Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2009, 17:46   #1

Ford Fiesta - Thump sound on braking

There appears to be a thump-thump sound coming in from the brakes on my Fiesta (2 years old, 16K). This is very prominent initially when the car starts but the sound goes down to a low level as the drive progresses.

I took it to the service station (Lathangi Ford, Bangalore) and the service folks told me that the the brake disc has worn down ("abnormally") but that should not be problem at all. Is this really true? This should be a cause for no concern? Frankly, the sound is disturbing me very much, since am used to nice the hum of the Fiesta and the thump comes in the way of enjoying that...

Krishna

Last edited by calvinkrishy : 7th July 2009 at 17:49.
Old 7th July 2009, 18:27   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

So my guess is you'd need to have the discs turned (polished and levelled), with a set of new brake pads. Shouldn't be too expensive, but then it's a Ford... But why the unusual wear? Due to heavy use, or a problem with the brake system? Please ask the A_S_S to check that too.
Old 7th July 2009, 18:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

2 years and 16 K is too darn short for a change of brakes, unless you've been riding on them literally. Please ask the service advisor to check them up. Is it an ABS-equipped car---not that it should make any difference.
Old 7th July 2009, 21:34   #4
BHPian

i also think its a bit too early for brake pad changes!!
btw,is your car still under warranty!!
Old 21st July 2009, 13:37   #5

As per the service advisor the brakes are fine and the sound should not be a cause of concern. Even I haven't observed any problem with the brakes as such all I am worried is that the sound could be a harbinger of something serious in the brakes.

The car is under extended warranty. I plan to take it to them and have it re-looked. What I am frustrated about is the guy's plan of action - replace the entire brake component but without saying anything clearly about the problem at hand (why did it happen?) He also went on to claim this happens in many Ford cars!!!
Old 21st July 2009, 22:22   #6
BHPian

Sometimes i too get some sound (like the sound that comes when you drag any tables) when i apply brakes on the slopes. But otherwise - its absolutely fine...
Old 21st July 2009, 22:50   #7
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
btw,is your car still under warranty!!
Brake pads are usually not covered under warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks