Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2004, 04:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hey, amitoj the button on the gearknob of an automatic transmission is not a clutch. Its just a safety device which prevents pple from shifting into 'harmful' gear by accident. You can shift from Reverse to Drive without pressing the button. also from D to N and D to the lower gears and back.
Old 19th November 2004, 12:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for clearing that up, Deeps. Now this automate thingy seems hardly worth the money..... and hardly worth any further thought!
Old 21st November 2004, 23:45   #18

The main advantage of this auto-mate thing is that it presses the clutch automatically when engine is about to stall (while you are slowing down.)

Never used it. But read somewhere.

Old 18th December 2004, 19:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

First hand experience with Automate

Hi,

I had it fitted it in my Indica diesel.

>The main advantage of this auto-mate thing is that it presses the clutch automatically when engine is about to stall (while you are >slowing down.)

This it does not do at least in my case. The brake has an additional control. So as long as you press the brake, the clutch is activated and so even if the car is stopped, it won't stall in ant gear, you can just change the gear and step on the accelerator and go.

But though there is a RPM sensor, the clutch gets activated even if you press the brake to slow down and that is not a safe option when you are travelling fast.

In the Indica, the cluch goes up and down when the clutch is activated by the switch or by the brake. This does not happen in the Zen (where I saw a demo) and in the Zen the normal clutch can be used in parallel.

The advantages of the system is that there is no modification in the vehicle and it is fitted as a parallel system. It does not hamper fuel efficiency. It can be shifted from vehicle to vehicle with very little extra cost.

For cable operated clutches, the cost is in the 25 - 26 region. Would be a little more expensive for hydraulic clutch eqipped vehicles.

My conversion was done in Coimbatore. Currently it is lying idle as I had it removed when I sold my Indica. Would get it fixed into my Versa shortly.

Rajesh
Old 17th June 2005, 22:11   #20

Auto Clutch???

Guys Came Across An Advertisement , Which Says Convert Your Existing Manual Transmission Vehicle To Semi Automatic

That Is Shift The Gears Without The Clutch.

How Good Is It?/

What Is The Effect On Fe ??

Amit
Old 18th June 2005, 00:26   #21
BHPian

yeah, have seen that advertisment for a long time in overdrive but havent come across anyone who has installed this system on their car.......if someone has then please share their experience with us!!!
Old 18th June 2005, 01:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

yeah ive seen the ad too and have tried to call them but no answer. a friend did manage to call them and told me that they add a lot of handles and levers like the ones they use for a handcap car...dunno if thats the right info tough. but seems interesting
Old 18th June 2005, 09:21   #23
BHPian

I have driven a car with this semi-auto clutch. Basically what they have done is put a stepper motor which will engage or disengage the clutch. Then there is this microprocessor circuit which tells the motor to press the clutch when it senses the driver trying to change gear or when the brakes are pressed and teh speed of the car drops to below 1k rpm. similarly it disengages the clutch slowly.

There is a small red switch fixed on the gear shifter knob which will turn on or off this mechanism. You can always override this system and use the clutch manually in case of emergencies.

I tested it out on a cielo. It was a long time back and i dont remember the driving experience properly. But the operation of the mechanism was smooth enough.
Old 11th August 2005, 15:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

I used it

I have installed this AutoClutch in my car Santro Xing in Bangalore.

I am very satisfied with its performance.
I donot have to press the clutch anytime. All I do is just change the gear , and anyway , I have not cared to look at the clutch pedal to see hows it performing, but never felt any problem.

Moreover I have driven my car from Bangalore to Mumbai and back with autoclutch, driven more than 7500 kms with autoclutch.

As a user I am quite satisfied, except that there were some problems sometimes, but then the manual was working anyway, so I took the car to the mechanic and he rectified it..

And I have seen one person from Army who lost his left leg, driving M800 comfortably using his right leg only.

So this product is not meant for anyone but for some who find it convenient...
Old 11th August 2005, 19:21   #25
BHPian

effect on fe

hey id like to know wether the autoclutch has had any effect on your fe!! also is changing gears less time consuming or is it longer??
also when u press the button the clutch is activated so when u release it does it come back slowly or does it give a jerk , cuz if it comes back slowly then it would cause the car to revv if u accelerate untill the clutch is totally disengaged!!and this would also cause a loss in the fe!!
also is there any contact for getting this in delhi!! i'd like to test it for myself!!
Old 17th August 2005, 16:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I feel the FE has increased , though marginally, may be 1-1.5 kms per litre.
Changing gears, is obviously less time consuming, see when u donot have to press clutch , just move the gear and its done, so its obvious its less time consuming.

yes, when you press the button, the clutch gets activated, when you release it and give acceleration , then clutch releases slowly, depending on how much u accelerate. And since it works like a normal clutch , u wud do, it doesnt give jerk, anyone on the road will not know whether this car is running on auto-clutch.

I donot know the contact person in Delhi, but I can give u the contact number of the guy in Bangalore, he gave me contact numbers of ppl in Pune and Mumbai as well, yes there is someone in Delhi who does it, may be you can get in touch with this guy and get the Delhi guys number.

If u want to know the number of the guy in Bangalore , do let me know, I can share the same across to you.
Old 17th August 2005, 16:58   #27
BANNED

speedomania, I think the guy who does this in Delhi is Nivit Bhasin !! atleast he used to but dunno if hes still doing it .. if u want I can get you his number and you can call him directly ..

cheers
Old 6th September 2005, 20:54   #28

Yes, I have it on my Dawoo matiz ; works almost like an automatic trans. ; has a sensor on the gear knob that activates the clutch; however the clutch comes back slowly only on accelerating again. This is irritating; especially, on stop and go ;not sure if thats the way its designed or something is wrong. Am told it slowly releases the clutch like people normally do. I dont know coz i/ve never driven a manual. comments welcome ps. thx.
Old 7th September 2005, 19:48   #29
Senior - BHPian

If it releases slowly, then quick getaways are out of question? And, tanwaramit, you said that you just need to move the lever in order to shift gears...no need to press the button?
Old 11th January 2007, 10:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys, sorry for a late reply, have missed out on this forum for a long time, guess around a year and didnt check your post Deeps, Sorry about that...

The answer to your question to me: Well, there are two kinds of gear knob, one is touch sensitive and the other is with button , yes, I did said that I just need to move the lever in order to shift gears, I mean that when I touch the knob, the button is a small one and I can press it comfortably while changing the gear, its hardly any effort in comparision to manual gear....yes the answer to the clutch gettting released is actually dependent on how much you revv... the higher you revv the faster the clutch gets released (after changing the gears) but yes, I do feel that I am trailing behind other cars when starting from a signal , cos someone or else moves faster than me (comparision with Santro, Indica, Zen, WagonR etc ONLY)

Most Viewed