Team-BHP - Modifications to improve Accents' Handling and Braking
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Modifications to improve Accents' Handling and Braking (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/60480-modifications-improve-accents-handling-braking.html)

Hello Team,

I have an accent and I'm very happy with the car except for the fact that I hate its handling and brakes.

My brakes squeak a lot, I've even changed the brake pads but its still the same, also its braking is very spongy and weak as compared to other cars even in the same segment. So I was wondering if there is any way I could simply swap accent's brake assembly with something else so as to improving its braking tremendously. Also would like to know what kind of cost is involved in such modifications if possible at the first place.

Second thing is its handling. The car seems as if it's ready to take off after 100 kms/hr. It doesn't inspire confidence to drive fast. I used to drive a Palio before this and its handling was very good specially on high speed. Also there is a lot of body roll during turns. I don't know what can we do to the suspension or tires so as to improve its handling.

Also is it possible to attach something to the car and improve its acceleration. Like in diesel cars there are kits available from pete's to improve cars BHP. Was wondering if there is something available for petrol cars as well?

Can anyone please suggest something in this regard along with the cost involved.

Hi,

I had the same problem in my Accent and also had posted a thread on this issue as the Hyundai Service outlet in Mumbai where I would normally take my car would never be able to resolve the braking issues, sometimes I used to feel that the Car wouldnt stop in time when needed during high speeds... the spongy effect was always there and this made me disappointed until I gave the car for a service at a Hyundai outlet in GOA which happens to be my hometown and I make it a point to get the car checked before making the trip back to Mumbai after my vacation.

Asked them if they could fix my brakes... and to my surprise they did fix them, they mentioned that they had Bled the brakes and aligned them as well .... in Mumbai the brakes were Bled too as per the technician who worked on the car but didint seem to fix it earlier.

Hence the brakes are working perfectly since last year now and they respond quickly to the push of the pedal.

As for the body roll of the Car... dont have this issue much ( Tremendously reduced ) since I changed my Tyres to Michelin XM1+

My car reaches speeds upto 150 -160 ( Max Ive dared to push her !! :) as Iam scared that she may break apart and take me to Heaven) quite smoothly.... the only thing I do is change the Engine Oil every 5K to 6K kms as time permits...just to keep her in Prime condition.

Cheers,:thumbs up

Peter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somu2009 (Post 1350632)
Hello Team,

I have an accent and I'm very happy with the car except for the fact that I hate its handling and brakes.

My brakes squeak a lot, I've even changed the brake pads but its still the same, also its braking is very spongy and weak as compared to other cars even in the same segment. So I was wondering if there is any way I could simply swap accent's brake assembly with something else so as to improving its braking tremendously. Also would like to know what kind of cost is involved in such modifications if possible at the first place.

Second thing is its handling. The car seems as if it's ready to take off after 100 kms/hr. It doesn't inspire confidence to drive fast. I used to drive a Palio before this and its handling was very good specially on high speed. Also there is a lot of body roll during turns. I don't know what can we do to the suspension or tires so as to improve its handling.

Also is it possible to attach something to the car and improve its acceleration. Like in diesel cars there are kits available from pete's to improve cars BHP. Was wondering if there is something available for petrol cars as well?

Can anyone please suggest something in this regard along with the cost involved.

Aftermarket brake-pads (EBC?), tyres (Yokohamas, Michelins, etc?) and perhaps a change of headers with a silent exhaust?

As said by Peter, try bleeding the brakes to see if the response improves.

Change to a fatter rubber which should more or less solve your handling problem. Accent does have a weak braking system and does not really inspire confidence but change to fatter Michelins XM1+ have solved that problem for me atleast to a large extent as not only handling improved, even it affected the braking to considerably on a positive note.

Finally, stick to speeds that are comfortable rather pushing it to the limits:)

get a set of tarox brake pads and rotors.i think Peter will be having it.and for handling go for koni shocks. they will improve handling,but you will have to compromise on the ride comfort.

if you are not interested in splashing a lot of money then get a strut brace, it will reduce body roll by a good margin and also improve handling, also upgrade tyres. get the brakes bled as adviced by peter and if still you are not satisfied then get steel braided brake lines and EBC brake pads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter (Post 1350743)
Hi,

Asked them if they could fix my brakes... and to my surprise they did fix them, they mentioned that they had Bled the brakes and aligned them as well .... in Mumbai the brakes were Bled too as per the technician who worked on the car but didint seem to fix it earlier.

Hence the brakes are working perfectly since last year now and they respond quickly to the push of the pedal.

As for the body roll of the Car... dont have this issue much ( Tremendously reduced ) since I changed my Tyres to Michelin XM1+

the only thing I do is change the Engine Oil every 5K to 6K kms as time permits...just to keep her in Prime condition.

Peter.

Please pardon my ignorance here Peter, but I sincerely don't know what exactly getting the brakes bled means. Kindly help. As far as the oil change is concerned even I change it exactly every 5k kms. How much do the XM1+ cost if I get 14" since I am planning to get alloy wheels as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 1350815)
As said by Peter, try bleeding the brakes to see if the response improves.

Change to a fatter rubber which should more or less solve your handling problem. Accent does have a weak braking system and does not really inspire confidence but change to fatter Michelins XM1+ have solved that problem for me atleast to a large extent as not only handling improved, even it affected the braking to considerably on a positive note.

Finally, stick to speeds that are comfortable rather pushing it to the limits:)

I don't try to push it to the limit but the problem is even at speeds like 90-100kmph I feel as if the car is not very stable on the road. Plus thanks to the excellent brakes I have, I feel even more nervous.:) Will getting 14" tires will good alloys improve the road feel to some extent?

Quote:

Originally Posted by streetracer_919 (Post 1350888)
get a set of tarox brake pads and rotors.i think Peter will be having it.and for handling go for koni shocks. they will improve handling,but you will have to compromise on the ride comfort.

Any idea how much do these cost altogether (Tarox Brake Pads + Rotors). I don't want to go for koni shocks coz I don't want to mess up the ride quality completely. As it is accent is not a very comfortable car especially at the rear. Its not bad, it does its job but there is nothing to brag about accents' ride quality. So I guess for improving handling I'll just get a front strut and if possible a rear one too. And I'll switch to fat tires with alloys I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOS Power (Post 1350945)
if you are not interested in splashing a lot of money then get a strut brace, it will reduce body roll by a good margin and also improve handling, also upgrade tyres. get the brakes bled as adviced by peter and if still you are not satisfied then get steel braided brake lines and EBC brake pads.

Thanks for your suggestion, Any idea where in New Delhi can I get good front and rear strut bars for my accent and by any chance would you happen to know the cost involved in it ? Also what exactly is braided brake line ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somu2009 (Post 1351243)
P

Any idea how much do these cost altogether (Tarox Brake Pads + Rotors). I don't want to go for koni shocks coz I don't want to mess up the ride quality completely. As it is accent is not a very comfortable car especially at the rear. Its not bad, it does its job but there is nothing to brag about accents' ride quality. So I guess for improving handling I'll just get a front strut and if possible a rear one too. And I'll switch to fat tires with alloys I think.

i think it will cost round 22500/- for the rotors and pads. someone named jerish,a teambhpian had fitted this brakes to his fiesta.
contact the number given in this site Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited

Hi. I have an Accent as well and am very happy with the car. Well braking can improve defnitely, but none the less it is still good. In terms of hig speed stability, I have quite easily reached 140-150 and still felt I could go more, but did not want to risk any higher as it was NH8 Gurgaon, and suddenly someone might run across the freeway.

But, even I am planning to upgrade to alloys and wider tires

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somu2009 (Post 1351243)
Please pardon my ignorance here Peter, but I sincerely don't know what exactly getting the brakes bled means. Kindly help. As far as the oil change is concerned even I change it exactly every 5k kms. How much do the XM1+ cost if I get 14" since I am planning to get alloy wheels as well.

Hi Somu,

Brake Bleeding is the Procedure performed on Hydraulic Brake Systems whereby the brake lines (the pipes and hoses containing the brake liquid) are purged of any Air bubbles. This is necessary because while the brake fluid is an Incompressible Liquid, air bubbles are compressible Gas and their presence in the brake system greatly reduces the Hydraulic pressure that can be developed within the system.

The Process is performed by forcing clean, bubble free brake fluid through the entire system, usually from the Master Cylinder to the Calipers of the Disc brakes, but in certain cases in the Opposite direction.

Hope this helps,

Cheers:thumbs up

Peter.

I am using 185/65R14 tyres on alloys in my Accent,and it does behave better than it used to on stock rims and tyres.
Although a Perfect oversize is 185/60/R14.I opted for latter,for slightly better ride quality and GC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher (Post 1351867)
Hi. I have an Accent as well and am very happy with the car. Well braking can improve defnitely, but none the less it is still good. In terms of hig speed stability, I have quite easily reached 140-150 and still felt I could go more, but did not want to risk any higher as it was NH8 Gurgaon, and suddenly someone might run across the freeway.

But, even I am planning to upgrade to alloys and wider tires

No doubt the car is good and and even I'm very happy with it. Only thing is in IMO these are certain attributes of the car that I would like to improve.

About the speeds you've reached on your accent, great job (I haven't gone beyond 120); but I would still suggest you don't do such high speed runs on the accent, its not a very safe car and most importantly a very light car. Plus you know how people drive on NH8 brother, even 2 and 3 wheelers are present which are by law not allowed on NH8. Its sad but true and i'm sure you know it. Be safe :).

Secondly for me handling is how the car maneuvers on both low and high speeds. A heavy car feels very much planted on the road which inspires confidence to drive which is not the case in Accent. It's a great car to drive but IMO "ON A STRAIGHT LINE". When its comes to twists and turns on high speeds it just doesn't work. If something comes in your way when you are on a very high speed and you have to maneuver your car to avoid it you'll know what I'm talking about. I drive a friend's Ikon too and it handles much better than the accent. I actually don't know how to explain this in words but like in an Ikon even when you are accelerating and on speeds over 100KMPH its feels more sure footed than the accent. And this is something I would like to change. I'm getting a strut bar and fat rubber. Hopefully this will help.

About the brakes, I am thinking of getting the rotors and the pads changed from Performance Zone. Lets see if something happens for good. I'll update you for sure with the cost and everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter (Post 1353844)
Hi Somu,

Brake Bleeding is the Procedure performed on Hydraulic Brake Systems whereby the brake lines (the pipes and hoses containing the brake liquid) are purged of any Air bubbles. This is necessary because while the brake fluid is an Incompressible Liquid, air bubbles are compressible Gas and their presence in the brake system greatly reduces the Hydraulic pressure that can be developed within the system.

The Process is performed by forcing clean, bubble free brake fluid through the entire system, usually from the Master Cylinder to the Calipers of the Disc brakes, but in certain cases in the Opposite direction.

Hope this helps,

Cheers:thumbs up

Peter.

Thanks Peter :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay4587 (Post 1353863)
I am using 185/65R14 tyres on alloys in my Accent,and it does behave better than it used to on stock rims and tyres.
Although a Perfect oversize is 185/60/R14.I opted for latter,for slightly better ride quality and GC.

Thanks Akshay. Even I am looking for 185/60/R14 and hopefully in Michelin. I'm also looking for some good alloy wheels for the car. Hopefully will get something soon.

Hi guys,

As per your recommendations today I changed my car tires and got Michelin XM 1 tubeless tires (185/65/R14) along with 14" alloy wheels. I wanted to go for 185/60/R14 but then I took Akshay's advise and did not try to mess with the ride quality too much. :)

I must say the ride quality in terms of the car being sure footed on high speeds, has certainly improved.

Now I'm just waiting for the further upgrades, the brakes, the strut bars and few other things. I believe the car should perform and handle better than what it used to do before. Will keep posting as I keep getting the stuff.

Here are some of the pics of the tires and the alloys, hope you guys would like them.

No minor changes you make will bring drastic changes to the character of accent,the brakes are very skittish and it has too much roll around corners and sometimes becomes unpredictable with sharp inputs.

Ive even tried 195 tires on accent,they improved the grip the problems with handling and braking remained.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 1355720)
No minor changes you make will bring drastic changes to the character of accent,the brakes are very skittish and it has too much roll around corners and sometimes becomes unpredictable with sharp inputs.

Ive even tried 195 tires on accent,they improved the grip the problems with handling and braking remained.

I agree Anshuman that just alloys and rubber won't bring in drastic changes. And most importantly it won't do anything radical to the handling and brakes. I did that because Accent's stock tires are too skinny to provide any grip, leave alone providing confidence to drive fast :)

I have just started my upgrade process with alloys and tires. After this as recommended by Streetracer 919, I am gonna get Tarox brake pads and rotors. I am still in the process of getting the best price for the same, but I am assuming they will be between 20k - 25k.

Once I am done with the brakes, then I am ordering both front and rear strut bars for the car. I don't know so far how much it will cost me, but this week I will check with a couple of performance tune up stores in Delhi. If strut bars also don't help then I'll even consider getting pair of sports suspension. But that's for later because I don't want to mess with the ride quality too much.

So basically I'm not limiting myself to just minor changes. In fact I am going overboard with this modification thing. After all this I'm pretty sure my ride quality, handling and braking will certainly improve to a certain acceptable level. Or at least I hope so. :)

I also think that my car will behave much better on sharp inputs or around the corner, at least better than the stock accent. Will keep you updated on the gradual modifications.