier?
  • Do you some times find the car sluggish?
If yes, I think, there is something wrong with Lambda sensor. When you visit the service centre, do insist to see the guy from FIAT and not TATA guy.

Regards
Old 12th June 2009, 16:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by durgesh View Post
Dear Rai,

Do you find some sign of smoke on the body near exhaust? Touch it and you will know.

Regards
is it safe to touch any part of exhaust when its hot ?
Old 12th June 2009, 22:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Try putting back your old sensor.(hope you have got back whatever parts were changed) If its working ask them to replace with another new one if at all you really want to change.
Old 13th June 2009, 17:49   #9
Rai
BANNED

Fiat Petra 1.6 Petrol - Reset of ECU

Hello All,
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am working on each suggestions.

Yesterday I did remove the Battery Connection (to Reset the ECU) for 24 hours. Today morning I reconnected the Battery and started the Car. It started like everyday. But nothing different from last time. I was thinking that it will do some type of initialization (because it is starting for first time after reset) such as RPM going up & Down couple of time, or some lights blinking!!! But nothing. It was normal start-up like everyday.

I will refill the tank and check the mileage again and update you guys the result. It may take 3 to 4 days for me to give the update. Please bear with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durgesh View Post
  • Whether your car gives black smoke?
  • Do you find some sign of smoke on the body near exhaust? Touch it and you will know.
  • Whether the accelerator is not predictable as it was earlier?
  • Do you some times find the car sluggish?
  • No Car never gave black smoke. Infact Smoke is invisible.
  • Body near the exhaust is CLEAN. No Smoke/Black color.
  • Very good Accelerator response. Even better than before. Very very quick response. Not at all sluggish. Powerful acceleration

Most Viewed