Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2009, 13:08   #1
BHPian

Accent viva - refuses to start at signals

Looking for pointers for the below problem.

Using the Exide battery for Accent Viva (02 model ) for the last 3.5 years.

Current problem is that, once in a while, after driving the car for some 20 min or so, if I switch off and try to start immediately, it fails to start up.
The engine cranks, but won’t start. After the engine is cooled down (say after 1hrs or so ), it starts. This problem started in May 2009, occurred three times till july 2009.

When it occured for the first time, checked with service centre. Note that the car always started at the service centre, even though it ran for some time and switched off there. They suggested that battery cell is down and recharged it.

After that, again, the problem keeps occuring occassionally.

Initially, thought it may be because of trying to start when A/C switch is on. But, later found that it may not be teh reason.

Any clues?

Also suggest, the best battery available now for accent, if the car needs a battery replacement.

Last edited by bijuks : 24th July 2009 at 13:11.
Old 24th July 2009, 14:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Check the battery at a battery / car electrical shop. If battery is fine, it could be the starter motor brushes.
Old 24th July 2009, 14:23   #3
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Is there any sign of the car overheating? It could also be a problem with the starter motor, if all the cells of the battery are fine.
Old 24th July 2009, 15:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Your battery is gone. Get it checked via BatMobile or any battery shop. Needless to say, get it replaced. I would recommend Amaron pro. Slightly costly. But worth every penny you pay. Its the latest gel-based totally MF battery.
Old 24th July 2009, 15:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Exide battery for 3.5 years : towards end of life.

Better get it changed when you can before it does a sudden-death on you.
Old 24th July 2009, 15:40   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Is there any sign of the car overheating? It could also be a problem with the starter motor, if all the cells of the battery are fine.
Overheating - did not notice any time. The car starts immediately on pushing it. So, the guess is that problem may be with battery - not sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Your battery is gone.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Better get it changed when you can before it does a sudden-death on you.
Thanks
Old 24th July 2009, 18:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Guys, he says that the engine cranks but will not start, if that is the case, I do not think it is a battery issue. This happens sometimes in carb engines when the air fuel mixture becomes rich but am not too sure if it will occur in an MPFI engine which the Viva has. Again, am assuming it is a petrol Viva, not diesel.
Old 24th July 2009, 18:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

This could be probably due to problem with starter motor brushes as suggested earlier , even i was facing similar problem with my Viva CRDI..
Old 26th July 2009, 13:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Again, am assuming it is a petrol Viva, not diesel.
Yes. It is a petrol one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
This could be probably due to problem with starter motor brushes as suggested earlier , even i was facing similar problem with my Viva CRDI..
Thank you. So, there is a possibility on this too.

Now, any idea about a good Hyundai service station where they can recognize the problem? Any recommended place with the name of contact person would help. The idea is to identify the real problem - so that it won't appear again when the car is on a highway.
Old 28th July 2009, 17:30   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Guys, he says that the engine cranks but will not start, if that is the case, I do not think it is a battery issue. This happens sometimes in carb engines when the air fuel mixture becomes rich but am not too sure if it will occur in an MPFI engine which the Viva has. Again, am assuming it is a petrol Viva, not diesel.
+1 to that. Issue definately points to the starter motor or fuel in. If your motor gear is not engaging properly this could happen. This would lead to overheating of your starter motor also.
Old 29th July 2009, 11:52   #11
BANNED

Look at it analytically.

In a hot engine the engine normally should require less current than a cold engine. Also, the battery is fully souped up, so any overnight discharge is not there.

Then the issues may be - lot of carbon in the engine, upping the compression and hence the power required to crank, or the starter.The number of batteries sacrificed due to bad starters is legend.
Old 29th July 2009, 12:31   #12
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Then the issues may be - lot of carbon in the engine.
Don't quite think it is to do with carbon deposits in the engine. MPFI cars burn fairly clean and leave very minimal carbon deposits. The car not starting on the engine being at its normal operating temperature points to the starter motor going bust.

And yes, I agree with you on good batteries being sacrificed when the problem is indeed with the starter motor. Almost happened to me when I owned a M800.
Old 29th July 2009, 13:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

(Thinking way out of the box here!!!)

This looks like a case of vapor lock!

You guys remember the story of Ford car doing this whenever the owner brought Vanilla flavor ice-cream from a particular shop? Does this ring a bell?
Old 29th July 2009, 14:54   #14
BANNED

@HappyWheels: Agreed. Thanks for pointing this one out.

The pointer to this will be whether it refuses to start immediately after shutting off or after say 5 minutes or more. If the latter than Vapour Lock is definitely a prime suspect.
Old 29th July 2009, 15:04   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
(Thinking way out of the box here!!!)

This looks like a case of vapor lock!

You guys remember the story of Ford car doing this whenever the owner brought Vanilla flavor ice-cream from a particular shop? Does this ring a bell?
That was a GM, IIRC.

Most Viewed