Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 12:24   #1
BHPian

Question over car dimensions

I have a question while going through a car's UK website. I came across dimensions given as "width 1720mm without mirrors" . But here on Indian sites it is given as "width 1720mm".

So a basic question popped in my head when manufacturers define dimension do they consider width as say mirror-to-mirror or from car's sidewall-to-sidewall ?

So if it was mirror-to-mirror then 1cm longer mirror on each side directly means 20mm increase in width and so when that car is compared with competition it may seem wider on paper than the actual width.Some other dimension may also be as ambiguous as this.

If this has been discussed somewhere else maybe somebody can point me to that thread.
Old 20th July 2009, 13:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Some manufacturers do mention dimensions of the vehicle, with and without the ORVM.
Old 20th July 2009, 14:23   #3
BHPian

Inner dimensions

Good topic, IMHO.
When it comes to garage space, dimension with mirror may be an important factor. Some people have to fold the mirrors before they enter the garage.
It would also be nice to know the inside dimensions of say hatchbacks. There may be up to 75 mm difference in the inside width at the rear for hatches with 5 person seating capacity. If the manufacturers' websites do not provide the data, we can compile the same.

Most Viewed