Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2009, 19:05   #1
BHPian

Tips to drive better: But are the tips correct?

Today at our office we had this email circulated. It was done with an intention to make people aware of simple things that can increase their car’s mileage, in turn reduce the fuel consumption, in turn the impact on this environment. Its part of the “GO GREEN” campaign. All for good.

There are 2 points in the mailer that I know are not correct, I would like reply back to the concerned department / person who prepared this so that they could send a 'corrected' mailer across.

Now, I would like to have some solid facts to go along with my mail, may be a couple of links that I can point out as reference. Here is where I would need your help. PLz do pitch in

Tips to drive better: But are the tips correct?-tips.jpg

Here is my take.

* If you ride around in crowded street with clucth depressed, and if some one jumps in front, and you break a bit late. BHAM, you crash, isnt it? Where as if you had the clutch engaged, there would be some amount of engine braking, so your pressing brake adds on to that, better/faster chances to slow down.

And I feel majority of the people driving in the city use more clutch than needed to negotiate the bumper-to-bumper traffic. Isn’t it also true that when you accelarate and declutch then there is some unburnt fuel. Does that mean more the pollution or would that mean less carbon in the air, cuz the fuel vapours escape out?

* The next point, avoiding 1st gear to start the car from stand-still, which is entirely wrong, isn’t it? After all the car needs all the power to get off that inertia. Starting off in second gear could strain all the cars mechanicals, more over, higher the gear, you need more rpm to get the car moving, so that would mean more fuel burnt. No saving. Correct?

Any more points?? Facts??
Old 19th June 2009, 19:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Using clutch in crowded places to save fuel. What a Joke

Using clutch more often not only uses additional fuel but fries the clutch faster and also you end up replacing the brakes faster.

Starting the car in 2nd or 3rd gear is sureshot way of frying the clutch early and you end up with huge clutch replacement bill. who the hell came up with such brilliant innovative ideas. Hats of to that person.
Old 19th June 2009, 19:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Does engine braking consume fuel? I thought that the more throttle you give, the more fuel goes in. By that logic, engine braking where no throttle is given should result in no more fuel consumed than idling right?
Old 19th June 2009, 19:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post

Starting the car in 2nd or 3rd gear is sureshot way of frying the clutch early and you end up with huge clutch replacement bill. who the hell came up with such brilliant innovative ideas. Hats of to that person.
and what if you happen to own a skoda !
Old 19th June 2009, 19:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Both the points mentioned above have been discussed in detail in specific threads here. (Will dig them out)
Such chain emails etc should be stopped as they cause a lot of harm!
Old 19th June 2009, 21:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure this email was not dated 1st April?

Seriously, I think both the points are utterly wrong. Driving with the clutch depressed? Then why not engage neutral after gaining good momentum on the high way? We can save even more fuel.

Last edited by Gansan : 19th June 2009 at 21:51.
Old 20th June 2009, 02:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

These "guidelines" are written by a clutch manufacturer. Don't believe the stuff which you've just quoted.
Old 20th June 2009, 02:29   #8
BHPian

Starting the car in 2nd or 3rd gear will have at least two ill effects:
a) It will lug the engine - ie the vehicle will move with short jerks because of inappropriate gear for the low speed. This will harm the engine and definitely lower fuel efficiency
b) It will wear out the clutch much faster since you will have to hold onto the clutch longer and release the clutch slowly when you start in 2nd gear.

Irresponsible advice has been circulated.
Old 20th June 2009, 08:10   #9
BANNED

you will come across a lot of such emails,regarding,health,smoking,drinking habits,and of course automobiles.such type of emails are generated taking some highly common practices and then proving that these were wrong,or were causing more harm then good(of course it uses some self made facts or research).lot of time emails will claim that * according to latest research in such n such university or something,however i have hardly seen any website links attached therewith(obvious reasons the creator of email would not like to be sued by some giant corporation hence no links. Its just another stunt to overload networks.

refer owners manual for correct procedure of handling the vehicle,a manufacturer spends lot of money in establishing correct procedure for its vehicle,after all he will have to serve warranty claims.isnt it!
Old 20th June 2009, 22:37   #10
BHPian

I shall send out a reply on Monday, shall keep you guys posted on it. This was circulated within our organization.

@BenjiRoss: Thanks for offering to direct me to threads where this is discussed.
Old 22nd June 2009, 12:14   #11
BHPian

Links

There are a bunch of threads on this. Found them here. (What to save: clutch and brakes or fuel?)

Last edited by Spinnerr : 22nd June 2009 at 12:16.
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:00   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Good God! Which goofy, incompetent back-office idiot wrote that? Unless, of course, your company manufactures clutch plates for a variety of vehicles! Thank God they didn't recommend that you drive around on 3rd gear for ever...

The other points are fine, though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks