Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:22   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The entire fuel system is electronic. Hence the ECU, fuel pump, injectors are all dead,
With a low battery you can get away with a push start but with a flat battery there is no way.
Thanks sir, that's very well explained.
Old 23rd June 2009, 17:25   #17
BHPian

Well I remember starting a CIVIC Dhakka start way... Worked out fine for me...
Old 23rd June 2009, 17:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
With a completely flat battery (when even the ignition lamp on the dash barely glows), no petrol car will start - MPFi OR carburetted. That's because there's no current to produce a spark at the plug. No spark, no start.

Sprak in the spark plug is not produced due to current from the battery , the spark plug draws electricty from the alternater(via the ignition coil). Secondly the battery in a carb car just needs to power the fuel pump and the self during start and the car should start.
Old 23rd June 2009, 19:13   #19
BHPian

thank you all for your inputs, its the jumper wire for me in the boot of the swift
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:55   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Sprak in the spark plug is not produced due to current from the battery , the spark plug draws electricty from the alternater(via the ignition coil). Secondly the battery in a carb car just needs to power the fuel pump and the self during start and the car should start.
Are you serious? An engine being started produces its own electricity from the alternator WHILE it is being cranked???

And in a carb'd car, if you connect the fuel pump and self-starter externally to a battery source (without connecting the ignition coil/distributor) then the car should start?

No offence, but please get your auto electrics fundamentals re-examined...
Old 23rd June 2009, 23:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk2kin View Post
...Tried doing “Dhaka start”, which was not help, finally had to call for a mechanic....
If you had read the car manual, you would not have even bothered with this. The cars we buy these days are much more advanced than the Premiers and Ambys of recent memory. Even though it is not exactly a pageturner, the manual should be read from cover to cover. My first MPFI car was a M800 and I remember reading the manual and having to adjust my driving style. The fact that you did not have to pull a choke to cold start took me a few days to get over.
Old 24th June 2009, 02:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
so any DIY trick when stranded?
Either get a new battery of take membership from RACE or similar breakdown service, who might come to rescue when needed simple
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:02   #23
BHPian

sorry for going off-topic, if a battery is totally dead (nothing works), one need to do a jump start.

My question is if I let the alternator do the battery charging after the jump start, how long do I need to run the car for my battery to be charged?
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:26   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
sorry for going off-topic, if a battery is totally dead (nothing works), one need to do a jump start.

My question is if I let the alternator do the battery charging after the jump start, how long do I need to run the car for my battery to be charged?
Let me give a personal example. Once while driving to Gwalior from Kanpur my alternator failed at Etawah, about 110 km short. It was after sunset and I drove to Gwalior in my Padmini 1100 (with a 38A alternator). The next morning I could not start the car - no juice. I push started it, and then got the alternator fixed (worn brushes in a one year old car). I then drove around for about 5-10km and could then start the engine with the starter. I had an ammeter and found the car was on the highway for quite some time (about 1-1/2 hours) before the current dropped to near zero.
Old 3rd July 2009, 16:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post

If the battery is otherwise Ok, in good condition and is accepting charge from the alternator, a run of about half an hour to forty five minutes (in the day time without lights on) should do the job. It has worked for me in my 800 !
Old 27th May 2011, 14:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift VXI : Flat battery. Push start didn't work?

I had a low battery in my Elantra CRDI, but could push start it. I was reluctant to do it since the manual states in Bold that "No Push Starting". Would like to know why this warning and what is probable damage it can do to the vehicle.
Old 27th May 2011, 14:42   #27
BANNED

So if by chance the battery connections of your car come off while you are driving.

Its bye bye engine?
Old 27th May 2011, 15:01   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I had a low battery in my Elantra CRDI, but could push start it. I was reluctant to do it since the manual states in Bold that "No Push Starting". Would like to know why this warning and what is probable damage it can do to the vehicle.
Another thing, more than the engine, it will damage the mounts, gear box, drive line etc Since diesel engines offers great resistance??

Crdi engine, fuelling etc is controlled by ECU which requires battery, so engine can get damaged trying to turn without any fuelling control? Especially if it has a rubber timing belt.

But i have to admit i have done this in my DDiS when it stalled accidentally once or twice and survived Only difference battery was intact, oh and its chain driven. NOT advised to try out!
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 18:51   #29
BHPian

I had faced this issue with my 2005 Indica v2 (diesel). An Autocop central locking system faulty motherboard caused the battery to dry completely, there was no sign of life at all and the car failed to push start. I had to call a mechanic who connected spare battery and it did the trick.
It happened with me few times as I was not aware about the faulty motherboard of the autocop and everytime it drained the battery, I had to call the mechanic to start the car by connecting spare battery.
Old 28th May 2011, 14:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk2kin View Post
Was off to Nasik last weekend and while we left the car with driver for a 4-5 hours, on our return the driver tried to start the car and it won’t start? On probing him, we found out that he was sleeping on the car with the music on and also the a/c blower, which lead the battery to go dry.

Tried doing “Dhaka start”, which was not help, finally had to call for a mechanic. The mechanic came with a service battery and jumper wire, that did the trick!

My question is, do all the newer cars, do not start in the 2nd gear? ( Dhaka Start)? Or am I missing anything here?

The Mech. told us that all the newer car's will not start the old fashioned way? is that true? has anyone faced such issue in the past?
I also had identical experience with our Xylo E8 ABS (Nov 2009).
We had gone to Shrishail near Hyderabad in Feb-Mar 2010.
We had a halt there for one night in Dharmshala.
Our driver slept in the car with Blower ON.
Next Afternoon while starting the car, we came to know that the Battery has gone dead. The Ignition Coil was glowing very dim. Still we tried to Start the car but in vain. Then we tried to Push Start but the Starter could not start the car even when the car was running at 30-40 kph with 2nd gear engaged (typo error please correct).
Then we called local garage mechanic who brought a spare battery. But even with the Spare Battery connected the car did not start. Then while holding the spare battery (since the spare battery would have fallen) we push started the car and the car started.

Can anyone please tell me how the car started on push start that too with spare battery connected?

Also when the car had run for about 50-60 kms on highway (with AC and Stereo ON), the White Band was still present on the Battery (which probably should have turned Green in such distance running).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks