Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2009, 02:43   #1
BHPian

Dual Color Door L.E.D. Lights.

hi all,
another DO-IT-Yourself itch going under my head since many days.
wanted a small light for my Santro doors, which glows when doors are opened and prevents those
cycle wala's to Bang the car door.

many ready made were not digestable for me, i remember in few foreign cars i saw some door lights
which had red and white light combo.

here iam ready with one more DIY door light, consisting
9 RED L.E.D.
9 White L.E.D.
A small PCB
and Indicator cover of WagonR (the clear one used on front fender indicators)
2 560ohm 1/2 watt resistors. (using 1 resistor per color only, cause RED L.E.D consume very less current and can easily be lit using little voltage, same is with the white ones iam using.)

Not Installed yet, will do when i make them for all 4 doors.

Pics Attached.
Name:  lens.jpg
Views: 2548
Size:  41.5 KB

Dual Color Door L.E.D. Lights.-lens2.jpg

Dual Color Door L.E.D. Lights.-18led_1.jpg

Dual Color Door L.E.D. Lights.-18led_2.jpg

Dual Color Door L.E.D. Lights.-soldered.jpg

Dual Color Door L.E.D. Lights.-red_white1.jpg

Dual Color Door L.E.D. Lights.-red_white2.jpg

Dual Color Door L.E.D. Lights.-red_white3.jpg
Old 16th June 2009, 07:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

I too was thinking about it , but was not quite sure about getting the wiring etc part right

try aiming it a bit downwards when you install it , so that it illuminates the ground - sort of like a puddle light in the new superb etc
Old 16th June 2009, 07:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

focus would help clarity. or use macro mode in your cam.
Old 16th June 2009, 10:50   #4
BHPian

@GHPK: Good one, i am also thinking to do the same in my car for all 4 doors and dickey.

For dickey, i am thinking to make a blinking kind of stuff. Your work will be inspiration and guideline for me. Please post the circuit diagram with ratings of LED's and registers.
Old 16th June 2009, 12:25   #5
BHPian

Cool. It requires lots of patience and concentration to make a cluster like this. Please make it weatherproof on soldering side as it might develop dry solders over the time (specially hostile conditions of car). Hot glue gun could be useful doing so.
Old 16th June 2009, 14:10   #6
BHPian

Thanks all for comments. I didn't expected this would be of anybody's interest, luckily you guys seems to be liking it, Thanks again

greenhorn, I think embedding a few blue L.E.D.'s on the bottom side, so when the door opens, you have blue light downwards ground, How's the idea ?

Gaondude, the pics are taken from blackberry 8330 who's camera doesn't have much customizations.

shabahmad i took a few flashers from local stores, they keep flashing and are available in 3, 4 colors, will try to make a video of it, but i think flashers would only look nice for small time, however having them in dickey is a excellent idea (so you don't get the plane crashed in when the dickey is open) they were cheap Rs.100/pair. it has a small circuit which makes it flash.

shyamhegde don't know if i'll be able to find the hot glue gun in my town, but have 2 things at my disposal to make it water-proof, silicon based adhesive, used to stick glass, and araldite. Solders are done nicely so it shouldn't get dry until water enters.
Old 16th June 2009, 14:43   #7
BHPian

how do you plan to connect this when the door opens, I believe you have to get the wire which connects the cabin light.
Old 16th June 2009, 15:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
how do you plan to connect this when the door opens, I believe you have to get the wire which connects the cabin light.
yes, I'll making use of the door switch which is already on all four doors, they are "push to off" types used for car security system.
so any door opened will complete the circuit and make all 4 glow.
Old 16th June 2009, 16:37   #9
BHPian

please make photo shots when you do this, so that it will help us to do the same setup
Old 17th June 2009, 14:25   #10
BHPian

Good idea man. Other than working as a warning light to cyclewalas, it can be act as a door open indicator flash light too. Fit an extra LED in the dash. Many a people I have seen driving with not properly shutted door. This will be a good DIY for all forgetful minds. Please post a few pix after installation.

Last edited by gaddiwale : 17th June 2009 at 14:26.
Old 17th June 2009, 15:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
yes, I'll making use of the door switch which is already on all four doors, ... make all 4 glow.
You are right partly, but it is not so simple. Most cars have a body electronics ECU (replaces a LOT of relays, for door/cabin lights, wiper, power windows, headlight minder, etc.) to which these switches are wired. One side of the switch may be either be wired to an 'enquiry' voltage coming from the ECU or to ground on one side (0V = switch closed, any other V = switch open). The ECU will misbehave if you load the power supplied as 'enquiry' voltage, which may not be enough to light your LED module

If so, you will have to additionally do the following:
1. Use a 12V coil miniature relay (PCB mounting), whose coil has to be wired to the 'cold' side of the door contact (the side that does not have any voltage when the door switch is in 'break' condition) and ground
2. Bring in 12V into the door, wire it to one side of an NO contact of the relay, with the other side wired to the + of your module (- wired to ground in the door itself)
Old 17th June 2009, 20:17   #12
BHPian

Good going.. Me keeping a watch on this.. I was planning on the xylo puddle for Santro. Don't forget pics when u do the the things.
Old 17th June 2009, 20:54   #13
BHPian

Just ask your nearest car electrician to pull a pair of wires from cabin light. Use a fuse as near as possible from that point. You can take the connection from there to all doors. Use a good quality wire and use red and black for +ve and -ve lines for easy identification.
If I were you, i would ask the electrician to do all wiring once all clusters are done. This will ensure more professional wiring as this is all round the car and not a single point.
Old 17th June 2009, 21:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Right said, @shyamhegde, that is a more pragmatic approach. You just need one wire, actually, since the lamp voltage is w.r.t. chassis ground which is kind of everywhere.
Old 17th June 2009, 21:34   #15
BHPian

Even I was thinking of doing same kind of light which I want use inside the car and also in engine bay By the way how did manage to fix a switch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks