Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2005, 14:27   #1
Team-BHP Support

GPS anyone?

Hi guys, do any of you use GPS to navigate. I currently use compass and map. Since you can get a basic GPS with 500 waypoint capability for as low as 3000rs, i was wondering wether to get one. Anyone actually use one in car. How useful is it. Also there are GPS systems where you can download maps into the unit. Anyone got such a unit or used it. Do we get GPS maps of indian cities? The basic units do not have a map display but they can show an arrow pointing towards your destination from a stored map. Anyone use that?
Old 16th June 2005, 14:39   #2
Team-BHP Support

I presume you're either interested in trekking or a serious offroader! In that case, a GPS would be invaluable to you.

Driving on regular highways however, it has limited use. The best you could do is track your location and create new maps wherever you go my manually inserting points. Also the trackback facitility would prove useful at times I would imagine.

Last edited by Rtech : 16th June 2005 at 14:46.
Old 16th June 2005, 15:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

i was going to buy a PalmOne GPS reciever ...but i ended up buying too much beer...

they come with a complete CD pack ( which would load the receiver with maps and roadways in north america) and you can download maps directly on your system including indian maps ... infact in inia it gives an accuracy of 10-20 feet which is pretty good ...

i didnt know basic GPS came that cheap man ..3000 bucks is like nothing man , i used on of those once when we went fishing it show coordinates and the direction you are headed ..

cheapest one i have seen is a black and white display costs around 350 can $...the one i wanted would have costed me almost 600 bucks after tax man ...

but its a wicked gadget to have eh ...
Old 16th June 2005, 17:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Is there a GPS in the 3k range which has a distance finder and speedo capability? To use as a marker for quarter mile runs?
Old 16th June 2005, 17:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

Cheapest I've seen are about 10,000 onwards. Unless we talking about used pieces off ebay?
Old 16th June 2005, 17:33   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I use a plain 40 buck compass when off-roading. Havent let me down till date. But we always carry a backup in case it gets lost or something.

GTO
Old 16th June 2005, 18:05   #7
Suryam

I had one Magellan GPS device -- got it from friend in US. It has maps for US and other places and no maps for India. But it can locate major cities in India. I bought for doing some R&D work in Linux machine.

Still it was quite useful, when I went for long trip from B'lore to Visakhapatnam(via Chittoor,Chandragiri,Nayuduptet,Vijiawada) alongwith my family and Brother family. In forward journey (which is day time), there was a construction in Bypass-Road near bypass of tirupati town (... Chandragiri -Tiruptai - Kalahasti.... Nayudupeta[NH5] ) and one had to take a side strech at a bridge that was being constructed(No sign boards abviously!!). This side stretch is not obvious. In daytime it was easy (with the help of village folks) to reconnected main road after bridge. Finally I reached Nayudupet and took food at one veg-restaurent(which is good for that small city).

In return journey, the time was 11 PM and with this tool I could identify this bridge area and could feel safety about to cross the strech. Ofcourse we don't entered in that side stretch(it bypassed Tirupati) as we planned to stay in Tirupati(with the help of my brother we went to Tirupati)

Apart from that while leaving NH5 and going to Nayudupet, there were also lots of connecting roads Nayudupet. Our plan is to take dinner at the same Hotel that we took on onward journey. Accidentally we diverted to wrong road from NH5 before reaching the Nayudupet. But From Waypoint log I can see we are going parallel to NH5 and Can also see where the hotel is located(The time is around 10.30 PM). So finally we reached the hotel, very easily without much fuss.

Again it depends upon what you want from this tool and how you can utilize. But if we are trying to see the city maps in India, may be we have to wait for some time.

Old 17th June 2005, 10:37   #8
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for your replies people.
Firstly on the cost, a black and white basic retails for 90$ in US, and colored display fancy ones can go as high as 500$. Basic map display ones are about 150-200$.
My main purpose is to navigate cities. For example i have a waypoint for CP in delhi. Just by looking at the pointer i can drive in the general direction of CP. This way late at night danger of getting lost is removed. Of course if there is a map available it will be great.
Suryam, where did you get locations of major indian cities. Did it come with the unit? Some more details please
Old 17th June 2005, 11:36   #9
BHPian

well i own a garmin vista c gps .. which has been of immence help whenever i have trekked & travelled off road... it has also helped me whenever i have been to a new city (metro) i have loaded all the city maps in it from the dealer in mumbai
Old 17th June 2005, 12:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

So far I was thinking Indian maps are unavailable. I can get a decent GPS for $250 to work with my PocketPC. Can somebdody please throw some light how to get Indian maps.
Old 17th June 2005, 12:10   #11
Team-BHP Support

How much!? Which dealer? Were the maps free?
Old 17th June 2005, 12:11   #12
BHPian

satish get in touch with aerial services mumbai, they are the dealers for garmin..
Old 17th June 2005, 12:13   #13
BHPian

nope they officially charge 6k per city (for the maps).. the dealer is located at hanger no1 juhu airport mumbai
Old 17th June 2005, 12:41   #14
Suryam

My Unit has memory of India boundaries and all major cities(like B'lore, Chennai, Vijiawada and Visakhapatnam,etc).

I also use the device to tackle oneway routes in B'lore-- till I get familiar with that route.

Old 14th December 2005, 23:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanket12
nope they officially charge 6k per city (for the maps).. the dealer is located at hanger no1 juhu airport mumbai
6k per city? there is no application in mobile where we can use gps ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks