Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2009, 20:54   #1
BHPian

Spots on Car top due to leakage in basement parking

I park my car in the basement parking of my apartment. For last one month, there is lot of leakage in the basement parking and slaked water dropping is falling on my car top resulting in lot of spots or marking. I tried removing it with car shampoo but it didn't worked.
Checked with workshop and they are saying that I have to get it painted. It will cost a lot. Attached are some pics showing marking/spots on my car.
Can anybody help/advise on how to remove it.
Attached Thumbnails
Spots on Car top due to leakage in basement parking-image166.jpg  

Spots on Car top due to leakage in basement parking-image167.jpg  

Old 6th July 2009, 21:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Youc an try a rubbing compund but it seems it has penetrated your clearcoat paint and hence will fade away slowly over time.

Unless you want to paint, which I won't recommend for this.
Old 6th July 2009, 21:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay.pillai View Post
I park my car in the basement parking of my apartment. For last one month, there is lot of leakage in the basement parking and slaked water dropping is falling on my car top resulting in lot of spots or marking. I tried removing it with car shampoo but it didn't worked.
Checked with workshop and they are saying that I have to get it painted. It will cost a lot. Attached are some pics showing marking/spots on my car.
Can anybody help/advise on how to remove it.
Couple of things that come to mind. Not sure if they will work.

1) Can you try rubbing some shaving cream on a small corner of the spot with a damp cloth. Don't go beyond one square inch as I am not sure the effect on paint. This might help remove the water marks. Mild vinegar might also work.

2) The 'sledgehammer' option could be a little sheenlac thinner on a cloth. Again, try this on a corner and see if it works without spoiling the paint. I have used this option to remove paint marks and it worked fine!
Old 6th July 2009, 21:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Get your car polished. Will cost you a max of Rs. 2000 and your car should be as good as new...
Old 6th July 2009, 21:45   #5

your car color seems to be non metallic which should be easier to fix.
had spots bigger than those on my white color tucson last month.
mix about 100ml non-fruit vinegar along with freshly squeezed lemon juice(one lemon). wipe off slowly with absorbent paper napkins.
hope it works for you too.
wishlist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2009, 22:12   #6
BHPian

Have you tried with "Formula 1 - scratch out" - rubbing liquid ? You can try the scratch out cream as well, it is pretty effective. Dont know "checmically" what is the status on your paint, but its wirth giving this a shot. I know this liquid has something to do with deoxidizing as well... that may help.
Do let us know.
Old 6th July 2009, 22:46   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Unfortunately, for basement ceiling drip-marks, the spots are permanent - being carbonic acid from the moist limestone. No amount of rubbing/compounds/polishing will make it vanish. Only a repaint of the area will do.
Old 6th July 2009, 23:13   #8
BHPian

Try squeezing a fresh lime on the marks. Leave it for a couple of minutes and wipe it with a soft cloth. It might work!

I faced the same problem in my office basement parking. There were some white drip marks on the roof and I tried removing it with car shampoo and rubbing compound but to no avail. Then out of the blue got the idea of squeezing a fresh lime on the liquid on the marks and then rubbed it lightly with a soft cloth. Behold, the scars disappeared like they were never there in the first place :-)

Last edited by Maibaa : 6th July 2009 at 23:17.
Maibaa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2009, 23:16   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting. I'm trying the lime juice concept tomorrow on 2 ugly drip marks on my bonnet.
Old 6th July 2009, 23:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Interesting. I'm trying the lime juice concept tomorrow on 2 ugly drip marks on my bonnet.
I am sure it should work. Let us know the results.
Old 6th July 2009, 23:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, for basement ceiling drip-marks, the spots are permanent - being carbonic acid from the moist limestone. No amount of rubbing/compounds/polishing will make it vanish. Only a repaint of the area will do.
+1.
My seven year old WagonR suffered this and the scars are still on her head- though it has thinned now. Tried so many polish/wax etc. I found the problem was acute when the building (whitewash/paint) was new and it dripped from joints. Now as the building itself is over eight years old and previous rains have washed away the lime in the paint- it is no more scarring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Try squeezing fresh lime juice on the marks. It might work!
Looks like a brilliant idea. Will try tomorrow.

Thanks much,
-BJ
Old 7th July 2009, 00:13   #12
BHPian

So many ideas. Thanks to everyone.
I will definitely try ideas mentioned here starting from home remedies to wax till it goes off. If nothing working, I have to go to Service guy as mentioned by theMAG which I don't want to. I will definitely keep everyone posted by putting an update on this thread.
Old 7th July 2009, 09:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

I got a drip mark on the bonnet of my civic from office basement. The same day I saw it I used the top cut compound from Compaint and it took care to remove the mark. I guess it worked because I was quick enough to do it the same day. Dont knopw whether it works after a few days.

Any ways top cut is only Rs 45/-. it may be worth a try.
Old 7th July 2009, 10:14   #14
BHPian

well my palio s10 had strange white colour marks over a lot of the parts on the body , I used a wet sand paper and scrubbed it , it would make to surface abbrasive and loose lusture . Then i gave it to car shine thane , they used rubing compound polish , followed by several treatments. Result car back to shining best , would post after and before pictutes by this weekend on my tread .

Total cost -

Sand Paper 2 sheets - Rs.20
Waxpol Rubing compound - Rs.45
Car Care Treatment - Rs.1500

PLease be careful with the sand papare, first soak your car surface with water and then use a "feather" hand to run the wet sand paper .
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...end-lives.html
Old 7th July 2009, 10:24   #15
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The lime juice concept should work. I had tried this earlier on my white car and a few dark spots on the left fender did disappear.

Most Viewed