Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 11:09   #1
BHPian

Leh Trip : Preparing a Carb car

I am planning to take my Carb Esteem 97 to Delhi-Manali-Leh-Srinagar-Jammu-Delhi trip. I am sure most of the team bhp members are aware about the terrain and conditions over there.

Considering the age of the car, I would like to take some advice on how to ensure that car performs to its optimum level at high altitudes, and to minimize the chances of stalling or getting stuck somewhere.
Old 20th July 2009, 11:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Learn how and when to advance/retard ignition timing. Might help at higher altitudes.
Leave the fuel mixture as it is. At high altitudes, it will just run a bit richer which is good for the engine.
Old 20th July 2009, 11:30   #3
Sha
BHPian

Contact Swastikviji he has good knowledge how to configure carb, recently he completed 8000 KM in Carb Gypsy.
Old 20th July 2009, 11:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Learn how and when to advance/retard ignition timing. Might help at higher altitudes.
Now this is something I seriously need to consider, I have come across this term quite a few times and have no idea what it means. I guess last time it was mentioned to me was when I was gathering knowledge on Bullet.
Old 20th July 2009, 14:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Carry a couple of air filters and like Nitrous mentioned you have to have the knowledge of advancing/retrarding the timing as Oxygen get low and Carb engines find it difficult to manage the climb.

Get your tyres/suspension and get some protection for underbelly like skid plates done.

Get everything checked, the esteem should be in a gr8 condition before you start the trip as i dont want to repeat what you did in Shimla/Kufri.

Rest i think you have to drive/negotiate the potholes/snow/slush carefully and you would be good to go.

cheers
Old 20th July 2009, 16:07   #6
BHPian

Thanks Sunny Bhai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Get everything checked, the esteem should be in a gr8 condition before you start the trip as i dont want to repeat what you did in Shimla/Kufri.
After that I got a new clutch installed. I have also been told that if the car stalls on steep inclines that Choke is helpfull.

Regarding the timing, I guess I will get it done in Manali itself. Also GD told me to remove one of the pies from Carb and close it, it would good for higher altitudes.

What about Underbelly protection ? Where to get it done in Delhi and approx costing ?
Old 20th July 2009, 16:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
What about Underbelly protection ? Where to get it done in Delhi and approx costing ?
Lordofgondor just returned from a Leh trip in his Esteem - you could check with him.
Old 20th July 2009, 19:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Go to the guys that build/repair buses and trucks - and ask them to make a sump guard for you with a thick sheet of aluminum(6mm - 8mm thick sheet should do the trick ).
Old 21st July 2009, 11:02   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Shashank, you might want to screen through this thread too.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:43   #10
BHPian

Thanks GTO, have gone through that thread earlier. The Picture of Tavera stuck in mud makes you thing twice. But thats the fun part, the unpredictability of it all.

here are two major factors in my mind, the Underbelly and Carburetor.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks GTO, have gone through that thread earlier. The Picture of Tavera stuck in mud makes you thing twice. But thats the fun part, the unpredictability of it all.

here are two major factors in my mind, the Underbelly and Carburetor.
get a proper sump guard done , and about the carb - well I don't think there should be anything much to worry about, learn to tune the carb if you already don't - and make it a little rich when you are up in the hills (well, might not be necessary too, as the AFR would become rich anyways as the altitude increases )

You might want to go to any of the guys that prepare cars for Raid De Himalaya and get your car checked - I don't think you would have anything to worry about then!
Old 21st July 2009, 14:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
You might want to go to any of the guys that prepare cars for Raid De Himalaya and get your car checked - I don't think you would have anything to worry about then!
Seems like a good advice.

Does anyone know about someone who does this ?
Old 21st July 2009, 15:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

In the process of fabricating a sump guard, make sure you don't lose your ground clearance.
Old 25th July 2009, 11:45   #14
BHPian

I talked to couple of modifiers y'day was quoted figures of 10K +, for Sump Guard and fuel tank guard. However have also been told that it can be done by people making bodies of trucks and buses for much lesser price.

Does anyone has nay experience with that ? I guess I need a body maker who has already done the job, because I have no idea of cars anatomy on the lower side.

Secondly, Just tried using the Choke, as have never used it since I have this car, and once I pulled the choke, the engine dies out. It did not start when choke is pulled on. However once I relase the choke, in the next self it sputters back to life. My Mechanic said he has to open the carb and change the Diaphram (I did not get what he was trying to say, I am assuming this is what he said).

And lastly, what is Dholki is in English, I know its the part ofthe exhaust pipe, but what is it called in english and what is exact function ?
Old 25th July 2009, 12:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

ask gondor. he got it in 6500+ tax from Motorcraft!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks