Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 11:11   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitabh_kaushal View Post
Since last month I am facing problem of check engine light. Initially it was coming intermittently but later (after two week) it started to continue glow. Also vehicle started giving starting trouble in morning. Initial acceleration was jerky and sometime car get stopped suddenly. Also it loses acceleration while driving and then I have to shift into lower gear. I went to B.u.bhandari in pune and gave my car for service. They told me its bcos of cam sensor and replaced it. Also they suggested me to took Bardhal engine treatment and somehow I got convinced to do it as my vehicle is around 36K+ Km. After receiving my car it was fine and next day I went to long trip. After 80-90 km run “check engine” light came and car was running fine till that time. But next day it started giving me same old pain. During return I halt at HP pump and filled 10l petrol as I always use IOC extra premium and it was not available. Car problem further increased and it was not going above 80+ for few minutes and I can feel the harshness. After returning pune again I went workshop and they told me that O2 sensor and ECU is probably faulty and replacing them will cost 20K+. I felt they are taking me for granted and not doing justice with job. After talking to works manager and advisor they told me same story and showed me some EMS software which produce all the result. When I asked for codes of ECU which tells the problematic area they said ECU is reset and it cant be given right now. When check engine light appears again they can show me.

Now, car is still giving me starting trouble, its very harsh and it jerks when I try to accelerate it in the morning after cranking it. After a while car goes fine but I can feel it is not so smooth in drive. Also I can hear lots squeaks in-around the car (probably seats or suspension). When I put key and reach to ignition some weired sound comes. The only benefit I have fuel efficiency which is around 12-13 km in city with AC.

Can anyone help me to understand these –

What are the problems related with O2 sensor ?
What are the problems related with ECU?
How much ECU and O2 replacement will cost me outside TASC ?
Can I use Indica vista/Xeta ECU in indigo petrol ?

:- Does anyone in Pune have taken petrol car around 2006 with extended warranty ?
Hi,

I am also facing the same issue what Amitabh has faced....

I have fitted my LPG kit and run alomst 60000 kms without any issues.....Now the dealer is telling me that the issue with ECU could be due to LPG fitment. As such, even now, I am able to run my car with gas mode without any issues...only on petrol, I am seeing the loss of acceleration...Can any one suggest that does this problem need to be addressed only by replacing ECU or any other alternate solution? If this is due to some issues with ECU, does this not reflect even I am running with LPG?

Kindly reply

Regards,

Murugan B S
Old 29th August 2009, 23:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Check your nozzles and injectors. Prolonged unuse of petrol causes such blockages. Cleam them up real good and also clean your fuel pump and pipes. The problem might get solved as basically the issue is with Petrol mode only.
Old 30th September 2009, 15:21   #18
BHPian

Hi all I'm new to this forum. My understanding of fast idle control is for quicker warm-up on cold starts, not for idle control for increased engine parasitic load i.e AC.
Old 21st January 2010, 10:32   #19
BHPian

My LX diesel 38.6K has "check engine" light coming on and off

Since yesterday, I've been facing the same or similar problem too, in my Indigo Marina (LX-2006 38.6K km done so far). This morning the car took a long time to start. I had no driving problem after, but the check engine light would come on and go off every now and again. I could not spot a relationship between cruising, accelerating and the light coming on and going off. But in the back of my mind, it felt like the engine might cut off if I go off the pedal.

There was no overheating. But the sounds did feel just a little different, or just seeing the 'check engine' might be playing tricks on me.

Last edited by wizardofid : 21st January 2010 at 10:42. Reason: more clarity in the sentence
Old 18th March 2010, 17:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hey wizardofid, what was the problem with your LX/ And how was it rectified?
Regards
Old 11th December 2010, 11:33   #21

Re: Details of tata indica /indigo diesel ECU

Your post is really great. But seems amazing is even other diesel IDI engines have all these functionalities but they dont have OBD(diagnostics) which TATA IDI engines have. This has made them meet emission norms till Euro4 with same Engines.

Please continue posting such informations.
Old 12th December 2010, 22:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Re: Details of tata indica /indigo diesel ECU

I have not seen a single ECU that does not have ports to diagnose it.
Old 16th April 2013, 22:46   #23
BHPian

Re: My LX diesel 38.6K has "check engine" light coming on and off

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
Since yesterday, I've been facing the same or similar problem too, in my Indigo Marina (LX-2006 38.6K km done so far). This morning the car took a long time to start. I had no driving problem after, but the check engine light would come on and go off every now and again. I could not spot a relationship between cruising, accelerating and the light coming on and going off. But in the back of my mind, it felt like the engine might cut off if I go off the pedal.

There was no overheating. But the sounds did feel just a little different, or just seeing the 'check engine' might be playing tricks on me.

I have the same problem with my Marina LX 2005 and I was assuming its some loose connection, did you manage to get your problem solved and do you have any suggestion before I reach out to TASS?

Thanks

Vivek
Old 9th October 2013, 13:06   #24
BHPian

ECM problem. Persisting for over 1 year!

Hello BHP-ians. I require urgent advise/ help. Here is my long/ agonising problem.
I bought a second hand 2005 Tata Indigo GLX in Dec 2010. Somewhere after an year of using the car, it started jerking in the 2nd, 3rd and sometimes in the 4th gear. The jerking used to be violent and it often felt like a camel or buffallo-ride. But, the jerking wasn't there in very low RPMs and very high RPMs. It used to completely vanish at these times. So, basically it used jerk if i changed gears at ideal RPMs.
I took the car to my 'Genius' mechanic. His first diagnosis was that the fuel pump in the petrol tank has conked off. I replaced that. Still the problem persisted. Then, he suspected that fuel injectors were the culprit. I got that serviced. Still the problem persisted. Then he suspected problems in throttle body and air intake. He cleaned the whole thing still the problem persisted. At last he gave up, saying that it might be an electrical problem and gave me a number of an electrician who did ECM related work also.
He scanned the car but the scan report did not throw up any problem. He said that the ECM is the problem as he had replaced the ECM with another ECM and the car ran perfectly fine (I wasnt present there at the time he replaced the ECM and tested it and took his word). I enquired about a new ECM and got know that it would cost about 10000/-. The electrician said that he could arrange for a second hand ECM in a good condition for 3000/-. I thought it would be a good idea and went in for it. After nearly an year, the car started running perfectly after replacing the ECM.
Last week, after nearly a month after replacing the ECM, when i was on my way to Pune, the car again started jerking, but this time only in the 4th gear in the same fasion (i.e. not jerking in high and low RPMs).
Now, I am out of ideas and dont know whom to trust and what to do with the car. I need a permanent solution to this. Please help.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 9th October 2013 at 14:08. Reason: Abusive language even indirectly is not permitted.
pokerface23 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th October 2013, 14:07   #25

Re: ECM problem. Persisting for over 1 year!

Dear pokerface23,

Greetings! My advice to you would be to take your car to an authorized TATA Motors workshop, where they have the right equipment to investigate electrical and electronic systems of your car. Once they take your car through the electronic diagnostic utility, they should be able to detect the trouble codes (DTC in automobile diagnostic lingo) and pin-point the fault.

Problems related to ECMs are hard to detect and only the finest technicians with a lot of experience can get it right every time. The entire wiring harness and connectivity has to be checked before changing a particular part. At least, the authorized workshop will have Repair Manuals which are very helpful in correct diagnosis and eventually lead to correct repair work. Trial and error method is certainly not recommended in such cases and proves to be more expensive in the long run.

Do let me know if you need further clarification on anything.

Happy driving!!!
Parryontheprowl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 14:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

It seems to be an ECM issue, why dont you take the vehicle to the Tata ASS and get their opinion. Also, while I understand your frustration at the problematic vehicle inspite of all the expense incurred already, please refrain from using profanity on this forum. One of the few things that makes Team Bhp stand out is the very clean language used, please help maintain that.
Old 9th October 2013, 14:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

ECM for 3000Rs and 10000RS; sound phoney to me.
Take it to another workshop.
Old 9th October 2013, 14:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface23 View Post
... the fuel pump in the petrol tank has conked off. I replaced that. Still the problem persisted. ... fuel injectors were the culprit. I got that serviced. Still the problem persisted. ... suspected problems in throttle body and air intake. He cleaned the whole thing still the problem persisted. At last he gave up, saying that it might be an electrical problem and gave me a number of an electrician who did ECM related work also. ...
Basically the mechanics had no clue regarding source of problem, despite you telling them that the jerking doesn't occur at low or high RPMs. Now please don't go the route of 2nd hand ECU from a dubious source.

Your problem is most likely from either loose contact at a sensor connector, or intermittent shorting. At low or high RPMs there are less vibrations, so look for wherever there is significant play in the connector cable.

Check with a genuine Tata A.S.S. center for the actual cost of an ECU.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 17:54   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Basically the mechanics had no clue regarding source of problem, despite you telling them that the jerking doesn't occur at low or high RPMs. Now please don't go the route of 2nd hand ECU from a dubious source.

Your problem is most likely from either loose contact at a sensor connector, or intermittent shorting. At low or high RPMs there are less vibrations, so look for wherever there is significant play in the connector cable.

Check with a genuine Tata A.S.S. center for the actual cost of an ECU.
I agree. It is extremely rare for the actual ECU to be faulty. As stated above, it is nearly always something simple like a loose contact, faulty sensor or a wiring problem. You need a proper OBD analyser, which can also read the manufacturer and type specific codes and somebody who knows how to work with it and get the right diagnosis.

The only problems I have found on old ECUs (20 - 30 years old) are components that get loose, ie soldering going bad. This is very easy to repair at least on old ECUs. But again, it is very rare indeed.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 09:37   #30
BHPian

Re: Details of Tata Indica / Indigo ECU

Apart from the Tata ASS, could anyone suggest any person or workshop where such type of work (ECM/ electrical/ wiring) is done, and who can be relied upon. I stay in Mumbai around Chembur.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks