Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2009, 15:54   #1
BHPian

Ikon peculiar electrical problem - Help!

Hello! I have a peculiar electrical problem in my Ikon 1.6. Whenever I turn on AC for a long time in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Only one horn works. But if I can maintain enough speed for air to cool the engine, both horns works again. This keeps repeating without fail. This also happens when I am stuck in traffic with the AC on. It seems the one horn stops working whenever car/engine becomes hot and works again when it cools down. Been like this for about a year now.

When AC is not used. Both horns works perfectly at all times.

What may be the issue here? Will appreciate greatly if someone could shed some light.
Old 4th July 2009, 20:58   #2
BHPian

Kyanmantis,
This could be a problem with the horn relay or could be because of dry or rusted electrical contacts or connection on the horn or horn line. You can suspect the battery,but I would ask you not to worry over that now. Check these and also ask a auto electrician to fine tune your horn. This should work. The reaosn being rusted, dry or loose contacts demand more power.
Old 4th July 2009, 21:55   #3
BANNED

Well it definitely is nature of horn coil problem.Horns are known not to work after long exposure in high temp. environment .First check which horn is working L or H .Then get the faulty replaced.
Old 4th July 2009, 22:20   #4
BHPian

You can also try relocating the Horn to a different location where its not facing direct hot air from radiator Fan.
Old 4th July 2009, 22:42   #5
BHPian

One Horn works right ?

Be Happy and Stop Worrying.
Old 6th July 2009, 10:35   #6
BHPian

Thanks all! I will check the horns & wires. Maybe replace them if necessary. Battery is only a year old and working perfectly. Yo, one horn works, but you should hear it. Its downright embarassing .

I should have checked this post earlier . Went to mechanic yesterday to fix the window washer that got clogged. Well, coming sunday it is.
Old 6th July 2009, 14:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its related to wiring or relay. I had the same problem with my car.
Old 7th July 2009, 01:51   #8
BHPian

Common problem Mostly where you don't have a Relay and use stock wiring to power both horns,
Get a Relay installed and the problem should dis-appear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks