Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2010, 21:52   #46
BHPian

Re: OHC Fuel Economy Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda3938 View Post
friends i have a query that i am not able to fill above 35lts of petrol in my ohc.even if the needle is on red mark does anybody else face this problem.the petrol pump automatically cuts off .

I didn't have any particular limit like 35l but when i did sense a lower amount of petrol getting in even after rewuesting for a full-tank fillup, my dad advised me to shake the car by pressing on the boot side.
It might look silly when you do that in a crowded petrol pump but it did solve my problem pronto. Seems that air accumulates at some of the cells inside the petrol tank - it's called airlock i think. I believe there's a fuel vent valve to prevent this from asking but it might have got blocked.

This is what you ought to do:
  1. Request a full-tank fillup.
  2. Wait till the auto stop kicks in.
  3. Walk up to the left back of the car.
  4. Roll up your sleeves and tuck in your belly and push the boot down and let it bounce back up.
  5. Repeat the pushing a couple of times and refill.
  6. Hopefully it should start drinking again.
Disclaimer: This won't work if you've got stiffened shocks for obvious reasons.
Old 24th December 2010, 04:38   #47
Senior - BHPian

OHC Fuel Economy All Izz Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnraghu78 View Post
Dear All,

I bought a used OHC 2003 1.3 DX couple of months back from my friend. I was getting around 13 KMPL FE in city. Last week, I went on long drive for 850 kms on nice roads . Surprisingly, I got only 14.7 as FE with A/C for the entire trip (calculated FULL TANK TO FULL TANK).
Can I do something to get better numbers. Here is some information about the car.

Thanks,
Raghu Lakshman
I drove an OHC 1.3 for 10 years and the figures you have quoted are par for the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
dude - u need to be happy with this figure. i dont think any one can give u tips to better that. of couse i have heard figures like "13-15KMPL WITH FULL A/C ON IN BUMPER TO BUMPER CITY TRAFFIC FROM A 1.5 EXI " from some members but i take that with a bucket load of salt.

i, for one, believe ur city figures are quite good. so dont expect highway figures to jump up in proportion to that.
^^+1 on your statement regarding the 1.5 as well as the salt. The 1.5 OHC had obviously a bigger engine but also taller top gears. The result was poorer in-city consumption but on the highway it did better than the 1.3 by at least a couple of kms to the liter. As for the 1.5 VTEC, I had one with me for the entire 2008 and it was a rare top up when I got into double digits. I Rrrriiiiiiiped it every time I was on the highway and that was every day
Old 25th December 2010, 20:55   #48
Senior - BHPian

I did Blore-Hubli (410kms) in just 15.7ltrs this time. That's an average of 26kmpl!!!

This is due to the new Nelamangala flyover that bypasses almost 7-8kms of chaotic traffic, which used to drop the FE to 22-23kmpl.

I know, even i'm having trouble believing this. So i plan to do another B'lore trip in the near future to see if i can repeat this feat.

Driving speed - 80-90kmph
Tyre pressure - 34psi
No A/C

Shan2nu
Old 27th December 2010, 12:38   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
I did Blore-Hubli (410kms) in just 15.7ltrs this time. That's an average of 26kmpl!!!

This is due to the new Nelamangala flyover that bypasses almost 7-8kms of chaotic traffic, which used to drop the FE to 22-23kmpl.

I know, even i'm having trouble believing this. So i plan to do another B'lore trip in the near future to see if i can repeat this feat.

Tyre pressure - 34psi
No A/C

Shan2nu
Shan, thats fantastic mileage.
Yes, for OHC, optimal speed to be maintained for excellent FE is 80ish kmph.
Recently I did a trip to Shimoga from Bangalore, my max speed was 85kmph, and most of the time it was 80kmph, Fuel was Shell Normal, the FE I got was 21.43kmpl
OHC is just an amazing vehicle, fun to drive, doesn't blow your pocket too..
Old 30th December 2010, 13:46   #50
Senior - BHPian

Thanks.

It all comes down to feeling what the car is doing. There's a very thin line between less throttle and too much throttle.

A combination of vehicle speed, engine speed and throttle position, can make any car give good fuel economy.

I've previously got 15kmpl on this stretch from our petrol Innova with A/C. Now that the flyover is complete, i'm expecting that figure to increase a bit.

PS : One car i'd love to test is the Accord V6 with its VCM technology.
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:38   #51
BHPian

Folks, I am having some fuel efficiency woes with my Maruti Esteem MPFI (2007 model), so decided to raise the question here.

I'd to get my clutch plate changed in July last year and I think I've been getting low mileage since then. Before the change, I used to get ~14Km/l in city & ~16 Km/l on highways, A/C off. After the clutch plate change, the FE has gone down to ~12 in city & ~13 on highway. Quoting this figure from the FE I got from my latest drive. Got the car serviced (Engine Oil/Filter changed, Air filter changed & general check up). Didn't get the fuel filter changed as the mechanic told since there are no jerks while acceleration, no change is needed. My driving style has remained almost similar, except that now on highways I sometimes go in excess of 120 Km/hr. Earlier used to stay around 100-110 Km/hr. But city driving is pretty much the same.

Furthermore, there are no other issues with the car. Idles smooth, pickup is as expected and there are no jerks while shifting gears. The method of calculating FE has always been full tank to full tank from the same bunk.

Is there anything wrong, or is it just cause of the car aging? BTW, the car has done ~41K Km.
Old 24th May 2011, 17:53   #52
BHPian

OHC 1.5 Exi owners, how much kms do you get for a half tank of petrol? I got approximately 220kms with mixed driving. I'm running an ffe and 195/55/R15 tires on 28psi.
I feel mine is low..

Last edited by di1in : 24th May 2011 at 17:55.
Old 28th October 2012, 23:05   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
OHC 1.5 Exi owners, how much kms do you get for a half tank of petrol? I got approximately 220kms with mixed driving. I'm running an ffe and 195/55/R15 tires on 28psi.
I feel mine is low..
So I am answering my own question here for anybody that might be interested. I did a run from Coimbatore to Bangalore today. Here are the details:
  • 4 Passengers
  • Roughly 50kg of luggage
  • AC on all the time
  • 45mins of traffic block at Hosur
I was able to clock 382 kms on half tank.
Old 11th November 2013, 23:39   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post

Tyre pressure - 34psi
No A/C

Shan2nu

Sir can you please tell me how did you get that FE?
I have recently bought a 2001 Vtec and the max I got in the city was somewhere close to 12 with 50% AC. I haven't tested the car on highways yet as the rubber needs to be changed.
Old 20th March 2014, 12:49   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
Sir can you please tell me how did you get that FE?
I have recently bought a 2001 Vtec and the max I got in the city was somewhere close to 12 with 50% AC. I haven't tested the car on highways yet as the rubber needs to be changed.
I usually get very good mileage when I cruise at around 2000RPM in 5th with a steady foot, and windows up. I think the speedo is at 70 or so for that.
di1in is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks