Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2006, 18:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude
Hi Guys Nippon has launched GPS in India.
I saw their ad in Auto Car India , had a words with somebody Mr Sachin,
here is the summed up points.
1) Price 37,900 less discount 2000 so 36k
2) It includes Pocket Pc
3) This Pocket PC doesnt work as a mobile (biggest Drawback)
4) This software will not work on any other Pocket Pc, so if u want to enjoy this u have to purchase a complete package
5) But yes it plays music n all so atleast u can connet with ur audio while driving
6) This doesnt have camera feature ofcourse
7) he said probably at later satge they will upgrade to the model where it will work as a mobile too, He is coming tommorow to show me a demo so reviews tommorow
here is the clipping

Wadhwa Ajay
www.paulindia.com
That is a Mitac Mio 168 Pocket PC. Last week a supermarket in the UK was knocking these out with satnav software for £130.00 (approx RS 10,400). I would love to know satnav software they are using to justify such a high price. The thing with the Mitac clones is that they apparently have no backup battery.

I have a simple Garmin i3 unit. It cost less than the equivalent of RS8,000. It works well in the UK. I have uploaded speed cameras as points of interest.

It would be fantastic if such a system was available for Indian roads.

One thing I must warn you guys about. In the UK thieves now look out for GPS mounts in car windows and break in to steal the units (assuming it is in the glovebox). I always take my unit out and never leave the mount stuck on the screen.
Old 22nd January 2006, 12:44   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Big cities (Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore) are already mapped. IMHO, the smaller cities will only be mapped when we Indian professionals take charge and do it ourselves. Just my opinion.
@ Ram - Thanks for the info. I meant the supporting services in India. Like you have mentioned above, "certain professionals have to take charge" and map atleast the major towns.
Old 23rd January 2006, 13:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

guys,
google earth can be used for GPS tracking, however i have not used it yet (requires PRO edition i guess).

and i have put my USB GPS adapter on sale since i am not using it.

check the market place section. :-)
Old 26th September 2006, 22:31   #34

i bought a holux GPS unit and delhi map from www.itemsofdesire.com ... So far very satisfied with the reciever and the map ... better than anything before!

Most Viewed