Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 14:26   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Accent CRDi - Rs. 40,000 for axles

Right guys,
I'll have to tell you this as concise as I possibly can.

For the past 15 days, everytime I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left there's this clacking noise coming from somewhere in the front steering/suspension systems. I was unaware what the problem was and I took it to the hyundai service center. The technician took it for a test drive with me and noticed the noise and said this was a problem with the front shock absorber. He then said it wasn't a very serious issue and he'd replace it with the next service.

I then decided to get it fixed a week later and a different technician said he'll test drive it and see whats wrong. This guy said it was the front axle which was the problem and had to be replaced! On further questioning him if it was the suspension or the axle, he said both left and right axles had to be replaced! He then said the two axles would cost a total of Rs. 80,000!!! Even though I was a bit shocked I trusted him and said ok. He then started calling all the hyundai stores around delhi and finally said he could have it ready within a day and that both would cost a total of 40,000 and not Rs 80,000. This really shook me up. First he says 80,000, then he straight away drops to 40,000.

I'd really like your advice. I know you're all experienced motorists and auto enthusiasts. I don't know what to do. He says the axle will break if I continued to drive it without replacement.

The necessary details of my car are

Model - Hyundai Accent CRDi
Mileage - 1,10,000 Kms
Any major accident or damage - Never. The car is in immaculate condition.
Any major parts replaced - None. Only the necessary wear and tear parts as mentioned in the user manuals at 80,000/1 Lac kms.
Any problems before - Never. No breakdowns, no nothing.

I've already agreed to get the job done. It should be ready within a few hours. But do you think I'm being duped? If yes, should I take it up with hyundai or just let it be? He says he'll give me the old parts after its replaced.

Thanks in advance guys

PS: I did some googling and look what I found

Link 1 : NDTV Auto - Hyundai Accent CRDi User Review : Unreliable car, Like most Hyudai models problems occur after the 3rd year. Costly and painful - A Review on Hyundai Accent CRDi by Srao
Link 2 : Autocar India Forums: Axle problem Accent CRDi

Last edited by ByDesign : 27th July 2009 at 14:36.
Old 27th July 2009, 14:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why dont u try to get it from outside. The axles would turn out to be way way cheaper if you buy the original from outside and get it fixed from a mechanic.
Old 27th July 2009, 14:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Right guys,
===========
I've already agreed to get the job done. It should be ready within a few hours. But do you think I'm being duped? If yes, should I take it up with hyundai or just let it be? He says he'll give me the old parts after its replaced.

Thanks in advance guys

The Maruti esteem axel cost 2400 RS each, mitsu Lancer axel cost 3800, Where is this service center in delhi? The axel will not break like that, he is just trying to make some really quick bucks. If i am not wrong it has a bosch axel, go to a authorised bosch showroom, ask them for the price. good thought of posting it here before getting fleeced.

Thanks,

Pramod

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th July 2009 at 20:44. Reason: Please avoid Quoting an entire large post. Thanks
Old 27th July 2009, 15:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
The Maruti esteem axel cost 2400 RS each, mitsu Lancer axel cost 3800, Where is this service center in delhi? The axel will not break like that, he is just trying to make some really quick bucks. If i am not wrong it has a bosch axel, go to a authorised bosch showroom, ask them for the price. good thought of posting it here before getting fleeced.

Thanks,

Pramod
Ah see, thats the thing, we've already given the car to get it done.
Old 27th July 2009, 15:59   #5
BHPian

Boss, I think you are being duped! This surely doesnt require AXLE replacement. At best problem could be that the lower arm joints would have worn out or the spider/drag links would have given away. This can be repaired outside for fraction of a cost. These service stations just look at opportunities to swindle customers.
Old 27th July 2009, 16:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

What Hyundai store you took your car to? even i was told about the similar problem by Deep Hyundai people..they quoted me 5k for servicing the axle, i refused as it was not really giving me any problems.what i have learnt from my experience is that you cant trust a CRDI after 45-50k's on odo...
Old 27th July 2009, 16:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Ah see, thats the thing, we've already given the car to get it done.
You shouldn't have. This forum can prove to be remarkably helpful, but sometimes you need to give it a little bit of time for someone to respond to you with a particular solution.

Anyway, now that it's done, my recommendation is to play hardball with them. Find out who the axle manufacturer is, and find out the part number. Then ascertain what it will officially cost you in the market and see what the discrepancy is. Then play hardball with Hyundai and see if they give you a discount.

To be honest, I don't think there's much you can do here. You've clocked over 110,000 km, which means your car's probably at least four or five years old... which means you're outside the warranty. Hyundai will always claim that "This is what it costs, and you ASKED us to do it, so too bad - fork up."
Old 27th July 2009, 16:24   #8
BHPian

You can visit Bosch service station at Rajouri garden & get their views.

We need our bhpian 'SS Traveller' to comment upon this issue.
Dada! where are you?
Old 27th July 2009, 16:41   #9
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
This forum can prove to be remarkably helpful, but sometimes you need to give it a little bit of time for someone to respond to you with a particular solution.
I second this. I have checked on a number of things on this forum even before going to an A.S.S to get the problem checked. Yes, it has added on a few extra days to get the problem fixed but when I do go to get it fixed, I know I am armed with the best knowledge possible, thanks to T-Bhp.

Having said that, it will be good to check with another service centre on the actual cost just to be sure.
Old 27th July 2009, 17:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

I used to have the Accent CRDi. My car's axles were also clicking after 80,000kms of hard driving. The cost to replace then in 2007 was 22,000 per piece. So the cost of 40k told to you is more or less similar to mine.

Drifter
Old 27th July 2009, 20:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Right guys,

For the past 15 days, everytime I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left there's this clacking noise coming from somewhere in the front steering/suspension systems. I was unaware what the problem was and I took it to the hyundai service center. The technician took it for a test drive with me and noticed the noise and said this was a problem with the front shock absorber. He then said it wasn't a very serious issue and he'd replace it with the next service.

I then decided to get it fixed a week later and a different technician said he'll test drive it and see whats wrong. This guy said it was the front axle which was the problem and had to be replaced! On further questioning him if it was the suspension or the axle, he said both left and right axles had to be replaced! He then said the two axles would cost a total of Rs. 80,000!!! Even though I was a bit shocked I trusted him and said ok. He then started calling all the hyundai stores around delhi and finally said he could have it ready within a day and that both would cost a total of 40,000 and not Rs 80,000. This really shook me up. First he says 80,000, then he straight away drops to 40,000.

The necessary details of my car are

Model - Hyundai Accent CRDi
Mileage - 1,10,000 Kms
From the looks of it, what you have is the problem with "drive shaft"... its a common problem with all CRDi Accents. One Shaft will cost you 20000. But I dont think, you need to replace both. Just check with some mechanic where you could lift the vehicle and see it for yourself. Its part where engine is connected to the front wheels.

even i own a CRDi and right now its already due for a drive shaft change. I had replaced right side nearly one year back. And i didnt replace left one since it was okay at that point in time. Now for the past few months, I am hearing the click click sound whenever i turn the wheel. not able to replace due to budget contraints.

you could continue to use the vehicle as long as you dont take fast turns / or travelling more or less on straight roads etc.

Last edited by anToNIcHeN : 27th July 2009 at 20:31.
Old 27th July 2009, 20:39   #12
Team-BHP Support

The price of torque!
Old 27th July 2009, 20:51   #13

Had exactly the same issue with my 2005 Viva Crdi and cost me 40k (20k each shaft) at Safdarjung Hyundai in October 2008 at 80k kms. And interestingly the right shaft just collapsed a week back again and cost me 20k all over again. Seems to be a common issue and you are lucky to get past 100k kms without any issues so far.
Old 28th July 2009, 02:30   #14
BHPian

So morale of the story is turning out to be "Be Ready with 40K cash" when your Accent is nearing 100K on odo.

oops
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
You shouldn't have. This forum can prove to be remarkably helpful, but sometimes you need to give it a little bit of time for someone to respond to you with a particular solution.

Anyway, now that it's done, my recommendation is to play hardball with them. Find out who the axle manufacturer is, and find out the part number. Then ascertain what it will officially cost you in the market and see what the discrepancy is. Then play hardball with Hyundai and see if they give you a discount.

To be honest, I don't think there's much you can do here. You've clocked over 110,000 km, which means your car's probably at least four or five years old... which means you're outside the warranty. Hyundai will always claim that "This is what it costs, and you ASKED us to do it, so too bad - fork up."
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm quoting ghostrider here, but I've read all your replies. We've got the old parts back and the wear and tear on the gear teeth look pretty extensive. And from other reviews I've read about the accent CRDi, its one of the most expensive cars to maintain after 80k kms on the odo. Since we could afford the 40k service I guess we went through it. We're pretty happy with it now. Soon after which I got spanking new dunlop tubless tires for my baby for 14k.

Thanks again for all your feedback, and one thing's for sure. Before I make any major financial committments on my cars again, I will wait for BHP's suggestions :-)

Most Viewed