Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2009, 10:57   #1
BHPian

Palio 1.2 2003 model power response issues

I request valuable comments/suggestions from the experts here for solving a long pending issue that needs a quick closure. I purchased a Palio 1.2 ELX 2003 model which has had power response issue right from the time when it was purchased. Every time i press the throttle, the response is felt only after a few seconds, hence the overall power response of the car comes down. I had driven a PALIO of the same make and didnt find this issue. this is a major setback when it comes to sudden overtaking or even when normally trying to enjoy the sheer power of the car. Even after escalating to FIAT experts my attempts to fix the issue have turned out futile. On top of that the A.S.S for Fiat has been so frustrating that i have been living with this issue all this while.

Also offlate, I have noticed the steering wobbles at all speeds, low or high. The front right tyre seems to worn out more than the other tyres.

Please help me out in finding a permament fix for the above problems, especially the power issue.
Old 12th June 2009, 20:50   #2
HKS
BHPian

First of all, at what speed do you face this issue and your in which gear?

Secondly, if your tyres are bald, then its time to get them checked and aligned. Steering vibration is due to the alignment itself. Plaio doesn't have a alignment problem so often, yet you get it checked.

Is it an accident car by any chance? Try to find out from your mechanic by inspecting the car properly from inside and outside.

Cheers
Old 12th June 2009, 23:55   #3
BHPian

HKS,

Usually the response issue occurs on all the gears, specifically when i try to accelerate(during sudden overtaking) by shifting from 4th to 3rd, its felt more..

i remember getting the tyres aligned abt 1000 kms back...

i really dont know about the accident vehicle part, as till date the mechanics(TVS as well as TATA) havent pointed out any such findings..also i havent got the car checked by a mechanic besides TATA or TVS..

this vehicle is presently back at my home town in cochin driven by my dad but not so frequently..as i am in bangalore, I have not been able to dedicate complete attention..hence I would also look forward to suggestions on good fiat mechanics in cochin
Old 13th June 2009, 01:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

when you try to overtake, does it feel like engine is revving but with less output.

whats the reading on the oddo.

PS: Does this model have a tacho?
Old 13th June 2009, 23:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
when you try to overtake, does it feel like engine is revving but with less output.

whats the reading on the oddo.

PS: Does this model have a tacho?

SirAlec, It doesnt sound that bad as you have expressed..as i said, the issue is momentary but the impact is saddening as the Palio is not being fully utilized for its power delivery potential, especially when I havent noticed such kinda issues in other Palios of the same make...

actually the issue is prevalent in all gears..its like..shift gear, release clutch, press the pedal..wait for 50 m second-1 second and then feel the power..

the odo should be around 20k by now(not that used as it is in my native palce and my dad uses the car to the need and nothing beyond)
Old 15th June 2009, 12:13   #6
HKS
BHPian

Clutch spring issue? ehh?
The clutch isn't able to engage and disengage in time. Some issue with it as you mentioned it happens in all the gears.
Old 17th June 2009, 19:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS View Post
Clutch spring issue? ehh?
The clutch isn't able to engage and disengage in time. Some issue with it as you mentioned it happens in all the gears.
Even I suspect the clutch after reading couple of other feedbacks. I will have to get it checked by a good mechanic. I dont trust the TATA guys at Cochin where the car is currently being used. I had mentioned this issue when I had given the car for its regular service for which the mechanic tried a test drive and he never felt the issuse. That was the most pathetic response I had recieved ie outrightly denying a customer's genuine concern. So I will have to figure out an alternate mechanic.

Any suggestions from Palio owners in Cochin on a reliable mechanic besides the TATA/Sundaram guys

Most Viewed