Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2005, 23:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The main thing is to make sure you don't keep the engine at the same RPM for a long time.
could you please explain ??
Old 21st June 2005, 00:00   #17
bhp
BHPian

when i had got my maruti wagonR i was told by viteese that there is no speed limit wat so ever even for the first 1000 kms in an maruti car . so i assume the same applies for the swift also
Old 21st June 2005, 09:39   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I am sorry but I would beg to differ. The days of the old Ambi and Fiats are gone. All the new cars use state of the art manufacturing technology and the engines are well run in. It would be playing safe to not redline the car (not because it will cause any harm) but as a thumb rule.

You can comfortably rev to 6k in any gear. There is no evidence or info from anyone who says that it is unsafe/harmful to rev the engine of the new MPFI(petrol) cars.
Absolutely untrue! Modern engines or not, any piece of mechanical equipment requires a "bedding in" period.

In addition, its not only the engine that requires a running in but also your tyres and transmission.

I carefully run in all my cars and the results are there to see:

1. Mahindra Classic - The only one that the Mahindra workshop has seen with absolutely no engine work required at 110,000 kms.

2. Maruti Esteem - 140,000 kms up. Running smooth. No engine work yet.

3. Maruti Zen - Sold it at 150,000 kms. Current owner is happy at 180,000 kms.

Theres a reason why everyone from Honda to GM to Mercedes Benz recommend new car owners to run in their cars carefully.

GTO
Old 21st June 2005, 10:14   #19
BANNED

GTO,

I stand by what I say "there is no evidence to support this theory".
Anyways fyi I have and have owned cars which have crossed 1,50,000kms and 2,50,000 kms which have not gone through any kind of running in.

Lets just leave it at ones individual driving styles and overall care. Merely by running in the engine you cannot achieve longivity of the engine several other factors come into play as well like regular oil changes, tune ups to name a few.

As far as the topic in question goes it is to ones individual driving style as I'm sure 90% of the people have more than one individual driving the same car in different styles. There is no way to guarantee long life even after running in the same. although the saying "prevention is better than cure may apply".

Viper
Old 21st June 2005, 11:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
2. Maruti Esteem - 140,000 kms up. Running smooth. No engine work yet.
Hey you found your Esteem ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Theres a reason why everyone from Honda to GM to Mercedes Benz recommend new car owners to run in their cars carefully.

GTO
Where do they recommend ?? I mean Our Alto's manual states normal precautions but nothing specific for the initial X Kms ???

But yes I do agree that the transmission does sets in as per initial usage.
Old 22nd June 2005, 00:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
could you please explain ??
Adya,
The engine should be run in a different RPM's .. One should not be cruising at the same speed when running in a new cars.. The engine should undergo different stresses at different RPM's so the engine tolerances become ok at all operating speeds...
Old 22nd June 2005, 01:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

thank you evo6 for that info
Old 5th August 2005, 13:12   #23
BHPian

Puc

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know regarding Pollution Under Control certificate.

My Swift is 2 months old.
When do I need to get the PUC done?
What is the requirement for PUC for a new car?

Cheers
Old 5th August 2005, 14:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsailor
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know regarding Pollution Under Control certificate.

My Swift is 2 months old.
When do I need to get the PUC done?
What is the requirement for PUC for a new car?

Cheers
I checked Maruti on this & the guy told me it is not required for MPFI engines. But I doubt that.
Old 5th August 2005, 14:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
I checked Maruti on this & the guy told me it is not required for MPFI engines. But I doubt that.
generally it is not required but traffic police do ask for it.
better to keep it.

For new car PUC is not needed for one year in Pune
but I think it will be approx Six months
Old 5th August 2005, 14:45   #26
BHPian

Surprised...

Quote:
Ummm...Very Surprising this info on MPFI. To an extend, could be rather true too.
Say, one goes for a PUC certification and finds that the specs are a bit off! What do you do? Change the ECM settings During my younger days when the PUC thing was still a new fad, the PUC guy actually adjusted the carb of my father's LML vespa scooter.

More on this MPFI thing would be interesting.

BTW, Surprise, did you locate the tire psi sticker on your Swift?

Cheers
Old 5th August 2005, 18:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

new cars dont require PUC for the first 6 months.after that mpfi or no-mpfi,PUC is a must
Old 8th August 2005, 14:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsailor
BTW, Surprise, did you locate the tire psi sticker on your Swift?

Cheers
Yes, I did locate it. As mentioned earlier, I had filled up 30psi & wanted to fill it to correct level of 33 psi. Two days later, I went to a different bunk to raise the level by 3 psi.

The current level showed only 27 psi in all the tyres then, though Iam confident I had filled it up to 30 psi the other day. This was on Saturday.

This evening I am going to check it again to find out whether there is any drop in the psi.

What could be the reason of the sudden drop in psi level?

When I was going through the SWIFT manual, I found that initial set through period (running in period) for the engine needs to be followed for the first 960 kms ( though not sure about this number)

Last edited by Surprise : 8th August 2005 at 14:50.
Old 8th August 2005, 15:52   #29
BHPian

Umm...

Quote:
Yes, I did locate it. As mentioned earlier, I had filled up 30psi & wanted to fill it to correct level of 33 psi. Two days later, I went to a different bunk to raise the level by 3 psi.

The current level showed only 27 psi in all the tyres then, though Iam confident I had filled it up to 30 psi the other day. This was on Saturday.

This evening I am going to check it again to find out whether there is any drop in the psi.

What could be the reason of the sudden drop in psi level?
Not sure bout that, bru. Perhaps the wheels were not 'cold' - you might have driven a few kilometers to reach the air-fill pit and the tyres were Hot! Pehaps the pump gauge could be in error.

Quote:
When I was going through the SWIFT manual, I found that initial set through period (running in period) for the engine needs to be followed for the first 960 kms ( though not sure about this number
Your figure is correct, if I recall correctly. H'ever even with 1300 odd kms down, I am still taking it easy. All gears upshifted at 2000 revs max and roof is at 100 kmph though am guilty of 135 kmph on a few occasions on the Flyway; kya karein, control hi nahin hota

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks