Team-BHP - Which Body Cover for my Swift? EDIT : Bought MGA Tyvex
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Which Body Cover for my Swift? EDIT : Bought MGA Tyvex (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/62065-body-cover-my-swift-edit-bought-mga-tyvex.html)

Hi

My vehicles body cover got torn in heavy winds this week. It initially had a tear from the dogs and it got aggrevated with the winds.

I want to buy a new one. MGA is quoting INR 1090 for a silver color one with 80% resistance to water seepage and INR 1800 for a white color one with 100% resistance to water.

Can anyone guide me if its the right pricing ? And does it make sense to go for white one in BLR ?

Appreciate your thoughts on the same

MODS: Couldn't find any thread on the same topic. If exists, kindly merge with the same. Thanks

You can try the Recaro brand. I have been using them for a few years now and they've stood the test of time and are sturdy and a snug fit over the body.

They are not entirely waterproof, but serve the purpose for me as I have covered parking at home.

Although you've not sepcified what model of car you own, INR 1090 sounds like an ok price. 1800 is too steep. For that price, you can buy a Dupont Tyvek, which is the best car cover in the business. Discussed here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ers-worth.html

Secondly, get it clear that there is no cover which is 100 pct resistant to water. If you're planning to use it in rains, my suggestion would be to rather leave the car open. Putting on a sealed cover will make moisture accumulate underneath which will ultimately crack the paint finish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpa (Post 1393745)
You can try the Recaro brand. They are not entirely waterproof, but serve the purpose for me as I have covered parking at home.

Mine is open parking. Parked below a tree outside my home. No parking inside the rented house :Frustrati.

Quote:

Originally Posted by predatorwheelz (Post 1393758)
Although you've not sepcified what model of car you own, INR 1090 sounds like an ok price. 1800 is too steep. For that price, you can buy a Dupont Tyvek, which is the best car cover in the business. Discussed here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ers-worth.html

Secondly, get it clear that there is no cover which is 100 pct resistant to water. If you're planning to use it in rains, my suggestion would be to rather leave the car open. Putting on a sealed cover will make moisture accumulate underneath which will ultimately crack the paint finish.

Will explore the option of Dupont. Cannot keep the car in open due to dust and all. Generally use my car only on weekends. Hence neeed a reliable cover for the same.

I am more inclined towards Tyvek cover.

My only concern is that can it be torn by puppies or dogs easily ? I have lots of puppie near my home and was wondering if its worth to got for it or not.

Your thoughts are highly appreciated

Quote:

Originally Posted by lambuhere1 (Post 1393920)
I am more inclined towards Tyvek cover.

My only concern is that can it be torn by puppies or dogs easily ? I have lots of puppie near my home and was wondering if its worth to got for it or not.

Your thoughts are highly appreciated

Take my suggestion. Forget Tyvek, Recaro and all such fancy names. Buy a coarse tarpaulin cover (the kind truckers use to cover their cargo beds in rain) for 200-300 bucks and cover your car. Even if the pups unleash hell, there's no way that the thing will tear!:uncontrol

Jokes apart, Tyvek is made of extremely expensive breathable material. If you do decide to spend so much money, keep the canines at bay at any cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by predatorwheelz (Post 1394244)
Tyvek is made of extremely expensive breathable material. If you do decide to spend so much money, keep the canines at bay at any cost.

I cannot keep the cannies at bay, since lots of constuction activity is going on near my place. I have already seen two generations of puppies in here.

Can doggies tear apart Tyvek body cover ? Any ideas

Quotes number for the body cover in BLR is around 2000 INR

Quote:

Originally Posted by predatorwheelz (Post 1393758)

I believe you can get a cover with waterproof material. The stitching is where the water comes in from.

3 - 4 days ago, I went to a shop to buy one. I clearly asked the shopkeeper if the material is totally waterproof. He confidently said yes. I asked to test it... as I didn't want to waste time to go all the way to return it. He made a depression in a part of the cover and poured some drinking water. There was no visible leak. I just lightly sweezed the area from below, and my hands became wet! Cover rejected, of course...

My motorcycle cover on the other hand seems waterproof. Only a few drops get in from the stitched areas. My earlier car cover also had waterproof material.

So check the cover material you buy. Thats the most imp. thing. Some water will get in thru the stitched area (in most cheaper covers at least)... but its not much. IMO, its much better to use such covers compared to keeping the car uncovered. A cover without waterproof material is an absolute no-no.

Using heavier, thicker materials like tarpaulin may cause scratches while putting on/taking off the cover. They are "noisy" too. But yes, is should be much more canine resistant.

The silver parachute material covers can be had around Rs. 450 and upwards, depending on shop/quality. Don't know about the MGO covers. They sound too expensive to me. The MASS quoted something like Rs. 1,200 or so. Has anybody actually used them?

Am still urgently looking for a waterproof cover in Pune. If anybody knows where I can get one that really works, please lemme know. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 1394307)
I believe you can get a cover with waterproof material. The stitching is where the water comes in from.

You didnt get my point. Maybe I didnt word it clearly.

Of course you can get 100 pct waterproof covers. But my concern is not the water that comes in from outside, it is the water that forms inside.

A cover made of waterproof material traps the air inside. Due to being hotter than ambient air, the mositure in the trapped air condenses and settles on the body of the vehicle. It does not evaporate, and seeps into the paint causing it to crack up.

If you have to, do cover your vehicle in case of a downpour. But make sure the cover does not stay on for any length of time. Modern vehicle paints are deisgned to withstand years of rain and sun. I think if you cant arrange for a covered garage, it is better to leave it absolutely open.

There are many fake Recaro covers floating in accessories stores for 500-600/- bucks.
stay away from them.

Btw why do you need a Cover? I mean unless the car is subjected to bird poop or isn't used very frequently, or it gets damaged by kids why would you need one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by predatorwheelz (Post 1394339)
You didnt get my point. Maybe I didnt word it clearly.

Of course you can get 100 pct waterproof covers. But my concern is not the water that comes in from outside, it is the water that forms inside.

A cover made of waterproof material traps the air inside. Due to being hotter than ambient air, the mositure in the trapped air condenses and settles on the body of the vehicle. It does not evaporate, and seeps into the paint causing it to crack up.

If you have to, do cover your vehicle in case of a downpour. But make sure the cover does not stay on for any length of time. Modern vehicle paints are deisgned to withstand years of rain and sun. I think if you cant arrange for a covered garage, it is better to leave it absolutely open.

Well, our vehicles have always had covers on them - for car and bikes both. I have never really observed condensation inside. I guess its not really fair to talk about bikes as there are hardly any points where the cover comes in contact with painted surface. In case of car, there are few drops that seem to seep in thru the stitching and I haven't given them much thought. Well, I have, but have never found a reasonably priced cover that has 100% waterproof joints. Anyway, years of doint this does not seem to have visibily affected the paint.

Though the paint may withstand the rain and UV, it sure does fade headlight/taillam glass/reflectors, dashboard (and very likely affects the tyres too). Using covers has kept all these things from fading. Just observe cars and bikes that are few years old on the roads to see what UV does. And btw, UV is very much present on overcast days too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 1394464)
I mean unless the car is subjected to bird poop or isn't used very frequently, or it gets damaged by kids why would you need one?

1. Car used only on weekends
2. Car parked under a tree, bird s*** possibility
3. Dog/puppy scratches !!!

Above reasons for car cover stupid:

No they are perfectly valid reasons

Does anyone have any idea if MGA has Dupont Tyvex Body covers.

I visited the Showroom for the body cover and was shown the traditional so called parachute material silver body cover for Rs 1100/-. When asked about a good one, they said that they have another MGA body cover which costs somewhere around 1800-1900 INR, but they are not aware of the material. Surprisingly, it comes in white color, same as Dupont one.

Can anyone share thier inputs on the same please ?