Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2009, 19:03   #1

Problem with the suspension of my SX4.

I am Having a lot of trouble with the suspension on the left front side of my 2007 SX4. There is this clanking sound and i can't find the reason for that sound. So i did as my authorized dealer told me and changed the control arm, stabilizer bar, balance rod bushings, bearings and greased the brake pins , but still the its eating my head since the sound is never fading. Mainly on bad roads the sound is unbearable and now I guess it is even affecting my steering, as I am getting a lot of knocking feedback from the steering. Help me out Friends. Thanks.
Old 26th July 2009, 12:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Is your tyre wear uneven ? If yes, then again have a look at lower arm. If not, then lower arms are OK.

Get the entire suspension checked again and ask them as if its " suspension Overhaul ". This might cost a bit, but will solve the problem.

How many kms your car has covered ?
Old 12th September 2011, 22:05   #3
BHPian

Re: Problem with the suspension of my SX4.

Athungo,

I have been facing the same problem with my sx4(Vxi 2007, 50000kms done) too, reading your post makes me feel that i am not probably the only own who's faced the music from the front side. Yes its so frustating that you get goosebumps everytime you see a broken road ahead. So much so for the high GC or the big wheel size of the sx4, the rattling suspension just spoils the fun of both these advantages.

Well today was my seemingly lucky day, seemingly because i am yet to see if the noise remains at bay permanently or not. Took the car to Rana Motors Okhla today and after a brief road test, they put the car to inspection on the lift, with suspects being the steering and/or the suspension parts. Now, since the noise is too high and too rattly, they told me that probably tightening/adjusting the steering wont solve the problem fully, and so maybe they would have to replace the steering, costing around 25,000 plus labour ! If not, then they would check and replace suspension parts one by one.

So they checked and replaced first: Both Side Ends(2x2395/-), Both Side Caliper Pins(254x2). However, the approx 5300/- setback didn't solve the problem, you know the sound was so much and from many places that it seems all parts had individually worn out and had to be individually replaced. So the one-by-one approach was best. They checked again but found nothing and so zeroed in on the steering and told me its time to replace it, and i suddenly felt dizzy to recall the damage to my wallet.

However, i insisted that they recheck and recheck all parts/units again (i must mention here that they never resisted to recheck so many times and never pushed me into replacement of the steering.) Finally we tried the "trial and error" and replaced the shocker mounts(254/- per side) near the windscreen, under the plastic cover where the wipers are mounted. We replaced one side first, and Voila ! the sound had disappeared almost 80%.

Unfortunately it was late when we came back to put the second rubber on, and the staff had packed up for the day. I am going back tomorrow to get the second piece put in, and maybe they will lubricate/replace some other rubbers near the jumping rods. Keeping my fingers crossed, will keep you updated.

Just in case i forget to post the result, you can email me at: visheshjain@live.in

Wish me luck.

Last edited by Vishesh : 12th September 2011 at 22:07. Reason: typo
Old 4th October 2011, 15:33   #4
BHPian

Hello Vishesh,

Any updates on this issue? Did the issue get resolved?
Old 4th October 2011, 15:36   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

what about shocks and springs?
they could be bottoming out.
mine did, and this fixed it.
but then the clank you hear, and the ones i did might be quite disparate.
Old 4th October 2011, 15:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
what about shocks and springs?
they could be bottoming out.
mine did, and this fixed it.
but then the clank you hear, and the ones i did might be quite disparate.
How much did it cost you, and how many kms did you car run at that point of time?
Old 4th October 2011, 15:55   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
How much did it cost you, and how many kms did you car run at that point of time?

Procurement and fitting done with neighbourhood mechanic.
just the shocks for 4400 all inclusive.

Car had done 70k at that point.
Old 4th October 2011, 16:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

For somereason i believe its the strut that has gone kaput. Strut/sprint and mounting plates.

As you have already eliminated the control arm and balancing rod bushings.

Heard a couple of friends having sx4 change their strut just within warranty but had to convince the SA on changing the same in warranty.

Take it to a local shop and get the strut checked and I am pretty sure the Maruthi SA is just delaying to avoid paying under warranty
Old 9th July 2015, 15:49   #9
BHPian

Hello All,

There is a loud "Thud Thud" sound in my Sx4 (D) whenever car goes into the pothole. The car has covered nearly 44k and is single handed driven and is still in warranty rather extended warranty.

I went to M.A.S.S last week, they said its because of bushes, and is not covered under warranty (being rubber components).

Is that Thud Thud sound due to bushes or is it strut? Also, are struts covered in extended warranty?

Thanks in advance!

Amit
Old 10th July 2015, 07:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Hello All,

There is a loud "Thud Thud" sound in my Sx4 (D) whenever car goes into the pothole. The car has covered nearly 44k and is single handed driven and is still in warranty rather extended warranty.

I went to M.A.S.S last week, they said its because of bushes, and is not covered under warranty (being rubber components).

Is that Thud Thud sound due to bushes or is it strut? Also, are struts covered in extended warranty?

Thanks in advance!

Amit

I have the same observation and my FNG too advised replacement of the bushes. The struts and rest of the components are in good condition. Since our car has merely done 34k in six years, the bushes seem to have hardened and I am told that the noise is because of it. Relatively cheap to fix, I just put it on hold till the next service since some camber adjustment is also pending.
Old 16th January 2016, 18:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

I had this problem so got both lower arms replaced. Later I found this - http://www.partsbigboss.in/front-sus...tz-silver.html
Old 5th February 2016, 21:51   #12
BHPian

My Alto k10 has completed 27k kms. Its a 2010 model. Few days ago I was going through older service bills. Then suddenly I came across a statement called "strut mounting need replacement". It was written in the remark column. To my horror from few days I'm having trouble with my front suspension. It makes some weird noise when running on bad patches of road. Rattling sound can be heard from inside the cabin and it feels like the sound is coming from behind the accelerator pedal part. Service station guys said that the whole suspension set need to be changed. Can anyone tell me what are the possibility of total failure of whole set when there is no visible oil leak from the dampers.
Old 7th February 2016, 06:40   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4power View Post
Rattling sound can be heard from inside the cabin and it feels like the sound is coming from behind the accelerator pedal part.
Does the rattling noise disappear when you press the brake pedal even halfway down?If yes,then the noise is from the caliper pins.

This is a common issue across all Marutis/Suzukis.

Have the pins regreased and it will be noise free for up to 2 months or so.

Under this sub forum called Technical Stuff,please type the search term "caliper" , tick the checkbox search titles only and you will find a lot of "masala" on this issue

Last edited by vigsom : 7th February 2016 at 06:47. Reason: Added search terms
Old 14th February 2016, 21:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Does the rattling noise disappear when you press the brake pedal even halfway down?If yes,then the noise is from the caliper pins.

This is a common issue across all Marutis/Suzukis.

Have the pins regreased and it will be noise free for up to 2 months or so.

Under this sub forum called Technical Stuff,please type the search term "caliper" , tick the checkbox search titles only and you will find a lot of "masala" on this issue
No the sound doesn't disappear when the brake pedal is pressed. I've change the steering box yesterday. The dealer told me that the sound is coming from steering column and the price of the column is around 23k. They told me that the steering box is also gone. So need to replace that. After changing the steering box, the rattling noise is reduced to a great extent but still a small amount of the noise can be heard when on rough patches.
Old 12th September 2019, 14:43   #15
BHPian

Hi friends. I am having a peculiar problem with my SX4 2008 87000kms on the odo. When braking with the gear and brake engaged, the car gives a continous tak tak tak sound when slowing down, the sound finally going away after disengaging the gear with car coming to a halt. Any clues guys? I just got the lower arms and other parts replaced due to the well known steering problem of SX4 giving thud sounds over speed breakers and potholes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks