Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2009, 21:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

M800 - Strange Thuk-Thud noise

Hi,

Want to seek the forum for help regarding a strange noise that comes from my M800. The car in question is 2 years old. The noise is a thuk - thud noise which I hear when I pull her in first gear. This is especially true, when I decelerate through the engine and pull the running car in first gear. And sometime I can hear the same noise in slow speeds while I pull through a corner in lower gears. Notice - the sound is not heard everytime I do the above routine.

This noise has been there eversince I have got the car. Have taken the car to various authorised service stations and no one has been able to diagnose the fault. Mostly whenever the car is in the service station, the mechanics even fail to replicate the sound

Otherwise, the car is running fine and has clocked around 23K kms and has given no other cause of concern.

Will look out for your responses.
Old 15th June 2009, 22:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Is it a mechanical sound or more like exhaust system sound?
Old 15th June 2009, 22:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

Have your mechs checked the engine/gear box mounts in the car? Exhaust headers if it is touching body in the front?
Old 16th June 2009, 12:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Is it a mechanical sound or more like exhaust system sound?
Its a mechanical sound.

I'll get the engine and gear box mounts checked.
Thanks
Old 16th June 2009, 14:00   #5
BHPian

- yes. But check the contents of your boot. Sometimes it is an odd item like a mug or bucket that you keep in the boot or an unsecured Stepney / jack / tools bag that is the cause.
Old 3rd July 2009, 15:39   #6
BHPian

I am not an expert in this

Could be a lower arm problem, normally it comes with a bush & if it is worn out then you could heard thud thud sound. I had this noise on my car when I used to accelerate & brake hard on an open/bad stretch.

If you hear this while taking turns, then you need to check drive shaft. If you hear the sound when turning right, then the left drive shaft can be weak & vice versa.
Old 3rd July 2009, 17:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

If lower arm is the problem then one can have some feel of irregular movement of wheels in the steering. Moreover a bad lower arm can ruin the tyres within very short time. But this is the problem ever since the car was bought. I think it might be related with suspenision if engine mounts are good.
I feel its suspension, may be the front. Apron might not be in perfect shape, but this is a long shot. If mounts are good, then suspension needs to be checked.
Old 3rd July 2009, 18:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Can you also ask your mechanic to check for a diff fault or low oil level in the gearbox.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks