Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 18:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Heater Not Working - Does it matter

Just realised that the heater in my fiat is not working. Does it really matter since i dont need to use the heater here in Kerala.

What could be the issue, how much could it cost and should i really bother to get it rectified (since i dont use it)

I've heard that the heater uses coolant to heat the cabin. Thats why i'm concerned if this would lead to some other major problem.HELP
Old 20th July 2009, 18:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

If in doubt always visit a service center
Old 20th July 2009, 19:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the quick response. I really dont want them to open the dash (Which is the first thing they'l do) if its not really necessary and unless this could be a symptom of something else wrong in the coolant flow system which could lead to a bigger issue.
Old 20th July 2009, 19:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Thanks for the quick response. I really dont want them to open the dash (Which is the first thing they'l do) if its not really necessary and unless this could be a symptom of something else wrong in the coolant flow system which could lead to a bigger issue.
You will come to know of this only if you visit a service center. Best of luck!

To be frank it doesnt look like a major thing to me... it might even be a case of blown fuse.
Old 20th July 2009, 19:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

My HVAC knob works for the first few days after fixing it. and then it dies.

In kerala , I've never had to use it, and even when i did, my folks found it suffocating. never bothered too much about it ...
Old 20th July 2009, 20:42   #6
BHPian

It wouldn't matter as you stay in Kerala :-) but you need to find out the root problem so it would be better if you show it to your service center.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:26   #7
BHPian

You need it if you drive during heavy rains. A few seconds of heated air on the windscreen works wonders.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

i have never used the heater in my GTX - but if i turn the temp knob to the red portion (with AC on) it blows hot air.

yes they will first open up the dash (the centre portion) to access the switches. they have already messed with the clock - the clock in my GTX works but the back light conked off when they tried opening the dash. they have replaced the clock bulb (push type) once - but it conked off again. :(
Old 21st July 2009, 14:20   #9
BHPian

Just ensure that the coolant circuit for the engine is working fine. Does the coolant temperature needle stay in reasonable limits? Ensure that your coolant is not leaking anywhere.

If the issue is with the heater valve, then I don't think it is a problem

Satish
Old 21st July 2009, 14:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all responses.

I checked the flow of coolant by removing the pipe which returns coolant back into the coolant tank. The coolant flow is normal and increases with accelration. SO i guess the engine cooling system s working perfectly. Was woried that there would be some problem with this system and this is affecting heating of cabin. Since the coolant flow system is working normally can i ignore the cabin heating system not working. I seriously dont want them to open the dash and screw up something again.

Tried turning the knob to red and back to blue listening for any sounds of anything moving/working but could not hear anything. The guy at the sevice centre said that the switch was workind and it could be a block in the coolant flow system into the cabin heating system. Said i could correct it during next service. SOmehowi had a feeling he was not very sure and just did not wanto work on the car at that time.

PLease advice.
Old 21st July 2009, 14:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

with AC on and the temp knob turned to red the temperature needle will not drop (the temperature needle drops with AC on and cooling / knob turned to blue - i am sure you know about this) - if it doesn't drop and blower blows hot air - the heater is working fine.
Old 21st July 2009, 15:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

The blower does not blow hot air even if the knob is in the red zone. That is the issue. A/C for cooling the cabin is working fine.
Old 21st July 2009, 15:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

IIRC there is a fuse which controls the HVAC unit - check the user manual. but i think it will be of less help.
Old 21st July 2009, 17:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need it if you drive during heavy rains. A few seconds of heated air on the windscreen works wonders.
Why would you need hot air during rains?
Old 21st July 2009, 17:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

The only use of heater in Kerala (excpet places like Munnar) is to cool down the engine.

While idling, turn on the fan with heater knob turned to max. you can actually see the temperature needle going down.

@Srijit: I don't think so (Especially in humid Kerala weather). If it is only heater, it is not going to clear the mist on the inner side of the windshield. (AC+Heater will work wonders)

Last edited by clevermax : 21st July 2009 at 17:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks