Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:30   #1
BANNED

Santro Fuel Gauge playing up

My Santro is four years old with 30,000km on the clock.

Yesterday I found a strange problem with the fuel gauge. It was showing the fuel level as 3/4 and swinging down to as low as 1/4. This was at night with the lights on. I do not suspect the charging/battery circuit since the Voltage looked stable (no dimming of lights). This morning when driving to work I found the gauge stable at about 3/4. My wife had also complained of an erratic gauge in the past.

What could be the cause, considering that the problem has only occurred with the lights on.
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:33   #2
BHPian

This might be an issue with fuel pump as the fuel gauge is linked to the fuel pump. I have this problem in my Matiz as well (even after changing the fuel pump). I would recommend that you get it checked with your workshop.
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:41   #3
BHPian

Its probably just a loose wire somewhere - or the sensor unit in the tank is acting up.
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have the same issue in my Alto. When it shows 1/4 actually the car is running on reserve fuel.
Old 23rd June 2009, 13:54   #5
BHPian

I am facing it in my XETA as well. The fuel gauge almost always shows 3/4th tank. Otherwise the needle rests at 0. Thankfully, I have the habit of refuelling every 350 kms.
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:21   #6
BHPian

Its a problem with In-Tank Float which tells the level to the meter console.
Get it checked at any electrician or at H.A.S.S.
Hyundai service would although may not repair the unit but will ask to get it replaced, outside mechanics may repair it, if possible.
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:26   #7
BANNED

Thanks folks.

@abibh, @abdriver2000: the problem is different from yours, namely the reading is oscillating. I am inclined to go with @ghpk. Will get it checked out at the next service in about a month and a half. I will rather get the sensor unit replaced than repaired.

However, misbehaving only at night still foxes me.
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:42   #8
BHPian

As I said that I am facing this issue with my Matiz. This couldn't't be fixed on a stand-alone basis as it is integrated with the fuel pump. However, I do remember that my mechanic did tell me that it is far simpler in other cars sush as Maruti.

So, if the problem is just with the float and if it can be changed, then its a simple one and shouldn't take much time and effort. Check it out and let us know.
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
As I said that I am facing this issue with my Matiz. This couldn't't be fixed on a stand-alone basis as it is integrated with the fuel pump. However, I do remember that my mechanic did tell me that it is far simpler in other cars sush as Maruti.

So, if the problem is just with the float and if it can be changed, then its a simple one and shouldn't take much time and effort. Check it out and let us know.
It may be simpler in the older Marutis but I have a feeling that they have only one sensor in the tank instead of two. So what happens is that the fuel guage reads more while climbing an incline and less while going down on one, depending on where in the fuel tank the sensor is placed. It also happens when the road is slanted to the left or the right. The newer Maruti's may be using more than one sensor as it does not happen with my newer Omni.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:20   #10
BHPian

Only in first 50 kms.

I have the same problem with my Santro, but only during the first 50 or so kilometers.

I fill the tank to first auto-cutoff. After about 30 or 50 kms, the fuel gauge reduces from F to the right most mark of the dial in an ordinary manner. After that the fuel-gauge behaves very erratically, frequently reducing all the way to empty, climbing back up to the Full mark and then going back down to empty.

When idling, the fuel gauge remains stationary at whichever position it has reached, but when the car is moving, it then starts moving down or up. After about 100km (near 3/4 mark), the fuel gauge starts behaving sanely and then tracks the actual fuel remaining in the tank.

Any ideas on what I should be getting the H.A.S.S (Modi Hyundai, Malad (W), Mumbai) to check?
Old 25th May 2010, 15:23   #11
BHPian

Its the fuel gauge sensor in the fuel tank most probably,
get it checked at H.A.S.S. they should be able to clean the sensor or replace if needed.
Old 31st May 2010, 14:50   #12
BHPian

Slightly OT, but in our Santro GLS LPG, the LPG gauge (the LED's system) never seems stable for long enough. The last LED was blinking indicating its close to empty, however when we filled up, only 17 lts went in, tank capacity is 27. Has anyone else faced this issue? Now I am looking for digital LPG fuel gauge, hopefully a more accurate and reliable one. The LED gauge is just never accurate.

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks